homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

for the crafty amongst us

+20
flibsey
tooties
taurusgb
jetbag
SilverBird
fuddle
janeym8
mesh
stiltwalker
PurpleIvy
wendy
knitmylife
juliapenguin
lollyfin
alec eiffel
life_in_termoil
TP
helen jelly
Anne
froogs
24 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

for the crafty amongst us - Page 2 Empty Re: for the crafty amongst us

Post  PurpleIvy Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:45 am

I love to make cards too. I like rubber and ink! I have stuff that I haven't used from my last couple of trips to Canada/USA (hangs head in shame). Stuff had been packed away for ages and ages, but I got it all lined up for after I had my gall bladder op earlier in the year, so all I had to do was walk in the workroom and pick something up to do. My style is probably not to everyone's taste as all these things.

I knit (these days only socks!). I sew for money and for the family as well, mostly bridal/bridesmaids alterations and making stuff for a local designer at the moment.
PurpleIvy
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:06 am

I'm so jealous of you all having time to craft, my stash hasn't been unpacked since we moved here 16 months ago! :affraid: I never get any time with the kids so little and i'm getting withdrawal symptoms. MIL taught me to knit when I was pregnant with DS as it was the one thing I hadn't learnt from my mum as a child because she holds the wool really funny and she didn't want to teach me her bad habit. Got the hang of it fine but I'm still only half way up the back of a cardi for DD - just hope she doesn't grow out of it before I finish (if I ever do) might be a good job I picked a unisex pattern and red wool!

I used to make all my cards at a bare minimum but haven't even had time to do that. Doesn't look like I'll get chance anytime soon as DS is a bit of a clingy pants and most of my posts on here are typed one handed with the babe in the other so if anyone has any ideas for one handed crafts! Laughing
stiltwalker
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:03 pm

I'm a bit sad that I have had to teach myself how to crochet and wish my grandma was still here to teach me how to knit. Sad

I'm wondering if those of you who can knit and crochet know about ravelry.com? It's fab. 1000's of free patterns on there. I'm always browsing with a list as long as Hadrian's Wall of stuff I want to try out.

Going to finish a hat to sell and see how that goes today. An owl design. I'll show you all when it's done to see if you think my stuff is good enough to sell :|

Last edited by frugaliciousness on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  mesh Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:07 pm

I enjoy cardmaking and seem to do this more in the winter. I do the bulk of the gardening, some years ago we decided to change the garden and make it wildlife friendly and am quite pleased with our success. We have munkjacks, foxes, hedgehogs, newts, frogs, approx 10 varieties of birds and successfully had 2 sets of nesting blackbirds and one bluetit. Have visiting stoats, squirrels and..... a tortoise.... no one ever claimed him so gave him to the children next door and hes doing well. I recently have been getting in crochet, I use to do this years ago. I also do furniture restoration and paint effects but have ran out of items to do!
mesh
mesh

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:55 pm

lollyfin wrote:We could be our own craft group
sit down at a certain time and work on things together while having a cuppa and a chat
and that way noone actually has to hear my bad language when things go wrong!

I really like the idea of us having an online craft group, sounds like lots of fun.

eta Mesh, I know what you mean. I've painted a few bits of furniture this year and I really enjoyed it, there's nothing else to do now though so I'm on the look out for something else. So far I've done a letter tack (not too successful) two bedside cabinets and a sideboard. I've also painted a hideous lampshade and dyed some curtains - not quite as creative but certainly moneysaving!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:21 pm

After my moany posts yesterday about not having much exciting to do in the week I really liked the idea of restoring (probably not restoring, but changing furniture) so I've had my eye on freecycle for furniture yesterday. Last night i contacted someone offering my interest in a farmhouse chair. It's been painted apparently and no idea what it looks like but surely as long as it's sturdy it will come in handy and give me a project to do other than crocheting.

we'll see if i manage to get it :?:
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  knitmylife Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:12 am

firstly im rubbish at technology and dont know how to do that quote thingy.

but whoever asked i use 100% cotton as this can be bleached and boiled etc for the dishcloths.

and yes i use ravelry all the time too. love it. but love this more xx
knitmylife
knitmylife

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:14 am

knitmylife wrote:firstly im rubbish at technology and dont know how to do that quote thingy.

but whoever asked i use 100% cotton as this can be bleached and boiled etc for the dishcloths.

and yes i use ravelry all the time too. love it. but love this more xx

To quote a post you click where it says "quote" on the right hand side of the post in question.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  knitmylife Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:17 am

To quote a post you click where it says "quote" on the right hand side of the post in question.[/quote]

thought id try it.

woo hoo did it work???

thank you very much indeed xx
knitmylife
knitmylife

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:46 pm

Hi,

Fabric Rehab are relaunching their site today and they're running a competition to win a stash of fabric. All you have to do is comment on their blog for a chance to win. Visit fabricrehab.co.uk and head for the blog!

Good luck.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  janeym8 Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:56 pm

hi all
im knitting again which i havent done since kids were small-they are now 20 but im now knitting for grandchild due jan/feb
im into cardmaking and scrapbooking as well but havent done much in last couple of months as had visitors staying then 2 of the kids got new house/flat which need lots of work

janey xxx
janeym8
janeym8

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:05 pm

Thanks for that alec have just been for a quick look and its great will be going back for a longer mooch later
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:56 pm

What a dangerous site alec! Thanks for posting it though my OH may not say the same. Laughing
stiltwalker
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  life_in_termoil Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:07 pm

I brought home from my grans a wooden radiator cover, so im going to sand it back and repaint it. Will look lovely in my newly decorated hallway. Very Happy
life_in_termoil
life_in_termoil

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:11 pm

life_in_termoil wrote:I brought home from my grans a wooden radiator cover, so im going to sand it back and repaint it. Will look lovely in my newly decorated hallway. Very Happy

Lucky you! There is nothing like having a new project to start.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  fuddle Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:11 pm

frugaliciousness wrote:After my moany posts yesterday about not having much exciting to do in the week I really liked the idea of restoring (probably not restoring, but changing furniture) so I've had my eye on freecycle for furniture yesterday. Last night i contacted someone offering my interest in a farmhouse chair. It's been painted apparently and no idea what it looks like but surely as long as it's sturdy it will come in handy and give me a project to do other than crocheting.

we'll see if i manage to get it :?:

Did you get the chair?

I have picked up something similar at car boot. Cost me £2 though. Still not bad. It is white and although it looks nice I would like to strip it back.

life in turmoil I saw you on shabby chic. Your radiator cover sounds lovely. will you post us a picture when it is finished?
fuddle
fuddle

Back to top Go down

Post  life_in_termoil Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:35 pm

[quote="fuddle"]
frugaliciousness wrote:

life in turmoil I saw you on shabby chic. Your radiator cover sounds lovely. will you post us a picture when it is finished?

Its got to get started first!!! Laughing
life_in_termoil
life_in_termoil

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:34 am

Im teaching my littlest (age 12!) to knit we are making frog booties!
then im going to teach myself to crochet
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  SilverBird Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:41 am

alec eiffel wrote:Hi,

Fabric Rehab are relaunching their site today and they're running a competition to win a stash of fabric. All you have to do is comment on their blog for a chance to win. Visit fabricrehab.co.uk and head for the blog!

Good luck.
Thanks for sharing this link.
SilverBird
SilverBird

Back to top Go down

Post  jetbag Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:04 pm

I tend to have a few different things on the go at once as I get bored doing the same thing for long.
I currently have the following in progress.
1. knitting myself a cardigan.
2. crocheting a blanket to snuggle under in the winter whilst watching TV.
3. covering old tin cans to make pretty storage pots.
4. painting some furniture.
When I feel like doing something creative I just pick one of my started projects and do a little bit more, I will get something finished one day hopefully.
jetbag
jetbag

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:32 pm

hi jet
I am trying to teach myself to crochet at the mo. i have done two tiny squares so am amazed at those of you that can tackle doing whole blankets and things like that
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  taurusgb Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:41 pm

I love to cross stitch, knit, crochet, and do patchwork. My oldest DD is my only real life friend who I can discuss ideas with and show off my creations to, which is a bit lonely (am I sad or what Embarassed ?). There is a group who meet to stitch or knit & crochet once a month in a hall 5 minutes from where I work for a 4 hour stretch, but I would only be able to join in half way through the meeting and I can't get my head past the suspicion that by the time I got there everyone would have chosen their seat, made their friend and be integrated for the day and I would end up hovering on the outside feeling conspicuous ....very stupid way for a 54 year old to think I know but I'm not very good at joining in and am shy. As am currently off sick doesn't really matter right now anyway...oh I am foolish!
taurusgb
taurusgb

Back to top Go down

Post  fuddle Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:24 pm

Hey all.

I have a few projects on the go right now.

I am crocheting the advent stars to be displayed on the fireplace. every year my children have had a bought cardboard advent calender but this year and years to follow I would like to get the fun/tradition back into my house and get creative (not line faddy shops' pockets) Even though I relise those bought calendars will be cheaper.

Also that chair I picked up at car boot. Still need to find out how to strip it back to the bare wood.
fuddle
fuddle

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:42 pm

taurus I am exactly the same, very shy and find it hard to join in also have a horrendous habit (isnt habit because i cant control it) of blushing really badly and that puts me off meeting people and getting involved in things
I love the idea of homemade advent calenders are you going to keep them and reuse them every year?
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:03 pm

Is anyone crafting today?

I'm having a massive push to get my wallhanging done before the end of the year so I'm hoping to do at least 3 hours today. I'm not confident I will get it finished but you never know!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next