homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else love to read and what are you reading just now

+17
flibsey
froogs
taurusgb
mouse scribe
Anne
juliapenguin
SilverBird
kat360
life_in_termoil
stiltwalker
cat_smith
righter
helen jelly
TP
Rosie
alec eiffel
lollyfin
21 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Anyone else love to read and what are you reading just now - Page 4 Empty Re: Anyone else love to read and what are you reading just now

Post  knitmylife Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:31 am

i havent read that but another one on my bedside table is everything and nothing by arimeta hall (sp) looks good too x
knitmylife
knitmylife

Back to top Go down

Anyone else love to read and what are you reading just now - Page 4 Empty Re: Anyone else love to read and what are you reading just now

Post  bildanto Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:51 am

Now that does look good but wondering if it will be a bit too disturbing with the theme of children, even though I love squeamish serial killer books, please post once you have read it in case I have got it wrong and missing out by not reading it. Was surprised to see how much books are in the charity shops in town today, I usually buy second hand from Amazon and can get them for less than I saw today I think they are setting their prices too high. Is it just me I don't fancy a Kindle I would miss turning the pages lol.
bildanto
bildanto

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:05 am

I know what you mean about a kindle.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  knitmylife Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:05 am

i will never have a kindle. thats not a book is it. no no no. i like everything about books the smell the pages the sound everything.

im still on the 19th wife im loving it although its outside of my usual style.

once i have read everything and nothing i will post about it xx
knitmylife
knitmylife

Back to top Go down

Post  bildanto Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:25 am

Yes thanks for that look forward to your comments on the book, I agree it is the smell, the turn of the pages, the sound of them turning no Kindle can replace that. I do have an Ipad and you can download books on there and did download a freebie for my son and it wasn't bad but I thought then I will keep reading the old fashioned way. Apparently they are good for reading in full sun as I did ask this question from a Kindle owner.
bildanto
bildanto

Back to top Go down

Post  pipling Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:11 pm

Just finished "Lost in Shangri-La" by Mitchell Zuckoff http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Shangri-Escape-Hidden-World/dp/000738663X/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It was a fantastic read, the best thing I have read in a long time - i would give it 5 stars Very Happy

It is a true story about a sight-seeing plane that crashes during WW2 into the Papua New Guinea jungle, only 3 survive, 2 men and a woman.

The place where they crash is a hidden valley, surrounded by mountains. It is completely cut off from the rest of the island and they are lost 100's of miles away from rescue. The valley is inhabited by cannibal tribes that have never seen white people, so primitive that they still use stone tools and throw spears at any planes overhead!

The book describes their amazing journey and how they were rescued by some very brave soldiers. It also describes the relationships between the survivors and the tribes people who believed that they were gods (The tribe believed a prophesy that white people would fall from the sky and change their way of life forever)

It is the most extraordinary story that is hard to believe in places, but every word if it is true. It would make a great film.
pipling
pipling

Back to top Go down

Post  knitmylife Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:11 am

wow that sounds good. on my to read list now xx
knitmylife
knitmylife

Back to top Go down

Post  knitmylife Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:51 pm

well i have read everything and nothing and to be honest it was a bit dull. i much preferred the 19th wife and the book i read after it by peter robinson before the poison. they were both top quality.

last two nights i have been reading the third part of the millenium trilogy 'the girl who kicked the hornest nest' so far im loving it xx
knitmylife
knitmylife

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:30 am

I am reading whispers of love rosie harris. I try and read a book on holiday.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:39 am

I decided to try a bit of fiction so I had a nosey round the library and ended up with "Johannes Cabal the Fear Institute", haven't read much yet but it's a bit of dark fun!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  pipling Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:33 pm

I read a collection of Dick Donovan short stories recently (A fictional Victorian Glasgow detective) It was OK, but but not as good as the Sherlock Holmes books.

Currently reading The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt, as recommended by my husband. It is a fantastic book, I would never read a Western normally. but this quite unputdownable (If that's a word Smile )
pipling
pipling

Back to top Go down

Post  pipling Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:25 pm

Now reading Christopher Hitchens - Hitch 22: A memoir

I am finding it very heavy going and not an easy read, but it is interesting nevertheless. And whilst I don't agree with all of his ideas and views I quite like his style, even if he comes across as a little arrogant in places.

pipling
pipling

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:55 pm

Because things were so hectic I didn't get round to finishing the Johannes Cabal book before it had to go back to the library (think I'll get it out again this week).

I have just finished "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern. I really enjoyed it, so far from the kind of thing I'd normally read but loads of fun and a great read. It's about a mysterious travelling circus that appears and disappears without warning. the tents contain all manner of fantastical things but everything is bound up in a strange contest between two people who know they are part of something but they're not sure what...

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  pipling Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:20 pm

Alec - I love the sound of that book, I will put it on my "to-read" list.

Still ploughing through Hitch 22....I am only half way and finding it a struggle to finish to be honest.
pipling
pipling

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Oooh, I hate being in that position - where you're struggling to get through a book but you don't want to not finish it!

I've just seen that there might be a film of The Night Circus - if Tim Burton gets hold of it then it could be fantastical! I've been reading a few reviews too and people seem to love it or hate it. That's probably good in a book, the ability to get the emotions going one way or another.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  pipling Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:54 pm

Just looking for the Night circus on my local library website, It looks like a very popular book, as there are 11 copies in my area but most are taken already. However the paperback will be available next month so will wait until that is in.

I am very lucky that I have a library at the top of my road, literally 5 minutes walk away from my house, so I can never be without something good to read.
pipling
pipling

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:42 pm

That's great to have a library so close. It's no chore to get to ours either, it's right near the sea front so it's a lovely walk to get to it.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4