Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chat about your Car

Post  TP on Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:33 am

Have a chat about cars here?

What car do you have?
Maybe you dont have a car?
Do you do many miles a year?

We have a Citroen C3 and dont do many miles for example 1,600 miles approx last year. No journeying to work for oh or me. The car is quite economical to run. We used to have a big car which was thirsty but this one is much more economical. Smile Wouldnt be without it.
TP

Back to top Go down

Re: Chat about your Car

Post  alec eiffel on Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:11 am

I can't drive but we do have a car. It's a very shiny and very black Volvo C30, we've had it for 3 years and it was 18 months old when we bought it. We saved up for 2 years to buy it and it's our happiest moment moneywise to be able to pay cash for it. I do gush when I talk about it but it seemed like to big a task so when we managed to discipline ourselves enough it was great.

I love love love being in the car, it's so cute and exceptionally comfy. Not to mention the fact we were up a big hill in the Lakes when there was unexpected snowfall, so the car did what it's meant to do and took over in a Herbie type fashion and got us over the crest of the hill and down the other side. Thank goodness for cars designed for snow! We do about 12,000 a year - my parents live about 60 miles away, Dan's 40 odd miles and we drive a lot to go to visit friends and to watch rugby which we do virtually every weekend from February to September. Having had small and rattly cars in the past I really appreciate the comfort of a nice car on the motorway.

We're going to start saving for the next car at the end of 2012 so we can save up over a longer period than the 2 years we had last time.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP on Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:14 am

i know what you mean big cars are comfy. We had an old Bmw series 5 for ages. Nice to ride around in, had to go though for various reasons.
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:16 am

It's not big, maybe it would be classed as medium. I know people think "big" when they hear Volvo but it's actually a pretty small thing Volvonically speaking!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy on Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:41 am

I have a 2nd hand Audi A3 (2003) , which has done 92000 and hub has a VW passat estate (2002) that has done 150000. Hubs needs replacing before too long, but as the markets took a tumble a few weeks ago he's going to have to wait!
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  jetbag on Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:59 am

I have a little peugeot 107 and since leaving work last October I hardly use it, my insurnce is due for renewal next month so I have said that my eldest son can have my car if he gives his car to my youngest son, who can then either sell it and his car to buy a newer one for himself or just sell one of them and put the money towards a new car when he wants a new one.
The clause is that they both have to put me on their insurance so that I can borrow a car if I need to or if they are not at work then they can chauffer me.

jetbag

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans on Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:18 am

Mine is a White Ford Mondeo estate 2002. It has about 111,000 miles on the clock, I don't drive it loads during the week but we do like going for a tootle sometimes and taking the kids to various places we clock up probably average mileage. My fave car was our beloved Land Rover Defender 90. It was GORGEOUS but wasn't suitable for a family so we had to sell it Sad It's the one and only time I've cried over a car as I was so sorry to see it go. I will blame the pregnancy hormones though as I was about 29 weeks at the time Smile
Bitsy Beans

http://www.thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly blue on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:48 am

That's a good clause Jetbag, your kids might even find putting you on their insurance the premium might come down, I know my ds did.
Back on topic I've a golf not sure what sort Embarassed but runs on derv, oh got a van for work, we also have a campervan and an old mini Rolling Eyes ds back from uni with a car now dd bf turned up so 6 cars in the drive looks like a car lot Shocked .
dolly blue

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:01 am

Well I love my car loads
Its not enviromentally friendly and goes through fuel quite a lot (unfortunately to both) but I love it
its a subaru impreza sport, its very old but so comfy and i like the fact i dont have to have a two mile clear run to overtake anything going 40 mph like i did with my last car (it was a polo)
its not the turbo version (thats OHs) and sometimes i think he loves it more than me Laughing but his is even older than mine he calls them practical classics rather than old bangers
I actually have this car because we were given it free. A guy who lived across the road from us lost his license and was moving to somewhere he couldnt store the car (and it wasnt moted and was abit bashed) so asked if my OH wanted it to do up since he already had a scooby!
I am blaming my not so frugal car choice on not passing my test until i was 34,(my first car was a renault espace to fit all the kids in) so i never had the fun car when i was young and silly so have to have it now Very Happy
I only do about 3000 miles a year just shopping, running the kids about and going on holiday
it always makes me smile climbing into it tho Very Happy
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:13 am

I lost my car when our finances fell spectacularly on their behinds. I miss my lovely new Toyota Yaris. Sad So now I don't have a car and by gosh I miss my independance.

We have a family car that DH uses for work - it's 'orrible but we're lucky to have it. A Nissan Almera Tino. A really good car, perfect for what we need but er... my street cred goes down the swanny in it Embarassed
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:18 am

Lolly my brother had a scooby......it was constantly a target for theft Shocked
Bitsy Beans

http://www.thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:28 am

Ours are so noisy, you know the scooby rumble, they wouldnt get out the drive before i heard them.
ssshhhh and so old no one would want them but dont tell the OH I said that Laughing
I have had the police laugh at me driving OHs one I think they hear it and think heres some kid going to be driving like an idiot and then I appear car full of kids,shopping, me pushing 40 and driving quite slowly Embarassed
I have sat in a brand new one in a showroom and thought wow lovely then thought oh no too many buttons totally confusing Laughing
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:31 am

you do make me laugh! Laughing bounce
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey on Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:55 am

we have a volvo s80 and have done nearly 75k miles in 2.5 years. hubby works 7 days on, 7 off then 7 nights and then another 7 off and he does a round trip of 100 miles per day so on his working weeks that's 700 miles. so 1400 miles every 4 weeks, not adding in the driving he does when he's off work too.

I personally don't drive. tried for years but my concentration isn't safe, so I made the decision to end it. I'm sill glad I did. I think I made the right decision. some people just arn't meant to drive, and we live near everything I need to get to without jim. also we can't afford a second car!

I love our car. bits fall off it, it breaks but hubby fixes it and we're back in business lol.
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  marciared on Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:09 am

I dont drive a car. Never been able to afford it really.
marciared

Back to top Go down

Post  TP on Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:58 am

how often do you clean out the car and wash it? Do you have a special vac for the car? We dont but i would like one?

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey on Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:12 pm

no special vac here. just a very very long extension cord.
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  2boysmum on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:15 pm

We have a car, Ford Fiesta, but I don't drive. Did take lessons a few years ago, sat my theory test and passed and was all ready to sit my driving test but lost my bottle at the last minute and have never went back to it, so little car sits outside most days as hubby has works van!! Have said after our holiday next year I will take a few more lessons and sit my test, will need to sit my theory test again as that has expired Embarassed
2boysmum

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:17 pm

People have a special vac for their car? Shocked

I don't know how the car gets cleaned, I guess Dan must do it. I do keep a microfibre cloth in the glove box and occasionally will clean that bit there the steering wheel and the stereo is (whatever that's called). I keep some carrier bags in there too so I can clear out any junk that accumulates over time.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:29 pm

I will admit to being rubbish at cleaning the car and checking the oil and water and stuff
I can do it if i have to I just dont very often, its OHs job he does nothing in the house so the cars are his problem Very Happy
oh and i am rubbish at shammying them they end up with more streaks than they started with so he prefers me not to do that Very Happy I learned that trick from him!
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  TP on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:56 pm

alec eiffel wrote:People have a special vac for their car? Shocked

I don't know how the car gets cleaned, I guess Dan must do it. I do keep a microfibre cloth in the glove box and occasionally will clean that bit there the steering wheel and the stereo is (whatever that's called). I keep some carrier bags in there too so I can clear out any junk that accumulates over time.

yes its handheld much easier than trying to do it with the normal one. You have to get a good one though otherwise they are crap.

Back to top Go down

Post  mesh on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:13 pm

Now I dont have my own car but we have a Mondeo diesel which is pretty good economically. Up until redundancy in July, I was driving approx 200-250 miles per day with work, do I miss it? sometimes but I still ride my motorbike (only when the weathers good Very Happy suppose I am a 'fair weather biker')! I see the car (and motorbike) as OH responsibility as I do most other stuff and he says its boys toys... ok love, off you go then. Mind you, he's not too good on cleaning it but the maintenance stuff is done quickly.

mesh

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:02 pm

Mine passed its MOT today Woop!
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippajo on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:17 am

I have an old Focus estate I bought off my dad for taking the dog out and going on student visits. Our main vehicle is a navara D40 truck - completely impractical as too big for car parks but needed for towing an exhibition trailer. Our baby is a 3l twin turbo Toyota Supra, we've had it 9 years and it's a highly modified sport car and is a demo car for the business. Its one of those cases where spending far too much on it in our past has led to our future!

When it comes to cleaning a car I'm a bit of an expert, part of my job - funny though, my Focus always looks like the dog has taken it rallying

Pippajo

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey on Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:45 pm

my own car right now is my bike lol...

used to be like this, but then sophie learned to ride her own. we had a trailer because I'm so short, I need a sort of intermediate size bike and kiddie seats don't fit on those. plus, I was never confident about not falling off with sophie on my bike so this was safer.

I'm going to make myself a pad for my hand so I can ride again before the weather gets too bad. the CTS surgery scar is the only thing stopping me getting back on two wheels!!!
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top