homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

for the crafty amongst us

+20
flibsey
tooties
taurusgb
jetbag
SilverBird
fuddle
janeym8
mesh
stiltwalker
PurpleIvy
wendy
knitmylife
juliapenguin
lollyfin
alec eiffel
life_in_termoil
TP
helen jelly
Anne
froogs
24 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

for the crafty amongst us - Page 5 Empty Re: for the crafty amongst us

Post  lollyfin Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:31 am

I got some books from amazon today and unlike me have only looked at 1 so far because it is imho so good
Its a knitting book called Vampire Knits by Genevieve Miller (dont let the name put you off) and there are loads of things in it i want to make and not just me my DD16 looked at it with that "im only doing it to please you" look on her face and within a couple of minutes had a pad and pencil and was writing me a list of things she wants. My DD12 who chose the book with me has a list of about 11 things she wants
So its definately worth a look especially if you can get it from the library first just to check out the designs.
It is an american book but has charts and things in the back for the different names of wool and needle sizes from american to metric
i will let you know about my other buys (sewing books)when i can drag myself away from this one. am starting the pulse protectors (fingerless gloves) tonight.
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:30 am

Sounds good lollyfin. Looking forward to some piccies of the finished knits :-) I'm knitting some fingerless gloves at the moment, with the mitt flap :-)
Anne x
Anne
Anne

http://jer33v3.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:34 am

I have made one of the gloves and am really pleased with it will put up a photo once i have my camera sorted out!
now i know what i am doing i think i should be able to do a glove in a couple of hours (i havent actually knitted for about 12 years! loving it again tho)
its a good job, considering i was making the gloves for me as my DD16 wants them and so does my DD12 so thats 3 sets
I am also teaching my DD16 to knit today as well. She has never shown an interest in it before until I got this book now she wants to learn bounce so i have started her knitting a square.
she is on msn talking to her friends but is complaining every time her pals talk to her as it is interupting her knitting Very Happy
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:35 am

Hello all crafty peeps I am after a bit of info
I bought 5 x 50g balls of fancy yarn wool its basically eyelash yarn that I think its called
I have never knitted with this before and was hoping to do a scarf so can anyone tell me the size of needles i should use and approx how many stitches to cast on .yes i am useless but Very Happy as i think the wool was a bargain £4 for the 5 (i actually bought 10 shhhh) two sets of 5 for scarves for my DD's
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:39 am

eyelash yarn is a bugger to work with, but treat it like you would any other fingering weight / sock yarn.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:04 am

Thanks flibsey am going to make a start later tonight bounce
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:30 pm

So many lovely things.
Sorry I can't remember who made the hat, it is gorgeous. if only my daughter was tiny instead of a strapping great 29 year old.
Are you selling them on Etsy or Folksy?
I bet you make a killing with them.
Can you do matching mittens & scarves for bigger people?
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:36 pm

Thats a great idea rosie
froogs you should def do matching sets for big and little peeps
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

for the crafty amongst us - Page 5 Empty Die Cutting Machines?

Post  life_in_termoil Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:56 pm

Hello Lovelies.
I made a HUGE mistake yesterday, I sat and read the Christmas threads on here and on MSE and now I want NEED a die cutting machine but I dont know which one to get. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

LiT x
life_in_termoil
life_in_termoil

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:28 pm

flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  life_in_termoil Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:31 am

OOOOppppppsssssssssss

Didnt buy a bigshot, I bought a Craftrobo silhouette SD.

Cant wait till it arrives. Bang goes the housework!!

Have any of you got one and what do you do with yours? x
life_in_termoil
life_in_termoil

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:23 pm

Ive got a bigshot but not used it as much lately nut have been waiting for kids to go back to school. I am currently watching lots of xmas dies on fleabay LOL
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

http://www.thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:14 pm

Just to let you know Lidl have knitting needles in for £1.49 you get 2 circular needles or a set of 5 double ended. I splashed out and bought a few sets, need to build up my stash of knitting stuff again. They had wool as well but it was more expensive than the factory shop where i have been getting my wool lately
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:19 pm

Has anyone ever painted laminate/veneered furniture?

Our dining furniture really doesn't "go" with the look of our new house (but it went a long way to selling the old one!) but a new set is out of the question for quite a few years. It an Ikea table and isn't laminate like the Billy bookcases it's more varnished. I've read that it is possible to paint it with careful sanding and hardcore primer but was wondering if anyone has actually done it? Any advice or tips?

I'm going to do it anyway, if it goes wrong I'll just decoupage it.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:33 pm

I have used paint and grain on furniture like that to make it fit in
I think i just sanded it to give the paint something to stick to
used a primer paint
then the paint and grain undercoat (2 coats)
and did the grain over the top
I think varnishing over that would help it last longer as it does chip and scratch quite easily but to be honest by the time i had done those coats i was bored (and i am a bit nervous of using varnish as i have never used it before) but it is easy to freshen up just an undercoat of paint and grain then a top coat
Both of the paint and grain paints dry quite quickly
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:40 pm

Thanks. It looks like it's all about the prep as with anything else. I'm going to do the table top first - if that goes wrong I'll just continue to use a cloth. Looking forward to it now!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:58 pm

alec eiffel wrote:Thanks. It looks like it's all about the prep as with anything else. I'm going to do the table top first - if that goes wrong I'll just continue to use a cloth. Looking forward to it now!

You can get special primer for melamine, I think most of the sheds do their own. http://www.dulux.co.uk/servlet/SiteAdvancedSearchHandler, a link to Dulux site, the cupboard one may not need priming?
I've been using Annie Sloan paint, on varnished wood & you don't need to do any sanding or priming, I'm not sure f it works on melamine though.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:13 pm

Thanks for the link Rosie. I like the look of the Annie Sloan paint but we're going for a mid century look so sadly none of the colours are quite right which is a shame.
Did the Dulux link come up for you? It's just told me that it's not found.
People on the shabby chic thread on MSE have painted melamine stuff & have used those sorts of primers, it may be worth searching on there for first hand experience.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:39 pm

With your 60's theme, have you thought about using either wallpaper, comics or something that would fit with your scheme & varnishing, something similar to http://www.etsy.com/listing/81651811/x-men-coffee-table?ref=cat2_gallery_1
When I get my ar5e in gear I'd like tro use ild maps or music scores for inside cupboards & drawers, while looking for furniture I found a few sellers on Etsy & Folksy who do this kind of stuff & I personally think it looks brilliant in the right setting.

Here's the one I was thinking of on Folksy, http://www.folksy.com/items/1738405-Tapas-Dining-Table-4-Chairs?shop=yes
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:52 pm

The decoupage would be my fallback option. We're not really going for pop art type 60's, more mid century modern so it's a bit more simple and stripped down to the function with blocks of colour. But we shall see!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:55 pm

alec eiffel wrote:The decoupage would be my fallback option. We're not really going for pop art type 60's, more mid century modern so it's a bit more simple and stripped down to the function with blocks of colour. But we shall see!

What is mid century modern? I shall google it & see if it comes up with it. I am intrigued.
Loads of images.
Now I'm just nosey, what colours are using?
(Anything to get out of housework)
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:18 pm

You'll recognise it when you see it! This blog has loads of good stuff and give a nice overview. My house is a 60's house so we're working with that but I really like earlier designs by Arne Jacobsen, Charles and Ray Eames, Robin and Lucienne Day and stuff like that.

And I love the old classic houses The Rietveld Schröder House and the amazing Fallingwater by Frank Lloyd Wright too. So it's kind of simple, organic, but punchy. Not everyone likes it, although it seems to be coming back into fashion at the minute.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:26 pm

Who wouldn't do anything to get out of housework? Colourwise in the dining area we're painting it a kind of leaf green. We'd already had the paint mixed when we removed the 70's wallpaper only to discover that the original paint was one shade lighter than the paint we have so I was made up with that! The kitchen has the original dark brown tiles so we'll be working with them when the time comes. Our bedroom is very much more Scandinavian in feel though I must confess, although I do have a Robin Day chair in there. It's Manor House Grey and everything else is grey and white. The third bedroom has the original copper light fitting which is amazing and I love it (had to wrestle it from the electrician who was chucking it away).

Everywhere else is going to be white or a grey-brown colour, with big prints and lots of orange! It's not a faithful reproduction of how the house was but we're being very inspired by it.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:04 pm

don't use the special all in one melamine paint, it says it contains a primer an you don't need it... but it lies lol.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Thanks!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down