homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advertising Chat

+4
mesh
froogs
TP
alec eiffel
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Advertising Chat Empty Re: Advertising Chat

Post  alec eiffel Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:33 am

It knarks me when I see that advert for checking your credit report with the speed daters (don't know if you've seen it). Man sits down and the arrogant woman starts saying everything she knows about him and being exceptionally rude about him, ending with "you'll like her over there as she lives with her parents too". I know ads are just about product awareness but goodness me it's rude.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:57 am

when it takes ages to get through to the doctors on the phone. Your on hold and its costing you.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:23 pm

[quote="alec eiffel"] I know ads are just about product awareness but goodness me it's rude.[/quote

You're more forgiving of our advertising industry than I am alec eiffel... I tend to think of them as brainwashers and to blame for a lot that is wrong with our society (attitudes|'need/want' culture,|kids wanting rubbish treats food/toys that kind of thing) Get rid of the advertisers, let people educate themselves about what is right for them and we'd be a better place Smile

Ooops that's nothing to do with the knark thread - oh yes it is, Advertisements and money greedy advertisers knark me! Rolling Eyes (apologies if my stereotypical views have offended you pale )
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:25 pm

mcdonalds being a prime example of trying to lure kids in with free toys Shocked
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:28 pm

I was just being polite! Mad I think if we started a thread about lack of waiting for gratification, doing without, living within you means, learning that "no" is a possible answer and accepting that life would go on without an iPhone it would be the longest thread on the board! I agree with you though - the less you look at adverts the less you think you want!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:30 pm

TP wrote:mcdonalds being a prime example of trying to lure kids in with free toys Shocked

Have you read the book "Fast Food Nation", oooo, that made me cross. I read it in 2002 and haven't set foot in a fast food place since - even to use the loo. Cads and bounders.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:32 pm

... or need.

It's when the want turns into a need that we're in real trouble. Pleased it's not just me that don't take a blind bit of notice of advertisements
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:32 pm

no i havent read it.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:37 pm

froogs wrote:... or need.

It's when the want turns into a need that we're in real trouble. Pleased it's not just me that don't take a blind bit of notice of advertisements

I'm a Dave Ramsey girl and this is one of his pet peeves. Not knowing the difference between wants and needs and not being grown up enough to tell yourself to shut up moaning and wait for something you want.

Did anyone hear the thing on the radio about "hidden inflation" this morning. I know we knew it anyway but companies are charging the same but reducing the size of products. They mentioned Cadbury's chocolate, Imperial Leather soap (the smell of my childhood!), Innocent smoothies, Pampers nappies and other things. I've also noticed the amount of water in my toothpaste has increased and the other ingredients reduced and there were a few sheets less on each roll of toilet paper when I looked at a brand a little while ago. Anyone else noticed this?

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:40 pm

yeah wagon wheel biscuits are a lot smaller now, I'll think of more though because it is obvious what is going on. I have noticed the nappies yeah, even the super market own brands are doing it now.
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:49 pm

Oooh, I miss Wagon Wheels. Flipping gelatine.

Can't believe I just admitted I knew how many sheets were on a loo roll, Rolling Eyes

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:55 pm

Laughing is that all rolls or one brand in particular?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:03 pm

I only buy recycled so it was Nouvelle or One... can't remember. Nouvelle have been bought by someone and it's been "improved" now it just looks like cheap rubbishy stuff. That narks me!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:05 pm

alec eiffel wrote:Oooh, I miss Wagon Wheels. Flipping gelatine.

Can't believe I just admitted I knew how many sheets were on a loo roll, Rolling Eyes

good idea for a fun thread. I cant believe i knew.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:06 pm

TP wrote:
alec eiffel wrote:Oooh, I miss Wagon Wheels. Flipping gelatine.

good idea for a fun thread. I cant believe i knew.

YES! Very Happy

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:10 pm

oooh I see. I always used nouvelle because it looked 'posh' for recycled and was always quite cheap but I have stopped as price went up with the quality going down. Aldi toilet paper gets my pennies now
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:15 pm

We don't have an Aldi or Lidl. There are rumours we're going to have Aldi but that's been talked about for over 3 years apparently. I think there's one about 5 miles away. In our town we have Sainsburys, M&S Simply Food and a new small Tesco... Express is that the convenience one? We do have Home Bargains and B&M though so there are bargains to be had!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:53 pm

going back to advertising i bought the paper this morning and the first time i noticed they had got advertising flyers in there. I also read that Downton Abbey had so many adverts in their programme on Sunday night and people complained?

ITV would say they need the money and they know they will get a good audience. It does spoil the continuity though of the programme when there are alot of adverts.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:55 pm

I can imagine. We watched a tv show live the other week and it was soooooo annoying to have the watch the ads, we usually just sky+ everything so we can skip them. There do seem to be loads more adverts on these days, I wonder if the rules have changed. I've never seen a show taking advantage of the product placement thing though, I thought that would be more common.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  mesh Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:00 am

alec eiffel wrote:I can imagine. We watched a tv show live the other week and it was soooooo annoying to have the watch the ads, we usually just sky+ everything so we can skip them. There do seem to be loads more adverts on these days, I wonder if the rules have changed. I've never seen a show taking advantage of the product placement thing though, I thought that would be more common.

this product placement advertising I think will become big. lenny henry had a costa coffe in his hand on premier inn ads. and I have seen it on Mrs Browns boys. it can be so subliminal but once you know and look out for them I use it as a game ie. 'how many items in here'.

I agree with others if you take no notice of the ads they cant brainwash you.
mesh
mesh

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:02 am

i used to do this little job checking cinema ads. They even wanted to know what the audience reaction to the ads were. They say the last advert before the programme starts is the one that people remember most.

The ones that annoy me are the car ones they never tell you anything about the car at all.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Advertising Chat Empty Advertising Chat

Post  alec eiffel Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:06 am

Ads for cars are all about "lifestyle" though aren't they, not about boring things like facts Rolling Eyes

My least favourite ads are probably... perfume. Or those yoghurt ads that inform me that yoghurt contains the same goodness as milk. I wonder why that is .

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:17 am

what about i said you buy one you get one free (shouty) double glazing. Laughing Laughing
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:19 am

Yes the rules on advertising have changed. They're allowed to be more frequent in programs or last longer. I can't quite remember the details but it was advertised about 4 months ago. I'll try to find details after the school run.

DH pauses our sky+ and will read his book or browse the net for about 15 minutes before a good program starts so he can fast forward right through the adverts. Many people think he's cracked in our family but I agree with him... why spend your life reading and looking at stuff forced upon you when you can spend the time reading and looking at what you want to.

froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:19 am

TP wrote:what about i said you buy one you get one free (shouty) double glazing. Laughing Laughing

Ha! Funny you should mention him. That man is "known" to us. My FIL knows him from about the place and does not like him at all, walking about the place thinking he's important and a celebrity. Winds people up no end apparently.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next