homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Weight Loss Thread

+15
Teresa
Bitsy Beans
taurusgb
Gien
2boysmum
Rosie
fuddle
cat_smith
PurpleIvy
lollyfin
TP
Admin
wendy
alec eiffel
froogs
19 posters

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

The Weight Loss Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Post  alec eiffel Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:10 am

tenerifeprincess wrote:abit off topic but has anyone seen how much Pauline Quirke from Birds of a Feather has lost she looks amazing.

Yeah, I saw an article about her posted somewhere a little while ago. I think she's on the Cambridge Diet. She has lost a lot of weight, about 5 stone I think, she was having joint trouble so she did it for her health, good luck to her.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  cat_smith Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:21 am

I think it's LighterLife actually. Pity there aren't any near me!

Well great day today. Yoghurt, Salad and S/Salmon (huge weakness) and steak, new potatoes, carrots and broccoli - feeling very smug here. Mum was doing sauted potatoes for Dad so I too a few before and just had them boiled. I didn't have any fried mushrooms and because the steak was huge I cut a piece off at the start and left it. Feel a bit guilty as it was great steak but I will be in control (Mum does HUGE portions). 125ml W/wine spritzer and stopped at that :cheers: . Wanted a 2nd but opened a can of Pepsi Max instead and took myself out of the room. (Dad on his 3rd bottle of red wine pale - there is definitely a genetic/habituated family element to this problem. 3 of his relatives have been in residential addiction clinics and are now tee-total)

Well enough about me. How is everyone else getting on?
cat_smith
cat_smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Gien Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:27 am

Ooo, can I join you? I'm doing slimming world on my own but posting also on the MSE thread. My wegh in day was yesterday and I was 11 stone (69.3 kg). That's the same as I weighed a week after giving birth to my daughter 6 years ago!

I need to increase the amount of exercise I do really as I am also super unfit.

Gien

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:05 pm

I did quite well yesterday (not got any exercise done yet tho!)
I followed alecs advice and was teaching myself to crochet and my dd to knit and we were so caught up in it we didnt have lunch till 2.15, when my tummy rumbled really noisily Very Happy
i am coming up to those dangerous days in the month when i just shovel food in, got to be carbs and got to be sweet! anyone got any advice apart from locking the kitchen door and taking my purse away from me
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  cat_smith Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:17 pm

Well trust DH to ruin my good day. Phoned at about 2200 and I tell him about my good day. And he goes 'oh no, I thought you were going tee-total' In this house? Dream on. So he left me feeling really guilty after telling me a story that he'd been so worried about me last week that he is questioning a decision he made in surgery. Oh lay the guilt on please.

Surprisingly I didn't dwell on it all night and bounced out of bed this morning full of resolve.
cat_smith
cat_smith

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:10 pm

Yeah, Lighter Life, I always get the two of them confused in my addled brain.

In terms of when you've just got to have something sweet at that time of the month I say have it! There's no point getting yourself more wound up by depriving yourself. You know it's going to happen so you can make allowances for it. Also, if you can have nuts eat some, sometimes the cravings are something to do with not having enough magnesium so brazil nuts are a good choice. Oh - chocolate brazils, win win win.

cat_smith don't worry about what your DH has said. This is about you, losing weight, giving up booze, stopping smoking it's a process not an event. You're doing things your way and the best you can right now. You know you dealt with yesterday in a more positive way than you may have done in the past - you toddled off with your pepsi instead of staying around the alcohol. So you should give yourself a bit pat on the back for making the best choice available to you. Your DH wants the best for you and for your relationship but maybe the way he's speaking just isn't helpful to you at the minute. You're in control, you're working the plan through, just stick with it and even though you're not perfect (who is?) your DH will see the changes you're making and realise you're making progress.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:31 pm

Well, who put the self destruct button in my head & made me press the button.
I'm going to be even fatter on Friday.
I vaccuumed half a tub, I mean a Xmas size tub of celebrations yesterday & then last night ordered a chinese take away, there's enough left over for tonight as well.
I know that when you're fed up feeding yourself up only makes you more fed up.
I need to get my head in gear.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:36 pm

Hi Hermum,

I don't see the problem of you having the leftover takeaway as one of your main meals tonight. It's food! If you eat it as your meal and not as a snack then all well with the world surely? As for the chocs, well, they're gone now don't worry about it. Feeling guilty is more likely to make you feel like you've failed and so there's no point in trying. If you're going to eat something then enjoy every mouthful I say!

The question is, what positives can come out of this? Is there anything you can do today to move forward? Even if it's getting up once an hour and marching on the spot for a few minutes it's better than nothing. There is no reason why you have to resign yourself to being fatter on Friday, there are hundreds of decisions to make from now until then, make the positive ones and you'll be grand. And if not then at least ditch the guilt and enjoy the less healthy stuff.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Good for you cat im glad you havent let the guilts spoil your day, i know someone making a remrk like that is enough to push me right back to the beginning with binging again. as long as you are happy with your progress and working in a way that makes you happy thats all that matters
big hugs to cat
oh hermum we all have that button dont we (i know mine is huge!!!) most times i dont realise i have pushed it either till its too late, really wish i knew why i did it. its not the end of the world tho you know you did it and you just need to look at it as a blip on your journey and put it behind you today is another day
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:00 pm

lollyfin wrote:Good for you cat im glad you havent let the guilts spoil your day, i know someone making a remrk like that is enough to push me right back to the beginning with binging again. as long as you are happy with your progress and working in a way that makes you happy thats all that matters
big hugs to cat
oh hermum we all have that button dont we (i know mine is huge!!!) most times i dont realise i have pushed it either till its too late, really wish i knew why i did it. its not the end of the world tho you know you did it and you just need to look at it as a blip on your journey and put it behind you today is another day
Unfortunately most of my days are blips.
I did write a long message for this thread the other day & it got lost somewhere in cyber space.
I did start the Potatoes not prozac thing a while ago. Also known as the sugar addicts diet. (More for the mental health side then losing weight, I think that if that get sorted, the rest will be easier).
Despite spending hours reading about it, I did what you must not do & gave up all bad white carbs at once. 5 days in I felt so ill that I gave up, which was silly as I think that the reaction I had reinforced my suspicions that I should avoid bread, white pasta, sugary cereal etc like the plague.
For anyone who thinks they may have a problem with this, the website is a good place to start, it's radiant recovery, sorry I can't post links.
Anyway I'm off to sort out stuff for ebaying today.
I hope that everyone has a very good day.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  cat_smith Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:09 am

Rosie - don't let one blip spoil your week. As alec said, can you do something during the rest of the week to avoid the Friday dread. Bit of extra exercise. A bit more veg.

lollyfin - don't know whether you consider ginger 'sweet' and like oatcakes. Nairns do some great stem ginger ones that fill you up and take the edge off. Texture is a bit odd but you get used to it.

Today was a good day. Decided not to dwell on DH or resisting a drink come dinner. Focussed on the moment. So we walked down to Greenwich (40min) at lunch at the pub I had a pint of Diet Pepsi and a pint of water (not such a great idea as we had a 50min uphill walk on the way back Laughing , I ordered my sandwich without butter, and scraped off some of the excess mustard. This evening DM did a roast chicken but she's obviously picked up on the fact I'm trying to diet and did me new potatoes and roast for DD. Also didn't push me to have second helpings or huge portion of roast. I filled up with veg and raspberries. And I only drank Squash and Water :cheers: :cheers:

Roll on tomorrow. Although I have to face another roast again (hardship, but I don't have to cook it and the only time DD gets a roast now is when DS and I come to stay and we are both here tomorrow night) so Roast Pork. I WILL resist the crackling. Probably. Maybe. Laughing

Hope everyone else's day was good.
cat_smith
cat_smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:19 am

Thanks all, I know that it's just a blip but a monumental one on day 1 of a diet doesn't I fear bode well. (I still have the other half a tin of celebrations left, but not eaten any today.
Cat you're doing really well. Roast is a pretty good option I always think & so comforting.
Keep up the good work everybody.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:00 pm

I was quite good yesterday and only snacked on some HM bread, wholemeal as well Very Happy ,and a bit of cheese
no bad snackies for me! oh and i did only have 2 slices not all the loaf which i have been known to do.
This morning i am having porridge again, it keeps me going all morning and i dont get that keep on munching thing i seem to get with cereal or white toast, so i think this is the breakfast of choice at the mo until i get sick of the sight of it then may go back to poached eggs on wholemeal toast as they keep me going quite well too.
I am planning on having my daughters sweet potato soup she made formy lunch today (shes a chef, so proud of her Very Happy ) totally clueless about tonight so will have to organise myself or it will be something and chips
hope you are all having a good day so far and not freezing like it still is here!
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  cat_smith Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:41 pm

Morning lollyfin. Nice to see you at flylady central Very Happy Good for you yesterday.

I bounced out of bed again this morning. Clear but definite chill in the air. Hope there is no rain as I have plans for lots more walking today. Meals all planned so hopefully no temptation. I will smuggle in a can of Pepsi Max to the cinema so I won't go near the concessions stand. :cheers:

This tea thing is getting out of hand though. I used to need a bucket to start the day. Then I stopped drinking it at all. Since I got to London its started again. I'm on my third cup already this morning. Mmmm. Need to buy some peppermint tea methinks or I'll turn back into a morning grump until I've had my fix.

Have a good weight loss day all. (and a great Bank Holiday if applicable)
cat_smith
cat_smith

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:07 pm

Hi cat
i thought i needed some organisation and found the frog thread on there and then went to flying so hopefully between the two they can keep me on the straight and narrow Very Happy
you sound very chirpy this morning good for you and am very impressed with the walking plans, making me feel a bit guilty actually Very Happy so i am going to do one of my exercise dvds today. i do really enjoy exercise when i get into the routine and miss it when i dont do it but the holidays messed it all up so time to get back to it i think...and dont want to be totally Embarassed on friday
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  cat_smith Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:41 pm

OK day yesterday. Went to cinema with DSis and BIL. Not overly impressed with film 'One Day'. But got me out of the house.

Eating OK - but did have 4 spritzers with dinner. Boy did I feel it at 0730. Probably a good thing.

Today I'm on my own at parents house. Will be interesting to see how I get on - alone is usually the time I start drinking. So going to take furry beast for a walk and leave wallet at home. Then I have work to do and soup to make. Will just try to keep busy.

Hope everyone else is getting on well.
cat_smith
cat_smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Gien Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:29 pm

Morning all - it's beautiful here today. I've been very good with my food - lots of fruit and veg and I've been exercising a bit too.
Cat, if you want a bit of extra support to help you cut down the drinking, there's a thread on MSE in the debt free wannabe diaries section that I post on a lot. People are very welcoming, no trolls and thete's a few 'challenges' to encourage you if you want to join up. Some people are trying to cut down, other's find that abstinence works. I use it to help me stay alcohol free in the week and then have a drink at the weekends. I've found it a real help.

Gien

Back to top Go down

Post  fuddle Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:42 pm

I have been away for a few days and haven't at all tried. Infact indulged to the point of feeling ill on Saturday. Both DH and I are on a homecooked health kick. I'm not saying we're calorie counting but wholesome food and the most important for me is a smaller plate.

I am in a good place today and ready to tackle this as I never want to feel like I did Saturday.
fuddle
fuddle

Back to top Go down

Post  cat_smith Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:38 pm

fuddle - don't let it drag you down. It was the weekend, and it sounds like you've learnt your lesson Laughing Just start on the fresh fruit and veggies today.

Up and bouncy again today (although I can tell I had a drink last night) Home stewed apple and half banana for Bfast. Yum. Done some paid work. Downed copious amounts of tea, squash and camomile. Think this is the trick - always have a glass of something non-alcoholic on the go. Although it means I need a bathroom break every 20 mins or so. Laughing

Parents away all day so will do nice light salad for lunch and scrambled eggs for dinner. Need to feed DDad, but Mum has taken something out for him and I just need to cook rice and heat. There is enough for me but I WILL be strong.
cat_smith
cat_smith

Back to top Go down

Post  taurusgb Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:56 am

Am I too late to join in please? I need to lose at least 2 stone and I'm all out of proportion which doesn't help me feel good about me.

My stomach looks pregnant, my arms are huge at the top but normal from the elbow down, my legs the same as my arms (just substitute knees for elbows IYSWIM Laughing ). I have a huge chest measurement but very small breasts and this is the FIRST place I always lose weight from ! (oh and why is it that bra manufacturers think that ladies with large chest measurements only need large cups? or those with small cup sizes have a small all round measurement? drives me mad as I find it almost impossible to buy an affordable comfy bra).

I don't like excercise - well to be truthful I HATE exercise - but as a rule walk at least 40 minutes per day to work and back. Unfortunately I am at home sick and have been since late July with no quick end in sight so my walking to work isn't happening. Also I am very tired most of the time and my medication makes me sleep a fair bit. I also have zero energy when awake so this is not going to be a help at all Sad Sad would really like to be part of a supportive group though if you will have me.

taurusgb
taurusgb

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:58 am

Welcome aboard, never to late to join in!

Ikwym in the underwear department, only I'm the other way about, bra makers (especially for the high street) think if you have a small back measurement then you need a small cup size too. Nightmare! *shakes fist at M&S*

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:02 am

alec eiffel wrote:Welcome aboard, never to late to join in!

Ikwym in the underwear department, only I'm the other way about, bra makers (especially for the high street) think if you have a small back measurement then you need a small cup size too. Nightmare! *shakes fist at M&S*

I detest bra shopping it takes forever. I always go for a fitting dont know how people just whip them off the shelf? :affraid:
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:04 am

Me too, I am generally told "this is your size, no we don't have any" Rolling Eyes

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  taurusgb Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:13 am

alec eiffel wrote:Me too, I am generally told "this is your size, no we don't have any" Rolling Eyes

Oh yes been that that plenty of times and have also been told that really if I expect to buy a bra to fit a chest like mine I need to have it specially made 🇳🇴 🇳🇴 🇳🇴

taurusgb
taurusgb

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:15 am

taurusgb wrote:
alec eiffel wrote:Me too, I am generally told "this is your size, no we don't have any" Rolling Eyes

Oh yes been that that plenty of times and have also been told that really if I expect to buy a bra to fit a chest like mine I need to have it specially made 🇳🇴 🇳🇴 🇳🇴

Yikes!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next