homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else love to read and what are you reading just now

+17
flibsey
froogs
taurusgb
mouse scribe
Anne
juliapenguin
SilverBird
kat360
life_in_termoil
stiltwalker
cat_smith
righter
helen jelly
TP
Rosie
alec eiffel
lollyfin
21 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Anyone else love to read and what are you reading just now - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone else love to read and what are you reading just now

Post  taurusgb Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:45 am

Hello Everyone ... May I join you please? I love to read and have been collecting books all my life. Every room in the house has shelves and shelves filled with books except the bathroom and that's only because I don't want the damp to damage them Wink I now have a kindle to help me with my storage problem and although I was very dubious at first I love it now. It is fabulous to know I have the choice of dozens of books to choose from whenever I leave the house. Will never give up on real books though as I love the feel / smell / look of them.

I've just finished "The knitting Circle" on my kindle currently selling at 99p and a grand read. I'm also reading Pride and Prejudice in the bedroom (I re-read it every few months), Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow in the living room and The Hairy bikers in the kitchen when I'm stirring a saucepan or waiting for the kettle to boil (I read cookery books like any other book - start at the beginning and read through to the end).

Does anyone else like owning old books with messages written in them? I so prefer an old hardback that has "To Iris with love at Christmas from Dora" written on the fly leaf, that has been read and loved even if it is tatty, to a brand new paperback. My mother thinks I am very odd Laughing

I'm currently signed off my part time job sick and waiting for what is likely to be a scary diagnosis so am spending almost every waking moment reading - which isn't really as bad as it sounds as I'm very tired and lacking energy so I'm sleeping about 14 hours a day or more.

Favourite reading is crime and thrillers......Agatha Christie, Ruth Rendell, Harlen Coban (though not the Myron Bolitar series), Cath Staincliffe, Peter Robinson to mention a few. Also love classics, social History type books (Nella Last is my hero) ...actually I'll save us all some time and say I like most genres except science fiction and Mills and Boon (though I'd read those if there ws nothing else available Laughing Laughing
taurusgb
taurusgb

Back to top Go down

Anyone else love to read and what are you reading just now - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone else love to read and what are you reading just now

Post  lollyfin Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:40 am

Hi all Very Happy
so happy to meet lots of other reading fanatics
I havent picked my next book to start yet and swithering about rereading harry potter or starting john le carres a small town in germany...pretty big difference i know Smile
mouse the wild places sounds lovely i think i will have to get a hold of a copy of that and room as well as it has been recomended so many times
taurus i have never read pride and prejudice but have it on my kindle so am def going to start that soon since it is so goodd you reread it so often. i will keep my fingers crossed for you that you get a good diagnosis from the docs hugs
i like crime thrillers as well at the moment patricia cornwell and kathy reichs are my favourites, saying that cornwells last book, scarpetta, i didnt enjoy as much as her others and actually gave it away after reading it only once which isnt like me at all
have any of you read the passage by justin cronin or the left hand of god and the last four things (cant remember authors name at the mo) i really enjoyed them, and i do like terry pratchett his imagination is amazing
i have also really liked paul magrs brenda series it makes me laugh out loud
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  mouse scribe Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:44 pm

Taurus - hugs from me - reading is so great isn't it? A book transports you off into its world. I really understand the old book with message thing as I love them too. I love recycling of 'stuff' anyway and enjoy thinking who owned the book/ tablecloth/ vase or whatever.
I started to reread the chapter on Rannoch Moor from Wild Places before I went to sleep last night. It's so descriptive, it's lovely to go to sleep with images of wild places and then to feel all snug in bed Very Happy .
Getting lots of ideas for future reads here - thanks.
I also like Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs - PD James too and also Stuart MacBride although his writing is more gruesome and you have to get used to the kind of corniness of his colleague dialogue stuff. I lived in Aberdeen for years and so I like reading about place names I know in his books. Goodness, I could hardly sleep after reading one of his books and still shudder - can't think of the name of it of course but will have a look at titles to remind me if anyone is interested. I haven't read another one of his since as it scared me so much. What a wimp! Another oner I really enjoyed was called something like Duma Key by Stephen King. I found that un-put-down-able and even read it in the early hours when DH was away from home. I scared myself and had nightmares. hhhmmm I'm seeing a pattern here - no wonder I stick to writing that's easier on the nerves!

mouse scribe

Back to top Go down

Post  cat_smith Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:42 pm

Hi there. Being back with parents I'm limited. I'm re-reading Little Women. One of may favourite childrens books. Read Little Princess last night (cover to cover in just over an hour) I just devour books. Will be spending some time on a train tomorrow so Kindle coming with me and I will make progress on Shogun. Trying to resist buying any more Kindle books at the moment. It mounts up.
cat_smith
cat_smith

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:52 pm

i find it too easy to buy kindle books, if you understand what i mean, you just push the button then poof book is on your kindle (i think i forget sometimes it still costs money Embarassed ) wouldnt be without my kindle now tho,love it too much and have lots of books still to read on it.
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  mouse scribe Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:36 pm

Cat - I remember studying Lousia May Alcott - did you know she taught herself to write with her left hand so she could double her output? She wrote kind of horror/ ghost stories with her left hand! I remember we read one called The Mask. I love Little Women - haven't read it for ages.

mouse scribe

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:45 am

I want to thank you for mentioning Room by Emma Donoghue.

I have been struggling for inspiration lately for something that will interest me. I have read the blurb to room and I'm hooked. I have just reserved it online at the library. Ta Smile bounce
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:48 am

I never knew that mouse thanks
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:16 pm

I've picked up DH's copy of Game of Thrones. I didn't watch the series but have been swayed by his bleating positively about it. It's a massive book but going to give it a go.
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:52 pm

i was told that game of thrones was really good by my physio type wifie
shes read the whole series and says they are great
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:12 pm

frugaliciousness wrote:I want to thank you for mentioning Room by Emma Donoghue.

I have been struggling for inspiration lately for something that will interest me. I have read the blurb to room and I'm hooked. I have just reserved it online at the library. Ta Smile bounce

I've just started something else & will then go the library to pick up some of hers, Room is definitely a not put downable one.

Ages ago I wnt to an auction & bought a box of cookery books. When I had a look when I got home there were 2 Mrs Beetons Books Of Household Management, one was 1869 edition, which I kept & the other was printed at about the time my Mum's house was built so gave the other to her.
They are a very interesting read unfortunately mine does have some loose pages. I do love a browse through it though.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  mouse scribe Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:30 pm

wow - how wonderful to find such old books Rosie - just think of the history and how many cooks' hands have turned those pages. I find that kind of thing fascinating!
Going to library today to pick up a reservation - it's mix of Buddhism and psychology. Fiction-wise, I have 2 collections of short stories, also from the library. Haven't made a start on them yet although I've had them for a couple of weeks. I also have (from library) a Margaret Atwood and a poetry book of Wendy Cope's.

mouse scribe

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:05 pm

I am all excited
im getting a delivery from amazon today!!!
I was very bad when i didnt feel well and ordered myself some sewing and knitting books Embarassed
and they are arriving today yippee (I would tell you all the names of them but I have forgotten Embarassed )
I will say in my defence that OH bought me a sewing machine and I am useless so need the books to help me get use out of it (thats my excuse and im sticking to it) and my youngest DD liked the knitting book, i remember that one its called Vampire Knits, and I am teaching her to knit so thats a very good reason too Very Happy
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:03 am

I'm currently reading harvesting the heart by jodi picoult; and the takeaway secret by kenny mcgovern.
I normally have one paper book and one audio book on the go at any one time, but I've got to rip a few more. basically I get books on cd out of the library and put them on my ipod.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:36 am

I have got the takeaway secret on my kindle and am planning on doing the doner kebeb next week as everyone on mse raved about it
thats a good idea putting books on your ipod, my kindle can talk to me but it just doesnt flow in my head the way it does when i am actually reading a book, I will have to remember it tho as my son is dyslexic and i am trying very hard to get him to see the joy in reading ,even if its not him actually reading but listening instead and he did say he wanted an ipod for xmas mmmm this could work out really well thanks for that tip
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:59 am

I'm dyslexic. it takes me an age to read a book, but I find I absorb them better on CD. I listen to them while doing housework!
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:13 am

its good to know that works i am definately going to give it a try with him
he has a couple of books he likes and he reads just a page or two a night but im glad he is reading at all
it was a huge relief for all of us when we were told he was dyslexic because he had pretty much given up even trying to read by that point but the school was very good with there learning support and when i told them i had found books he enjoyed they made sure they got similar ones for him
i am going to have to sit down with him and he can pick some books to put on his ipod when he gets it for xmas because he is definately getting that now Very Happy
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:35 am

flibsey wrote:I'm currently reading harvesting the heart by jodi picoult; and the takeaway secret by kenny mcgovern.
I normally have one paper book and one audio book on the go at any one time, but I've got to rip a few more. basically I get books on cd out of the library and put them on my ipod.

Have you read 19 minutes by Jodi Picoult? Another one that didn't get put down.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:37 am

Rosie wrote:
flibsey wrote:I'm currently reading harvesting the heart by jodi picoult; and the takeaway secret by kenny mcgovern.

Have you read 19 minutes by Jodi Picoult? Another one that didn't get put down.

yes I have. me too! I love Picoult.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:21 pm

I have just bought HFW new river cottage cookbook called veg everyday and tho i havent had time to cook anything from it yet a lot of the recipes sound really good, i am trying to get my kids to eat more veg as usual. I think if you are vegetarian/vegan or just looking to cut down on meat a bit it would be a good investment.Going to put this on the cookbook thread as well
On MSE they have a thread running at the moment about Kindles and links to get cheap and free books and are also discussing good household management books for it...just thought i would let you guys know incase you havent seen it yet oh and if you dont have a kindle you can still download the books to your laptop with a free kindle reading app from amazon (free is always good!)
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:47 am

I still can't see myself reading ebooks lol. I did have a play with a kindle in staples the other day and actually rather liked it! but I can't see myself either being able to afford such an expense, or reading ebooks on my laptop.

I am currently listening to jodi picoult's tenth circle on my little ipod shuffle while doing housework, and reading pd james's children of men while in bed/bath/on loo etc. totally different to the film.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  knitmylife Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:50 am

another manic reader here.

im currently reading jodi picoult too. house rules about an austisic boy accused of murder. its excellent.

for anyone with an autisic relative or like me working with austisic young people its an incredible insight into their world.

its very humbling and thought provoking.

i have another 6 on the bedside table from the library and cant wait to get started on those too xx
knitmylife
knitmylife

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:09 am

knitmylife wrote:another manic reader here.

im currently reading jodi picoult too. house rules about an austisic boy accused of murder. its excellent.

for anyone with an autisic relative or like me working with austisic young people its an incredible insight into their world.

its very humbling and thought provoking.

i have another 6 on the bedside table from the library and cant wait to get started on those too xx

House Rules, wonderful and amazing book. "look after your brother, you've only got one".
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  knitmylife Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:29 am

its is totally fantastic. i love the bit where he is talking to another boy who also has an autistic brother and he says how do you do it

and the other boys replies 'it could have been me'.

its so brilliant. probably the best book i have read in a very long time x
knitmylife
knitmylife

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:05 am

I loved it because I saw so much of my cousin (Asperger's sufferer) in him. it made me understand Miles's tactile problems and why, even at age 18, he has to hide himself away occasionally lest he have a meltdown.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next