homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else love to read and what are you reading just now

+17
flibsey
froogs
taurusgb
mouse scribe
Anne
juliapenguin
SilverBird
kat360
life_in_termoil
stiltwalker
cat_smith
righter
helen jelly
TP
Rosie
alec eiffel
lollyfin
21 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Anyone else love to read and what are you reading just now - Page 3 Empty Re: Anyone else love to read and what are you reading just now

Post  knitmylife Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:50 am

omg i finished this last night and have now passed it to my mother. its was fantastic i cant recommend it highly enough.

it has helped me understand the children i work with so much better. just the simple things like a colour or a sound could cause a meltdown. and how overwhelmed by noise and other sensory demands these children/adults are. wow xx
knitmylife
knitmylife

Back to top Go down

Anyone else love to read and what are you reading just now - Page 3 Empty Re: Anyone else love to read and what are you reading just now

Post  alec eiffel Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:33 pm

Has anyone read "Breaking Night" by Liz Murray?

I wouldn't usually read a book like that - a my story of survival girlie type book but Liz was interviewed on the radio at the start of this year before her book was released over here and she was great, a wonderful story teller and with just such a fantastic energy. The interview was on at about 3am so I had to stay awake for the rest of the night so I could remember what the name of the book was to write it down in the morning!

Not got very far into it (I have been distracted by another book) but it's an interesting story.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:37 am

i go through stages of reading. Sometimes i read alot and then very little or not at all. I do like to have a book on the go on Holiday so shall be looking to take one. The place where we stay on holiday (the apartment) has a book shelf and lots of books there for people to read. You can also leave a book there for someone else if you want too to read. Great idea.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:31 am

maureen lee, mother of pearl havent started it yet?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  pipling Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:56 am

I am reading Jill Mansell - Rumour Has It. I don't normally read girly books or chick-lit, but I am really quite enjoying it Embarassed . I normally read historical fiction, crime or biographies.
pipling
pipling

Back to top Go down

Post  knitmylife Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:46 am

currently reading ' the slap' very interesting and controversial.

definitely reccommend it x
knitmylife
knitmylife

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:01 am

whats it about?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  pipling Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:17 pm

Thought is was about time this discussion was bumped up.
When it's cold outside, there is nothing better than snuggling down with a good book. Very Happy

I am currently reading "Jamrach's Menagerie" by Carol Birch, and I am enjoying it so far.

What's everyone else reading at the mo?

And is anyone else here on "Good Reads"? I am and I am doing the 2012 reading challenge. I have set a target of 30 books for this year.
pipling
pipling

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:20 pm

I'm just puttering through some Scandinavian design books at the minute, I never read fiction.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:30 pm

Nothing at the moment. Will sort something out for holiday in March i do like to read when going away.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  pipling Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:52 am

I've read 4 books in january, none were outstanding TBH.

Currently reading another Jill Mansell - Take a Chance on me.
Chick-lit is not really my thing but I find her books are so easy to read and a bit of escapism, that I am gradually working my way through them all.
pipling
pipling

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:37 pm

I'm taking a couple of books back to the library today, one about "modern retro" and one about decorating with white. Other than that I've been reading about quilting and that's about it. I've ordered a book about Grayson Perry so hopefully I'll get that soon and get stuck into that.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  knitmylife Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:07 am

after sitting on my bedside table for two years i have just finished ' the girl with the dragon tattoo'.

i found it very very slow but the last 100 pages or so were great.

after it being recommended loads i was a little disappointed. anyone else read it x
knitmylife
knitmylife

Back to top Go down

Post  pipling Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:37 am

knitmylife wrote:after sitting on my bedside table for two years i have just finished ' the girl with the dragon tattoo'.

i found it very very slow but the last 100 pages or so were great.

after it being recommended loads i was a little disappointed. anyone else read it x

My Dh read that and the following book recently, he really enjoyed them. It is on my "to-read" pile, but it has been there for some time as it doesn't grab me tbh.

I'm currently reading "Screwed" by Ronnie Thompson, which is a memoir of a Prison Officer. Its really quite an interesting book, but contains lots of bad language. Shocked
pipling
pipling

Back to top Go down

Post  knitmylife Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:31 am

as i said it sat on my bedside table for two years as it really didnt grab me but eventually i thought i have to give it a go.

will start book 2 tonight x
knitmylife
knitmylife

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:43 am

I am currently reading... something of which I can't remember the title, but it's very good lol. I've just finished "why do men have nipples?" which was very interesting and incredibly entertaining.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  mollieblogs Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:49 am

Sounds interesting Flibsey Very Happy

I do like to read but once I start a book I cannot put it down until it's finished. Even if that meant staying up till 4 a.m or not making any tea or even the house being on fire Shocked

So I leave books to holidays and read magazines such as Take a Break, Chat etc for a quick-fix read!
mollieblogs
mollieblogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:20 pm

I picked up a few books at the library this week, I'm just about to start "Dispatches From The Sofa" by Frank Skinner. Just saw it on the shelf so picked it up, I think he's pretty funny. I think it's a collection of articles he's written so it should be a quick and easy read.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  bildanto Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:07 am

Hi all, I am new to the forum but this post is right up my street as I have always been an avid reader. I enjoyed the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but the second and third in the series were good but didn't hook me the same. I preferred the Jo Nesbo (Harry Hole) series of books better and a new one in the series is due out soon. I love serial killer "who dunnits" and my favourite authors are Tess Gerritsen, Karin Slaughter, Karen Rose, Jodi Picoult (not murder but more of life dilemmas but gripping books). I am trying to get my 10 year old son into reading more as I know it will help him with his school work. It was costing me quite a bit in books so now I tend to buy paperbacks used off Amazon, Mandy
bildanto
bildanto

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:44 am

Ooohh just got 8 Tess Gerritsen from the book people for a fiver. They are all fairly early stand alone ones but they should keep me going for a while. Also got a load of vampire/demon type fantasy books out of the library - complete tripe but a rollicking good read to relax with and with 2 small ones and 2 OU courses I can't deal with serious reading at the moment!
stiltwalker
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  bildanto Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:53 am

Re Tess Gerritsen, a couple of the best books I have ever read are hers - The Surgeon (book 1) and The Apprentice (book 2), if you have those in your bunch of books you will be delighted.
bildanto
bildanto

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:01 am

No it's then less well known ones but I have and have read both of those and they are excellent. I also really enjoyed Body Double.
stiltwalker
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  bildanto Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:19 am

Well don't really think she does a bad book. I am just reading Chris Carter, Crucifix Killer after seeing v good reviews on Amazon and it is the first in a series, mum read it first and said it is very good so am looking forward to another gripping read.
bildanto
bildanto

Back to top Go down

Post  knitmylife Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:57 am

bildanto those are all my favourites too.

i have read the 2nd book int the millenium series - ok. not going to start the third one at the moment will give myself a break from all those foriegn names and places lol.

now reading the 19th wife about polygamy. very interesting. enjoying that emmensely. i love love love reading x
knitmylife
knitmylife

Back to top Go down

Post  bildanto Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:01 am

Just looked up the 19th wife on Amazon thanks for the tip and I agree it looks a good read. I usually read the Richard & Judy book selections, apparently Before I go to sleep by S J Watson is supposed to be v good has anyone read it?
bildanto
bildanto

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next