homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introduce yourself

+68
loving life
bildanto
Pound Shop Pam
Alison Funnell
MumofMany
mollieblogs
karenagain
janethegoose
ruthl2606
bakergirl
Aisles
princessx87
rosesnan
Mazzzy
sunrisecards
susiesoo
hele
PixieDust
MrsH
caledoniaquine
wannaoz
Pippajo
appletree
Teresa
marciared
froogs
Bev@home
SunnyMummy
parsniphead
mancbird
flibsey
PurpleIvy
Chipps
taurusgb
jetbag
Gintotmelinda
mouse scribe
tooties
MrsMoo
kat360
the_cat
Gien
SilverBird
janeym8
fuddle
luciferswench
pipling
dolly blue
Rosie
cat_smith
kimsmum
lollyfin
2boysmum
mesh
Anne
stiltwalker
helen jelly
csarina
Bitsy Beans
knitmylife
life_in_termoil
TattyG
wendy
alec eiffel
juliapenguin
sock-knitter
Red Doe
TP
72 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Introduce yourself - Page 2 Empty Re: Introduce yourself

Post  pipling Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:14 am

Hello,
I followed the link from MSE to here. I have been reading your thread over there, but decided for a name change for this site!

I am a 30 year old SAHM of a 2 year old daughter and live just outside Bristol. Although I have been a homemaker for about 6 years due to ill health but I always wanted to be a homemaker anyway.

Luckily my husband has been VERY supportive and I love this lifestyle.

Hoping to meet some new friends here as it can be quite isolating sometimes as I live a few miles away from family.
pipling
pipling

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:21 am

Hi Pipling.
Welcome everyone.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  luciferswench Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:58 am

Another one following the link from MSE Very Happy
Im a single SAHM to 3 children aged 12, 7 and 5. I like being a homemaker and will miss it when i go back into work shortly.
Theres barely enough hours in the day as it is.

luciferswench

Back to top Go down

Post  fuddle Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:59 pm

hello ❤ I saw the link to here while browsing money saving expert. I have joined and would like to chat to you all.

I am a full-time mum and have two children.

I'm quite an organised person and love my job. I do see it as my job too. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

fuddle
fuddle
fuddle

Back to top Go down

Post  janeym8 Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:09 pm

hi all
im janeym8 on the MSE forum as well
been off work since last nov and am almost through the ill health retirement requirements so should be retired soon
im a wife ,a mum and a step mum but only 23 year old stepson still at home and soon to move out

im trying to get some structure into my day but illness makes it hard ive got MS but just get on with life
i like cooking,crafting,and my computer lol

hope to get to know you all better

janey xxx
janeym8
janeym8

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:22 pm

Welcome everyone
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  SilverBird Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:04 am

Hi to everyone,

I've found my way here from the MSE forum, and have the same username there.

Don't miss being out in the big wide world in the slightest! Spend my days doing craft-related stuff, computer/web design stuff, eBay, re-arranging the dust and making sure there's something to eat. Have been married for 42 yrs (married the day after my 18th birthday!!!). Our DS is 33 yrs - flew the nest 6 yrs ago when he married. DGD age 2½ yrs and DGS age 3 months. I love being a grandma!!! DH took early retirement and keeps himself occupied with various interests/hobbies. Born in the Midlands but now live in Greater Manchester (or Lancashire, depending on your point of view), approx 15 miles from the city centre.

Looking forward to seeing this forum grow and getting to know you all.

SilverBird, x

Last edited by SilverBird on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilverBird
SilverBird

Back to top Go down

Post  Gien Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:28 pm

I too followed the link from MSE. I've been a SAHM for 15 years now although I have worked part time for 7 of those years. I have 3 children, 2 sons, 15 and 13 and a 6 year old daughter.

I really don't see myself as a homemaker even though I've done it for such a long time, partly because I'm rubbish at it partly because I quite often feel I should be working even though the idea of it is terrifying!

We have moved a fair amount for my husbands job and this has meant that a lot of my homemaking has been literally moving, unpacking, setting up home, getting everyone settled and picking up support networks etc. This has been quite tough because I'm naturally a quite introverted person.
Looking forward to getting to know you all and sharing our homemaker lives.

Gien

Back to top Go down

Post  the_cat Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:09 pm

Belated hello to all

I jumped right into the general chat a few days ago and have just realised I didn't introduce myself...... how rude! Very Happy Embarassed

I came from MSE like most of you. Been at home about 4 years now and have two teen sons plus OH. Still struggling to come to terms with being 'just' a housewife even though it makes most sense overall.

Have a long list of stuff to try to accomplish over the next year, some fun things (like new hobbies to try) plus chores etc which keep getting put off which I hope will give me more sense of purpose. Plus talking to people on here and reading the MSE threads which could easily take most of my time!

the_cat

Back to top Go down

Post  kat360 Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:01 pm

Hi all,

I'm a 24 year old SAHM, I have 20 month old and 8 month old girls. I suffer from osteoarthritis and am in pain on a daily basis. Embarassed I am originally from the West Midlands but am currently located in Northumberland due to my OH being in the RAF. My OH is going away for four months next year :affraid: Am trying to learn how to drive before then.

Kat360

kat360

Back to top Go down

Introduce yourself - Page 2 Empty Mrs Moo

Post  MrsMoo Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:05 pm

Hello,

I hope that you dont mind but I followed you over from MSE. I havent posted much over there because I felt that I didn't really fit the bill but thinking about it I do. Although I do work full time I work from home and I am hoping (next year) to be more part time and spend more time home making. I would love to be a full time home maker.

I am in my 40s have worked since the day after I left school. I live in Wales with my partner, a great dane and an african grey parrot. Since moving to Wales I have not made any friends locally. As I work from home all of my colleagues are in Cardiff and I am in Mid Wales. For me I would love to get the balance of working and home life better. Working from home means that I find it hard to switch off and do housework etc and having that demarkation is very difficult.

Hopefully I will learn lots from all of you homeworkers so that I can work towards full time homemaking and part time working.
MrsMoo
MrsMoo

Back to top Go down

Post  tooties Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:00 am

Hi everyone, i have also meandered over from mse,
i was a sahm from 1988 until 2002, from having my children to beginning my nursing training, i worked full time for a while then retired through ill health,(depression, fibro, me and neurological probs with walking). i am very happy being a homemaker but i do miss lots of aspects of being a career woman. i have now resigned myself to the fact that i am a full time homemaker now and its the only job i will ever have.
currently living in Fife in Scotland but hoping for a change soon
regards
tooties

tooties

Back to top Go down

Post  mouse scribe Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:20 am

Hello - nice to see lots of folk in here! I am a home maker at the moment but might go back to some teaching. Looking forward to being part of this little cheerful community!

mouse scribe

Back to top Go down

Post  Gintotmelinda Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:49 am

hi I'm Gintotmelinda from MSE and I gave up my tutoring job in July. Currently a homemaker with OH working 4 days and a grown son still at home. I am trying to develop hobbies and interests as I used to only think about work before. I worked for a voluntary sector not for profit organisation and it became my life..........need to do things for me and not mentor other people's learning to get them through a vocational qualification. Sooo...I like to enter competitions and I cook from scratch and make jam. I am interested in family history too. I would like to be better at craft but need to practice-I make a mess and then give up! I would like to be able to crochet and I have forgotten how to knit Sad I agree, the structure of the day can be a problem!
Gintotmelinda
Gintotmelinda

Back to top Go down

Post  jetbag Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:23 pm

Hi I'm jebag, I followed you all over here from MSE.
I am 44 and live with DH, 2 grown up sons, 2 dogs and 1 cat.
I left work 10 months ago because the hours were getting too long and I felt working and sleeping was just wasting my life away.
So I now am at home, I do a little bit of admin work for my Husband's business, probably only a couple of hours a week.
I now want to start making my house beautiful and full of pretty things, In the last week I have painted 2 sets of old pine chests of drawers.
jetbag
jetbag

Back to top Go down

Post  taurusgb Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:02 am

I gravitated here from MSE - and I LOVE the friendly non-judgemental attitude.

I live in Warwickshire and have 2 older children who have left home, plus a 20 year old daughter just about to start her final year at uni and a 16 year old son just about to move from school to college.

I usually work part time as an administrator but am currently off sick. I was a stay at home mum for all my children and only went back to work when my youngest child went to High school - and only returned then as we needed the money. I was very happy to be at home cooking, crafting and looking after our home and my family.

My husband and children loved me being at home as much as I loved being there - a lot of other people (including family members) seemed to have a probelm with it though.

Last edited by taurusgb on Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
taurusgb
taurusgb

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:07 am

welcome everyone great to see some new people!
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Chipps Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:08 am

Hi

I just thought I would say hello - haven't looked through the whole of this thread yet to see who's here, but guess there are a lot of MSE people.

This is just a quick post to say hi, but I will pop back when more time.

Chipps
Chipps

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:13 am

Hi Chipps.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:41 am

Well at last....I started out my working life as cook in a boarding school, degree, primary school teacher till we started a family and moved area about the same time. I've not been in full time work since then, but most recently was working in Learning Support in 6th form college. I did about 20 hours at one stage, but they have been trying to get rid of part timers. Last academic years I was doing 5 1/2 per week over 2 mornings. Too much hassle and it was really doing my head in, especially lack of communication from my LM. I had my gallbladder out earlier in the year. Would you believe that I didn't even have an email from her? Or card from anyone.

I've been doing sewing and alterations now 'officially' since the beginning of the year and also some beauty/holistic treatments ( not many, but I enjoy it) so eventually was brave enough to hope that I'll earn enough working at home. I'm much much happier already. I'm not constantly waiting to find out when duties will start this term or wondering if I'll get any hours.

I love sewing, cooking, reading, cardcraft/rubber stamping, knitting (but only socks these days!) and all manner of other activities. I love to be here for my family, hub and dd (21) and DS(18). DS just about to go to Uni, DD has had 2 years there following gap year and now on a language placement in Italy this year.

PurpleIvy
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Chipps Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:08 am

Hi, finallly getting round to introducing myself. I gravitated here from MSE too.

DH & I celebrated our pearl anniversary back in July - we have 3 grown up children, DD (28), DS1(25) & DS2 (20, but 21 next week). Our daughter & elder son are both married - DD has 2 girls aged 6 & 7. I like being a grandma! Kids you love but can give back!

I am also a granddaughter - my grandma is 102 & still lives in her own home, although my mum goes over almost every day & there are carers who go in too. In fact this is really one of the main reasons why I gave up working full time, to help mum out. I had dropped my hours down to 3 1/2 days, but kept being asked if I could 'just do a few extra hours' - and was pretty much back to full time.... So I handed in my notice, just in time for that really bad snow last year. My mum doesn't drive, & it would have been impossible for her to get to the village where my grandma lives without a car. Someone at work suggested I ask about the possibility of remaining on the payroll as a temp, which I did. So now I work when required, if available. This suits me just fine! I had 2 weeks of 3 days each last month, was in the office this past Tuesday, & have 4 more days later this month.

My DH is quite happy for me to be at home, in fact although he always says 'good!' when I have work, he much prefers me to be home when he gets in - and likes his dinner to be cooked! When I was working full time he was usually in first & would get dinner started.

We are both very much involved in our church, we are Christians, & DH is a deacon in our church. We are both involved in childrens clubs and activities which keeps us busy! There is always something going on.

I can't say I ever get bored being 'at home' (by which I don't necessarily mean 'in the house!'), as there is always something that needs doing, or somewhere to go! The only downside is the lack of money - DH's job is not a highly paid one - but after quite a few years of living on one income we have got used to not having too much of the stuff! I only started work full time about 4 years ago after we had finished home educating for 10 years, and have been doing temp work for the same company for nearly a year, so we hadn't got used to too much luxury!!!

It's nice to be here & not have to justify my 'job!' Smile
Chipps
Chipps

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:47 am

Hi Chipps it is nice here no one minds if you do or dont work, its nice not to be defined by what you do but rather the kind of person you are
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:19 am

Wow Chipps, how did you find time to work outside the house?
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  Chipps Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:53 am

Hi Rosie

at the time I started work, my grandma was still quite fit & healthy. Up until she was 95 she was just carrying on with life as she always had done (perhaps a little slower at some things) - she would take herself into Colchester on the bus to go shopping, or walk into the shops in the village, go out on day trips & holidays etc. But then she had a fall & lost confidence as well as losing some mobility. At 99 she fell & broke her hip, and at 100 she had a knee replacement on the other leg. Over the past few years her mobility has been getting increasingly worse (hardly surprising) but it is really only in the last year and a half that she has needed more constant help. So 4 years ago she was quite able to get about within her bungalow, cook her own meals etc, just needed help in getting out & about.

As she became more immobile, that was when I reduced work hours, but last year it became clear that it was still too much.

The firm I work for were very good & let me arrange hours so that I was home in time for the kids club each week, and for other children's work such as a week's holiday club in summer & schools exhibitions I just booked holiday, so it wasn't too much of a problem.
Chipps
Chipps

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:34 pm

I am Emma, 28, wife of Jim mum of 1 rather noisy bu very clever 5 year old called Sophie.
I've been a SAHM since giving up work in 2005 due to pregnancy complications. I'm terrible at housework, but I try hard lol.
I found this forum through MSE.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum