homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Weight Loss Thread

+15
Teresa
Bitsy Beans
taurusgb
Gien
2boysmum
Rosie
fuddle
cat_smith
PurpleIvy
lollyfin
TP
Admin
wendy
alec eiffel
froogs
19 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

The Weight Loss Thread Empty The Weight Loss Thread

Post  froogs Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:16 pm

Homemakers I need to loose weight. Anyone care to join me on my journey to losing weight.

I currently weigh 12 stone 7 and I'm starting today trying to eat healthier. My first target is to reach below 12 stone. I haven't been under 12 stone since I had my first daughter.. nearly 7 years agon Embarassed
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

The Weight Loss Thread Empty Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Post  alec eiffel Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:22 pm

Hi,

I don't need to lose any weight but I am on a healthy eating and exercise kick at the minute so I'd love to be part of a thread like this.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  wendy Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:33 am

I can give you a few pounds lol

I'm desperately trying to lose weight too at the moment....so I would love a thread like this Smile
wendy
wendy

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:38 am

My DH was in Norway when the 'awful things' happened and I couldn't cope with the stress so didn't eat and obsessively crossed trained (aint glam, infront of the soaps when kiddies were in bed) I lost 4 lbs which I have put all back on again and hurt my ankle Embarassed

It's still giving my gyp so haven't been on the cross trainer since. I'm going to loosen the tension and try a bit tonight, nothing heavy though.
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:41 am

mags50 wrote:I can give you a few pounds lol

I'm desperately trying to lose weight too at the moment....so I would love a thread like this Smile

You're too kind!

I have been overweight in the past though. I got rid of 3 stone in 2007 and have been maintaining since then so I know what it's like to go through the process and come out the other side.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:53 am

my weights abit up and down. I lost 2 stone on slimfast the problem is you can put it back on when you get slack with it. At the moment im eating sensibly trying to, and having a mixture of slimfast. I do recommend it as a quick way of losing weight. If you want to keep it off you need to modify your diet long term its never easy really. pale

Also exercise helps we all know that i do loads of walking and try and play badminton once a week.

Admin
Admin

https://homemakers.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:25 am

Really? I don't know anyone who has tried slimfast and have always wanted to give it a go. The cost puts me off but I suppose a week or two's worth of lunches would cost more.

I'm going to try it next week when I come back for our weekend break
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:00 am

yes it seems expensive but when you add up what you would spend on lunches it isnt too bad. If you have a savers shop go in there its cheaper. As i say if you stick to it you can lose weight quickly.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:36 pm

Last night I ate a packet of crisps in the kitchen while making DH a cup of tea and stuffed another packet down my body warmer to eat in the bath. I do this all the time, hide food and then scoff it naughtily. I don't even enjoy it when I do this. I don't know why I do it!

I came down and confessed and he said I need a target. He suggested that when I loose a stone he won't go fishing at all for a month, which I love the sound of because it means super dooper family days and I love them! When I loose the second stone he won't fish for 2 months.

I said are you sure, you'll be demented not fishing and he said "I've been with you for 10 years and you've never lost anything substantial, I'm not worried..." then a wink as if to say DO IT!!

So a cup of tea on waking
banana for breakfast
about to have a coffee treat just now and then ham salad sandwich for lunch.

I've so much going on right now, in my head with future plans and uncertainties about our future (nothing bad, just an exciting prospect that still might not come off) that I hope I can focus on the weight loss.
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:45 pm

Hi Frugaliciousness,

I agree with your husband, a target is a great way to go, especially when they're realistic (keeping in mind that 1-2lbs a week is healthy loss) and that they're positive things rather than something for you to beat yourself up about. Family time is a really good reward because it's nothing to do with diets or losing weight, it's just a nice thing!

I started out with promising myself that I would eat or do 5 healthy things before I could eat something unhealthy. So I'd get up and have breakfast - I used to be a chocolate and crisps for breakfast girl so had to train myself to eat something more healthy. Then I'd have a glass of water, some fruit, go for a walk (that's how I got into exercise) and make something healthy for lunch. Once I'd done that if I wanted some chocolate or whatever then I could, but I found I wanted to do stuff like that less and less as I was feeling better from having had the healthy stuff. I really did find it was all the dozens of little decisions that I made every day that made a difference, soon it became that I was living a healthy life rather than being on a diet. It was very freeing.

In other news, the guy is here installing my new exercise bike as we speak (I know most people hate them but I'm not a fan of cardio exercise but the bike, for some reason, I love!) I'm starting with 20k a day 5 days a week then we'll see where we go from there.

Hope that doesn't sound preachy, I'm just one of those people who have gone through the pain and is evangelical about it now bounce

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:56 pm

Thanks for that Smile

No, not preachy at all. It's good to hear that there are people out there that can change their thinking and habits. I know my eating is connected to coping strategies and trying to improve my mood. I also know that these strategies are so stupid and don't work and even know they have the absolute opposite effect to what I'm trying to achieve. But I still do it.

I have a cross trainer in my dining room and haven't been on it for a few weeks. I'm blaming a sore ankle but I know I just haven't been in right frame of mind to eat right so what is the point in exercising. Normally on the xt I would look at the calories burned and become a bit obsessive about it but I think I like your 20km thing. Tonight when the girls go to bed I'm going to bring the xt in the living room, put the TV on (I don't like exercise and get bored very easily) and work. I'll look at how many km's I've gone and work out a daily target for myself.

Thank you. This forum is so so beneficial for me right now. x
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:21 pm

That's what I do, confession time - I have a workout playlist on my iPod and stick that on while I exercise. I do get distracted easily so if I feel my mind wandering I increase the resistance, I figure if I have enough time to daydream then I'm clearly not working hard enough Very Happy I think with exercise the most important thing is to find what works for you. I can never see myself at the gym because I can create too many excuses to not go. But having my weights and bike at home mean I can exercise whenever I want and there are no excuses.

Creating a space in your routine for exercise is important too. I started off walking, just left the house, walked for 5 minutes turned round and walked back, I was very unfit! Then when I felt ok after 5 minutes I would choose to either walk further in the same time or to increase the time and keep the same pace. Then I just increased the time until I was doing and hour a day. It builds it into the routine so when I decided to do other exercise I didn't have to find the time as my walk was already there. If you can do that with your tv time then you've got your ready made time set aside for it and that's great.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:34 pm

i would love to join in with you too I am 11st 4 (not weighed this before except when pregnant!)
I have two stone to lose, I have been overweight by about a stone for years but put on another when I stopped working
I know what you mean about eating i stuffed myself yesterday (OH went offshore might be why) so much that I felt sick when I went to my bed, actually thought I had caught a bug but realised I had just eaten way too much Embarassed
So today I have had porridge for brekkie and looked at my wardrobe and took everything out that I am too fat for and put it in a pile, the pile has more than my wardrobe now. i am looking at my stuff and am going to divide it into what i think will fit when Ive lost 3 or 4 pounds then 7 pounds and so on...hopefully that will work.
i am sick of looking pregnant, hold all my weight on my tummy, when my youngest are 12!
Lunch is now plate of sweet potato soup my DD made for me and homemade bread (wholemeal)
night time is usually my problem i can be good all day then just start stuffing my face Sad
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:15 am

frugaliciousness wrote:Last night I ate a packet of crisps in the kitchen while making DH a cup of tea and stuffed another packet down my body warmer to eat in the bath. I do this all the time, hide food and then scoff it naughtily. I don't even enjoy it when I do this. I don't know why I do it!

I came down and confessed and he said I need a target. He suggested that when I loose a stone he won't go fishing at all for a month, which I love the sound of because it means super dooper family days and I love them! When I loose the second stone he won't fish for 2 months.

I said are you sure, you'll be demented not fishing and he said "I've been with you for 10 years and you've never lost anything substantial, I'm not worried..." then a wink as if to say DO IT!!

So a cup of tea on waking
banana for breakfast
about to have a coffee treat just now and then ham salad sandwich for lunch.

I've so much going on right now, in my head with future plans and uncertainties about our future (nothing bad, just an exciting prospect that still might not come off) that I hope I can focus on the weight loss.

just a thought dont buy the crisps. Im bad with biscuits so i tend not to buy them or if i do its the low fat go ahead types or i eat ceral bars or rice cakes instead, your weight isnt too bad i dont think.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:09 am

I find that one of the hardest things about being at home is the proximity of the kitchen. It's not a separate room, quite open plan. My workroom doesn't have a lot of natural light, so spend quite a lot of time in the open plan room to sew.

I try hard not to snack and so on, but it's difficult! Maybe you can all encourage me.
PurpleIvy
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:46 am

I agree with the "don't buy it if you know you'll be tempted approach", not easy if you buy things for children or other folks in the house though.

I do have a banned list of foods, I can eat as much of these foods as often as I like when I'm out and about but they don't come into the house. For other less healthy options I have the rule that if I want it I have to walk to the shop and get it, if I can't be bothered to go to the shop then I clearly don't want it enough 🐷 Amazing how a banana or a glass of smoothie becomes so much more attractive when I want to eat something and it's raining outside!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:37 am

How would you all feel about having a weekly weigh in?
I think it would be helpful to me anyway
a positive from me joining this thread already is that i have not pigged out tonight Very Happy
would have felt guilty, feel guilty anyway when I pig
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:43 am

lollyfin wrote:How would you all feel about having a weekly weigh in?
I think it would be helpful to me anyway
a positive from me joining this thread already is that i have not pigged out tonight Very Happy
would have felt guilty, feel guilty anyway when I pig

i'd join in in the weekly weigh in. I think it's a fab idea.

Nope, I haven't pigged out either but I confess I haven't been on the cross trainer either. Embarassed

I've had a good eating day too Very Happy
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:00 am

I havent done any exercise today either but have also had a really good eating day today too so thats a positive
ok what day do you want to be weigh in day... bit scared now
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:53 am

what about Mondays?r is that too close to weekend blow outs? Maybe a Friday?
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:35 pm

Friday sounds good then we could have a day off at the weekend...maybe Very Happy
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:15 pm

Tomorrow is our first weigh in then. Embarassed

I know what it will be but good to get it on record Embarassed
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:58 pm

If you don't want to reveal how much you weigh, you could always do the slimming world thing where they just announce that you've lost x pounds so if anyone feels a bit unhappy about the number you don't have to say it, if that makes sense.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  wendy Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:22 am

That sounds like a great idea to me Smile

I'm so ashamed at what I weigh compared to my height! Embarassed

Think this would maybe give me the incentive to get stuck in.
wendy
wendy

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:30 am

Im actually looking for the embarassment factor to make me behave!
and we dont have to tell each other how tall/short we are...
this from the pregnant looking smurf in the corner
nope havent been pregnant for a long time just look it Embarassed
i will be going the whole hog! saying what I weigh and how much I have lost (hopefully) but i dont mind if others want to go with i have lost x amount this week
i need something to make me stop putting cake/choc/bread/cheese/huge portions in my mouth and I hope this is it Very Happy
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next