homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ideas on how to expand this forum?

+15
marciared
Anne
fuddle
alec eiffel
Rosie
lollyfin
life_in_termoil
Admin
froogs
helen jelly
Bitsy Beans
wendy
juliapenguin
knitmylife
TP
19 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

ideas on how to expand this forum? - Page 4 Empty Re: ideas on how to expand this forum?

Post  stiltwalker Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:43 am

Like the new look TP, it's good to read. Hope you had a good hol. x
stiltwalker
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

ideas on how to expand this forum? - Page 4 Empty Re: ideas on how to expand this forum?

Post  TP Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:10 pm

We have now being officially linked to another website thanks to a very kind person that i know who has her own website in my area.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:35 pm

We need more people to post if we want to remain a forum where people who are at home in any situation can come and chat. Some of our early members who were so enthusiastic have vanished without any explanation and we are getting alot of people who are signing up and then not posting which I cannot understand.

If we can all try and find some new members who want to stay this year that would be good. I have done everything I can to advertise the forum. If any of you want to get a little poster done on your pc and put it somewhere in the community where you live that would be good. Another thing where we can get new members is from the MSE board on the thread Homemakers. I think its on Old style. I have bought it to the fore several times I cant keep doing it if anyone wants to revive it that would be good. We seem to get alot of interest from there. It hasnt been posted on for a while.

Thanks all.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:44 pm

If I can be honest, for me I'm a little confused these days about what the forum is about. I may be mistaken but I think when the forum started I thought we were going to talk about things like -

supporting each other when we have difficulties reconciling being at home people in a "work outside the home" culture.

swapping hints, tips, ideas, recipes and cooking ideas motivation and challenges in terms of craft, housework and all things financial

general chatting about our day, plans for the future, studies and interests.

And tbh it's kind of drifted so there's no real focus to the place. Tbh I think we took a massive hit in drive when froogs went. This is no disrespect to you as the person who started and has worked really hard with the forum but there's only so much one person can do. I don't know why people aren't posting, it's the great unanswered question of message boards everywhere. I salute you for your hard work but imo we need focus, enthusiasm and lots of reason for us all to post and keep the conversation going.

I love to chat but lots of other people seem to want to post up a one liner and that's that, I find it hard to chat like that. I also have the issue that I don't think I'm like a lot of other housewives and struggle to find someone here that I have things in common with in terms of my interests (but that's me). I love chatting about all the general stuff though but there need to be other folks to chat to! JMO.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  marciared Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:59 am

. Tbh I think we took a massive hit in drive when froogs went.

Ask her back then Surprised

One person does not make make a forum anyone its everyone joining in. Most people must have facebook on here. Why not just post the link on there and anywhere else people go online.
marciared
marciared

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:21 am

alec eiffel wrote:If I can be honest, for me I'm a little confused these days about what the forum is about. I may be mistaken but I think when the forum started I thought we were going to talk about things like -

supporting each other when we have difficulties reconciling being at home people in a "work outside the home" culture.

swapping hints, tips, ideas, recipes and cooking ideas motivation and challenges in terms of craft, housework and all things financial

general chatting about our day, plans for the future, studies and interests.

And tbh it's kind of drifted so there's no real focus to the place. Tbh I think we took a massive hit in drive when froogs went. This is no disrespect to you as the person who started and has worked really hard with the forum but there's only so much one person can do. I don't know why people aren't posting, it's the great unanswered question of message boards everywhere. I salute you for your hard work but imo we need focus, enthusiasm and lots of reason for us all to post and keep the conversation going.

I love to chat but lots of other people seem to want to post up a one liner and that's that, I find it hard to chat like that. I also have the issue that I don't think I'm like a lot of other housewives and struggle to find someone here that I have things in common with in terms of my interests (but that's me). I love chatting about all the general stuff though but there need to be other folks to chat to! JMO.

Talk about anything. Pets, Home, goals, your day, housework, cooking, food, arts, crafts, special occassions, families, weather, holidays, being at home as opposed to working, money, TV, music, anything random, dosent matter . Anything that annoys you, pleases you, no hard and fast rules. Anything that people want to talk about. Anything that gets people talking.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:39 am

I appreciate we can talk about anything. Some people have a way of drawing people in and making them feel welcome and want to chat. I am not one of those people. I love to chat but I'm not the kind of person who people warm to so it matters not how many threads I start I'm not a cupcakes and buntings fluffy bunny I-want-to-be-her-friend kind of a girl.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:18 am

alec eiffel wrote:I appreciate we can talk about anything. Some people have a way of drawing people in and making them feel welcome and want to chat. I am not one of those people. I love to chat but I'm not the kind of person who people warm to so it matters not how many threads I start I'm not a cupcakes and buntings fluffy bunny I-want-to-be-her-friend kind of a girl.

Not too worry I'm not a fluffy bunny girlie girl myelf although I do sometimes do cake baking and yes I design and craft but I have many other interests and activities and no I don't have children.

I might not take part in all threads but I do tend to read most. So some things I'll have something to say on and other's I won't. I think this will be the same for most of us we might read more than we'd comment on but we still feel part of the whole.

We can't all love and enjoy all the same things all the time we are after all all individuals.

Tis the of forums, people don't have to post to feel part, many read loads and loads and post only occassionally while other post all the time. Some love to simply dip in ie visit a forum every few months or so while other's have to check in at least once a day.

Often new people take a while before they feel able to post especially if they are not used to forums or are a bit shy.

Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:32 am

I understand what your saying Aisles but when you say some people take time to post and are shy. I have access to all the database and its clear some people are signing up and not even posting at all at any time or reading. i cant understand that myself. As you say thats forums for you.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:45 am

TP wrote:I understand what your saying Aisles but when you say some people take time to post and are shy. I have access to all the database and its clear some people are signing up and not even posting at all at any time or reading. i cant understand that myself. As you say thats forums for you.

I've just been looking at those one's in the membership list and were you aware there is a international game going around on the internet that is played in 2 parts.

A) Get yourself registered on 10,000 forums world wide
B) See how long your account will remain on a forum before it's deleted if you don't logged into it.

Those who play the game will keep a list of forums they've registered on and will check those but not by logging in with their account name and password but as a guest so you'll never know if they've looked or not Shocked

Personnally I don't get either of the 2 games myself oh well "nowt as queer as folk"
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:55 am

No i didnt know that game. Cant see the point of that. Ive not deleted anyones account and wont be doing that for that no reason. People are free to come and go as they choose at the end of the day. The only thing I might do is tidy up the diary section as its not being used much.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  marciared Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:57 pm

we might read more than we'd comment on but we still feel part of the whole

The problem with that is if everyone reads but dosent comment or post there is nothing to read. Surely if you log on and there is nothing that takes your fancy to post on start a conversation yourself.

There arent many people who have responded to this thread in the last few days either.
marciared
marciared

Back to top Go down

ideas on how to expand this forum? - Page 4 Empty possible suggestion

Post  Aisles Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:32 pm

How about a swop or for sale and wanted area on the forum.

I'm sure we all have items we'd like to offer to for sale that another member might be interested in.

An area where we can say I'd like this.

How about a Give away area ie free to a good home

If you have say a large toy your children don't use any more it might be offered up for so another member might like it. It also means google will pick these things up so if people are looking for things they could be directed to the forum and think ooooh nice I'd like to join Very Happy
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:01 am

I am not sure about that. Might have to look into it. I as the administrator and moderator might find myself getting lots of messages if people dont get the things sent etc! I wouldnt be able to get involved in any problems that might arise? Do other forums do it? If so I will have to check it all first?

What happens if people dont get their things?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:21 am

TP wrote:I am not sure about that. Might have to look into it. I as the administrator and moderator might find myself getting lots of messages if people dont get the things sent etc! I wouldnt be able to get involved in any problems that might arise? Do other forums do it? If so I will have to check it all first?

What happens if people dont get their things?

Most forum say the sale is between buyer and seller.

That the seller must put up a photo of the item
describtion and price they'd like and if they'll consider o.n.o
Posting and Packing costs or if it's up to the buyer to sort out pick up or delivery.

If there are any individuals who are out to scam people ie admin/mods get more than two flags up then they'll not allow that person to use that section again and if they try to flaunt the rules they are suspended from posting on the forum for a set number of days.

Rules of use are posted in the section.

Here's the example I use on the my I run

Rules for Sales

Here are the fules for things being sold by members. This applies to all of the sales forums, and all items within the sales forums.

1. The item being sold must be available to view, either in person or via uploaded photo's.

2. The item being sold MUST be in the posession of the member selling it. You may sell on behalf of a friend, but if you are selling something on behalf of a friend, YOU have to personally have the item in your posession and have the fully permission of the owner.

3. Transaction details are NOT to be posted on the main board for obvious security reasons, please do them either via PM or MUCH preferrably face to face.

4. The forum take no responsibility for the quality of the items being sold, the reliability

Post Layout.

1. Most important about layout is this main rule. When posting you MUST start the title of your post with either "FOR SALE:" or "WANTED:" followed by a BRIEF description of what the item is. Please do this, otherwise your post will have to be edited by a moderator for consistency, and if you continue to not bother you will lose the right to post in the sales section. This is to keep the sales section easy to use, and easy to manage.

2. Please give adequate information about the item to save the time of both our members and the seller, and please try and upload pictures of what you are selling, otherwise you may not get enough interest.
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:32 am

we would need more moderators. I am the only one at the moment.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:35 am

How about tweeting? The feed could tweet the different things we're talking about and using the hashtags and stuff it might attract the attention of people who might not find us otherwise.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:08 am

I already do that. If anyone else wants to go ahead.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:28 am

So is there a special "homemakers uk" twitter account, or do you tweet about things from your personal twitter?

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:34 am

Its under my name but its called homemakers forum and it has the address of the forum and I tweet our posts. Whenever i put a tweet about a post I notice we get alot of views for a few mins. It dosent mean people join up though. They just have a read.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:15 am

If we are on other forums about 'other' things we could ask the admin for permission to have a link in our siggie's to this forum.

It is always best to ask first though.

Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:57 pm

As you can see if you are logging on that nobody has posted and the forum has come to a standstill despite my best efforts. At the end of the day there were not enough people starting posts and replying to them and there were not enough people joining up and lasting the course.

There was not enough banter and friendship between some of the posters when people were posting for example about their day, they were just posting their own thoughts without talking to others posters and getting a conversation going or commenting on what they put.

I was not getting much feedback and thanks for what I was doing from people despite sending out a newsletter to people warning of the forum demise I only had one pm back. People knew i was running the forum alone but there was little communication, thanks, suggestions, ideas concerns. Not many people said what they were doing to help promote the forum and alot of people just vanished.

Hope this explains some of it. The forum will stay here if anyone wants to try and get it going again feel free. It would need alot of people on board and some more moderators and people willing to get more involved in the running and the promotion of it. Hope you enjoyed it while it was active anyway.

TP
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  bildanto Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:35 am

Sorry to read that things have come to a standstill. I joined late but found this forum to be friendly and interesting. I realise how much hard work you have put in TP and I hope there will be more interest generated once people realise they are going to lose the forum. I am as guilty as the next in that when the sun shines I find lots of things to occupy me outside rather than use the computer so spring/summer may be a quiet time.
bildanto
bildanto

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:25 am

TP wrote:As you can see if you are logging on that nobody has posted and the forum has come to a standstill despite my best efforts. At the end of the day there were not enough people starting posts and replying to them and there were not enough people joining up and lasting the course.

There was not enough banter and friendship between some of the posters when people were posting for example about their day, they were just posting their own thoughts without talking to others posters and getting a conversation going or commenting on what they put.

I was not getting much feedback and thanks for what I was doing from people despite sending out a newsletter to people warning of the forum demise I only had one pm back. People knew i was running the forum alone but there was little communication, thanks, suggestions, ideas concerns. Not many people said what they were doing to help promote the forum and alot of people just vanished.

Hope this explains some of it. The forum will stay here if anyone wants to try and get it going again feel free. It would need alot of people on board and some more moderators and people willing to get more involved in the running and the promotion of it. Hope you enjoyed it while it was active anyway.

TP

Hi TP (if you read this).

I know we've spoken about this before and you know my thoughts about it. I really appreciate everything you've done to get things up and running and it's a shame that things have drifted.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:14 am

Oh dear such a shame with all your hard work Sad

I've not been around for nearly 2 weeks due to being away on holiday. I did try to get online via DH phone but where we were in Wales we didn't do very well and finally gave up.

However back again now Very Happy
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next