homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advertising Chat

+4
mesh
froogs
TP
alec eiffel
8 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Advertising Chat - Page 2 Empty Re: Advertising Chat

Post  TP Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:21 am

There were two werent there. One was Reg Holdsworth from Coronation Street and then there was another. Which one was it. I guess the second man?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:23 am

Yeah the big guy that's on now. Ken Morley is very nice irl.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:23 am

make up and anti ageing products that have had the models air brushed
hair dying adverts where by the model is wearing coloured extentions or a wig.

The worst ever advert that really got my goat was a baby milk - telling us a toddler would have to drink a massive sized cup of milk to get the amount of ironed that is in their product... then in small print at the end it says that milk is not a very good example of how to get iron intake. It left me seething at being treat for an absolute bloddy fool. As far as I'm concerned all adverts are cunning and sneaky - they'll tell you owt to get your money.
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:24 am

alec eiffel wrote:
TP wrote:what about i said you buy one you get one free (shouty) double glazing. Laughing Laughing

Ha! Funny you should mention him. That man is "known" to us. My FIL knows him from about the place and does not like him at all, walking about the place thinking he's important and a celebrity. Winds people up no end apparently.

Is he the voice of walter wall carpets.... I LOVE CARPETS ME! or is that just a northern thing?
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:26 am

froogs wrote:make up and anti ageing products that have had the models air brushed
hair dying adverts where by the model is wearing coloured extentions or a wig.

The worst ever advert that really got my goat was a baby milk - telling us a toddler would have to drink a massive sized cup of milk to get the amount of ironed that is in their product... then in small print at the end it says that milk is not a very good example of how to get iron intake. It left me seething at being treat for an absolute bloddy fool. As far as I'm concerned all adverts are cunning and sneaky - they'll tell you owt to get your money.

Yes to all of that. When I first read that someone was wearing "lash inserts" I nearly hit the roof! As the pin says "Maybe it's Maybelline. maybe it's photoshop"

I complained about that baby milk advert because initially it didn't say that milk wasn't a good source of iron. It was changed after many complaints and they put it in massive letters.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:29 am

froogs wrote:
alec eiffel wrote:
TP wrote:what about i said you buy one you get one free (shouty) double glazing. Laughing Laughing

Ha! Funny you should mention him. That man is "known" to us. My FIL knows him from about the place and does not like him at all, walking about the place thinking he's important and a celebrity. Winds people up no end apparently.

Is he the voice of walter wall carpets.... I LOVE CARPETS ME! or is that just a northern thing?

Not seen that one. could be Bobby Ball he does lots of ads...

They do sound quite different though. Reg Holdsworth is from Chorley (or somewhere near there), windows guy is from Burnley, Cannon and Ball are from Oldham. flipping Lancastrians they're all the same Laughing

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:31 am

i quite like some of the specsavers (should have gone too) adverts.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:32 am

Good on you!

I would have complained too if I had known the comparison was not appropriate. I think that's hit the nail on the head - they're feeding into people's 'ignorance' or lack of knowledge and because a mum wants to do the best they can for their child believes it and goes out and buys the product. I'm angry now lol
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:33 am

My MIL likes that flaming Meerkat.

Trying to think of one I like... I like the ones for betfred gambling site! I love his Wigan accent, cracks me up every time.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:34 am

oh likes the go compare go compare lol. I can see this thread getting long lol. Laughing
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:35 am

it's franks factory flooring I got it wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj9LKqE2v80

Tired of I LOVE CARPETS ME - and that on the advert is tame compared to some of the adverts
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:36 am

froogs wrote:Good on you!

I would have complained too if I had known the comparison was not appropriate. I think that's hit the nail on the head - they're feeding into people's 'ignorance' or lack of knowledge and because a mum wants to do the best they can for their child believes it and goes out and buys the product. I'm angry now lol

Spot on, you might be starting to realise it's one of my soapbox issues but people say to me all the time "they wouldn't say it if it wasn't true". I just say listen to what they're not saying and always read the small print. Careful or I'll be on about Brighthouse soon and that's never good.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:12 am

does it annoy anyone else that all the advent calendars and christmas stuff appears so early in the shops.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:26 am

It annoys me how the big tins of quality street and celebrations are on for £5 at he minute. I was tempted but know fine well I will be back again for more because the family have dug in. Supermarket psychology, I wish there was a OU unit on that!

froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:32 am

I had an email from Ocado about 2 weeks ago urging me to book my Christmas delivery. I haven't seen any Christmas related stuff yet though thankfully. There are quite a lot of sites and blogs covering different aspects of supermarket psychology. An interesting read. There are some videos on youtube too.

Haven't seen the Franks Flooring ad before so cheers for the link Very Happy I wonder if it's a local area only advert so only for whatever the local itv area is. I know we get ads that are particular to the North West.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivylinn Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:05 am

froogs wrote:It annoys me how the big tins of quality street and celebrations are on for £5 at he minute. I was tempted but know fine well I will be back again for more because the family have dug in. Supermarket psychology, I wish there was a OU unit on that!

I don't buy them anymore we got some 2 Christmases ago and 2/3 of them were hard toffees I know because I weighed them.

I despise the hard toffees... Mad
Ivylinn
Ivylinn

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:25 am

Another thing that is so stupid is when they say was and now and make you think your getting a bargain. The price was inflated to start with. They must think we are so silly.

Was and now lol.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:57 pm

Yes, the astounding offers available from the sofa shops! Laughing

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:14 pm

yes and of course everybody wants a new sofa in time for christmas?? Razz
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:15 pm

Why would you want a new sofa in time for the time of year where people eat and drink more than at any other time? Disaster waiting to happen. They should advertise steam cleaners and carpet washers! Laughing

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:15 am

supermarkets use the word butchers when promoting their sausages. Butchers choice etc. They arent butchers choice. They are grocers sausages dont come close to butchers proper sausages. pale Rolling Eyes
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:11 am

Fair point there. I guess they could ask a 'butcher' in one of their stores to say that it's their choice.. if they even bother to do that.
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:42 am

what knarks me today are smart arses on the lactofree community on facebook. what made up for it was being able to quote the specific european directives to prove they're being knobbers....

whole conversation about lactose as a hidden ingredient. I stated it legally cant be and that people just need to read labels properly (in the nicest possible, polite way)... someone else says yes it can and it is, and I was able to quote specific legal documents to prove my point.mwaaaahahaha!

I know it's petty and small, but it made my evening.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  marciared Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:14 pm

I hate the way everything is so perfect and all the kitchens are large and spacious etc. Everybody is slim, pretty, and has wonderful skin. The kids are so cute. Life isnt like that.
marciared
marciared

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:21 pm

Its the way the kids all get on!
I wish my kids were like that....never gonna happen Razz
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content