homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

for the crafty amongst us

+20
flibsey
tooties
taurusgb
jetbag
SilverBird
fuddle
janeym8
mesh
stiltwalker
PurpleIvy
wendy
knitmylife
juliapenguin
lollyfin
alec eiffel
life_in_termoil
TP
helen jelly
Anne
froogs
24 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

for the crafty amongst us - Page 3 Empty Re: for the crafty amongst us

Post  fuddle Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:05 pm

*Puts her hand up and admits she's shy too Embarassed

Sometimes being shy and sensitive is a good personality trait i.e. lovely people but for me personally it holds me back and leads to frustration.

Yeah I would use them every year so I guess in the ling run it would save me money Very Happy

Going to try to be crafty today. I've a few things to get done before I even think of picking up a crochet hook but can't wait to do so! Sad best get off here then!
fuddle
fuddle

Back to top Go down

Post  tooties Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi everyone,
i am an avid knitter and knit everything and anything i can get my hands on lol
i do a little crochet but i dont find it too enjoyable so hardly ever do it,
i cross stich, currently cross stitching a cushion cover for my dad's xmas
before i moved to fife i was learning patchwork but i havent done any for ages
i would love to do scrapbooking but i have the perception that it would be an expensive craft.
i tried oil painting a few years ago it was ok i won't be returning to it though (even though i sold one of my paintings at a local art show).
very keen to learn embroidery think thats going to be my next challenge but not till after xmas as i have a list of socks, cardies, jumpers, scarves etc for xmas presents
regards

tooties

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:00 pm

wow tooties you are busy and talented
I am not getting anything crafty done today as have too much housework to do (im only sneeking on here in between jobs so i dont go sod it and do nothing)
it will be nice to sit down in a tidy...ish house tonight so maybe i will practise another crochet stitch i can do the chain and the basic one but thats it, quite proud of myself tho im teaching myself and only started at the weekend
a wall hanging sounds amazing but a massive undertaking...i would be to scared to start Smile
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:16 pm

I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to get the big bit of fabric onto the wall... the getting started was the fun bit once I'd drawn the basic design on. It's brilliant to do it on days like today as the wadding keeps me super warm :cheers:

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  jetbag Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:38 pm

I am just going to finish vacuuming downstairs then I am going to get some more of my crochet blanket done, with the weather turning colder I think I will need to get it finished sooner rather than later, and I am not very fast as quite new to crochet, so could take me a few more weeks yet.
jetbag
jetbag

Back to top Go down

Post  knitmylife Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:14 pm

hi gals. im not shy at all but after 18 months of living in my new village ive still not ventured to one of the craft groups near me - so maybe i am shy after all!!! every time i think ill go and then i think well i might as well sit at home and knit or crochet etc.

i am currently working on a teacosy. ive never made one before and its great fun. we have relatives staying at the weekend and one was requested so its under construction.

will definitely work on it at some point today but no idea when xx
knitmylife
knitmylife

Back to top Go down

Post  SilverBird Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:00 am

I enjoy knitting (hand and machine), crochet, sewing, counted cross stitch and cardmaking - always have several projects on the go so that there's something to be getting on with depending on where I am, the time of day and the time available!

Recently purchased some 'extreme' crochet hooks but haven't used them yet.
SilverBird
SilverBird

Back to top Go down

Post  fuddle Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:39 am

What is an extreme crochet hook?

My garland has fast turned into a red and green stripey basket for holding Christmas sweet treats. I'm thinking about the C word today, must be the awful late autumn like weather Embarassed
fuddle
fuddle

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:33 am

fuddle wrote:
frugaliciousness wrote:After my moany posts yesterday about not having much exciting to do in the week I really liked the idea of restoring (probably not restoring, but changing furniture) so I've had my eye on freecycle for furniture yesterday. Last night i contacted someone offering my interest in a farmhouse chair. It's been painted apparently and no idea what it looks like but surely as long as it's sturdy it will come in handy and give me a project to do other than crocheting.

we'll see if i manage to get it :?:

Did you get the chair?

Yes I did! I have only just found out as have been away to my father-in-laws at the weekend but it's all arranged. DH is collecting it tomorrow bounce
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:46 am

Are you going to take before and after pics...think you should Very Happy
Oh can we post pics here?
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:51 am

I am : Very Happy

We can post pics but we have to wait 7 days until the forum lets us. Not be long now. Think I joined on a Thursday. I think Embarassed lol at my post count
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:56 am

Lol. I was just about to ask if pics can be posted :-)
Anne x
Anne
Anne

http://jer33v3.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:16 am

I have posted more here in a week than in about 6 years on mse Embarassed
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:44 pm

I love this:

for the crafty amongst us - Page 3 012711-wordlove

so simple. going to give it a go. Taken from Pinterest via re-nest.com
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:57 pm

They are great frugaliciousness :-) Did you do them. I love the pink one. How did you do it ?

for the crafty amongst us - Page 3 Giftset2sm

Hopefully you should all be seeing a picture of the gift set I put together for my friend. Will be giving it to her tonight :-) It has some hoc choc sachets in and Earl Grey tea bags. The hot chocolate cost as much as the mug lol. When I'm in WIlko's next I'm going to pick up a set of white mugs, they were doing them in sets of 6. I suppose I could source some on the internet. I paid £1 for this one.

Anne x
Anne
Anne

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:10 pm

they both look great (i may have to pinch some of your ideas Very Happy if thats ok)
I was thinking of doing hampers as pressies for our folks this year all full of homemade sweets,cakes and things
those mug sets would go really well
lets hope i can get organised bacause our parents are nightmares to buy for they dont need anything and i feel like we spend money on stuff they dont need/want just to give them something
oh i think im talking the C time already as well we need our thread Laughing
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:22 pm

No it's not mine.... eeeek no I didn't do those signs. I pinched the photo off the net. I want to try one though. I'm thinking 'welcome' for the porch.

I love your mug gift set Anne. I'm going to do one for my mother-in-law because that looks fabulous. Thanks for the pic inspiration!
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:10 pm

:-) Last year Wilkingsons were selling sets with cosies that were very flimsie, and industrially made. They were what gave me the idea. I think they make a lovely present, you can go bonkers with ideas. Egg cups, with cosies (they could be made in a night as they are small), perhaps throw a toast rack in and some homemade jam for those who have it ??? The combinations can be anything really. I'm thinking of doing my mum a hot water bottle cosy, with a hot water bottle, a pair of bed socks, and maybe buy her a book, so she can cosy up in bed in the winter :-) ?? I'd really like to get my act together and do a stall sometime or other, to raise some money for a school our church sponsers over in Butalle (sp?) in Africa, but, I need to be a bit better organised lol.
Anne x
Anne
Anne

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:15 am

oh I like this (again pinched from Pinterest

for the crafty amongst us - Page 3 121950517_9qaFdmh6_c
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:16 pm

My Chair! I forgot to post a pic last night. DH picked it up and brought it home after work last night.

for the crafty amongst us - Page 3 Img00511

It is really sturdy but a bit bashed with the paint work chipped slightly in places. DH thinks as it was free it should remain that way and leave it well alone. Nada, haha. I would love to strip it back to the natural wood. I must find out how to strip paint. A nice project Very Happy
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:44 pm

The chair looks great Froogs. How come you changed your name ???
I knitted a twirlly net type scarf yesterday. I did one last year for myself, so decided to do another this year, but it's shorter than I wanted. It will tuck ok into my coat, but I can't wear it and let it hang. The last on e I did was on needles the shop owner told me to use, this time I used what the pattern said. So I think I'll do myself another one, and knit it on the other needles :-) Anyway, here's a piccie of it.

for the crafty amongst us - Page 3 Scarfsm
Anne
Anne

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:49 pm

frugaliciousness was too long to type and I used to have to think carefully how to spell it. froogs is simpler Embarassed

The stitch of your scarf looks tiny and delicate. Looks great! Smile I can't fathom how you did it by knitting but I've done something similar on the crochet hook... 2dc in each stitch worked over and over beginning with a long chain. It doesn't come out as spirally as yours though.#

It's lovely Anne x
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:52 pm

Hi Anne, the scarf is very cute! I haven't made anything to wear for many years used to love it though.

Froogs - stripping paint from furniture can be a messy business, I know someone who refurbs furniture and he never does it himself, always takes it to a place to e "stripped and dipped". Good luck to you though, think I'd be reaching for the paintbrush myself, look forward to seeing how you get on with it.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:05 pm

Anne your scarf looks lovely and thats a really nice idea for raising money for a charity
froogs we had a chair just like that, it was originally my mums, it was painted green and they are lovely and tough but saying that we just got rid of it a few weeks ago as the spar across the bottom broke
i think you get stuff called nitromoss (could be fibbing! not 100% sure) that you paint on to remove old paint but i think its pretty horrible stuff
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:09 pm

Yep, Nitromors is the stuff. It's horrible.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next