homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'potatoes not prozac' support thread

+5
lollyfin
alec eiffel
Bitsy Beans
Rosie
froogs
9 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

'potatoes not prozac' support thread - Page 4 Empty Re: 'potatoes not prozac' support thread

Post  alec eiffel Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:12 pm

Glad you're feeling the benefit of it Rosie, it's the best when you find something that works for you isn't it.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

'potatoes not prozac' support thread - Page 4 Empty Re: 'potatoes not prozac' support thread

Post  Rosie Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:10 am

alec eiffel wrote:Glad you're feeling the benefit of it Rosie, it's the best when you find something that works for you isn't it.
Hopefully it will continue to work, I can't say that I'm feeling "normal" yet whatever that may be.
I hope that everyone else who's doing it is also feeling good on it.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:56 am

Feeling pretty rubbish, low mood, sick of the whole losing weight thing, just generally fed up. Some of low mood relates to tiredness, fed up of interrupted sleep from kids and/or cat, bit of stress from DS, fed up of having no couple time with H.
Lately feel like I am lurching from one emotion to another, almost bipolar although I am not. I think some of it stems from issues with DS and his ASD and then add on top feeling crappie about myself and how I look.

Sorry to whinge. Even I am sick of my own complaints but I just don't know how to stop.
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

http://www.thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:18 am

Bitsy Beans wrote:Feeling pretty rubbish, low mood, sick of the whole losing weight thing, just generally fed up. Some of low mood relates to tiredness, fed up of interrupted sleep from kids and/or cat, bit of stress from DS, fed up of having no couple time with H.
Lately feel like I am lurching from one emotion to another, almost bipolar although I am not. I think some of it stems from issues with DS and his ASD and then add on top feeling crappie about myself and how I look.

Sorry to whinge. Even I am sick of my own complaints but I just don't know how to stop.

Oh Bitsy, sorry things are rubbish for you at the moment.
Do you get any help with your son or not?
Us women can be our own worse enemies, beating ourselves up about how we look.
Try & be kind to yourself. Can you join a gym or something to give yourself some you time?
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:33 am

He's high functioning and he gets support via school but it's his late bedtime that's the problem. Last night he finally fell asleep as 9.45pm (he's 6 end of the month). He needs support to go off to sleep so one of us has to sit with him. He physically cannot "switch off" any earlier but considering I am up at 6.30am I can't cope with late nights so basically me and H don't get much time on our own, or indeed to just switch off from being mum and dad. He's been really stressy this week, tears, doesn't want to go back to school, he's no longer eating all his lunch because he percieves a lack of playtime now he's in Year One and so literally eats the bare minimum (today it was 5 small cheesy crackers) and that's it. he's not even drinking his juice.
I just can't cope with everytime things aren't going smoothly going into a tailspin about stuff. It's too much of a strain and when I feel tired (like today awake on and off since 4.30am courtesy of DD) it all feels !00% worse.
Have approached school nurse today about perhaps looking into getting him melatonin (as ASD peeps generally don't make enough) but I am not sure they'd class his bedtime issue as chronic enough to warrant it.
This all co-incides with crap skin last week and half, eating rubbish, not having the will or inclination to do any exercise, feeling overwhelmed with all that I want to change and major bout of the FUglies (you can guess what the F stands for).

And to top it all off my Potatoes not Prozac book hasn't arrived although it's allegedly been posted yesterday. Greenmetropolis might be great for environment but being expected to wait upto 10 days for a book you've bought I actually think is pretty poor.

There isn't anything anyone can do which is why I try and keep a lid on things (I think the ladies on OS Daily would run a mile if I carried on like this so I just find new forums to rant on Embarassed ). Just feel like every other day I'd be crying my eyes out and I am sick of this. Sick of being unable to accept certain inevitables and just get on with it. I keep kicking back against the fence and it's doing my head in.

And breathe.
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:46 am

Have you been to the GP? You sound as though you need help for yourself.
I'm sorry but I'm not going to be able to answer much over the weekend, as I have a friend visiting, please don't think that I'm ignoring you.
I know what that feeling of being overwhelmed is like.
Rant as much as you like, do you have a diary on here to post rants etc? Sorry I only managed to read 1 & can't remember who's. How rubbish is that?
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:49 am

I've just had a look & seen that you've not started a diary, maybe that would help, your own personal place where you can rant & write whatever you want & get support from the rest of us. 'potatoes not prozac' support thread - Page 4 2944204823
'potatoes not prozac' support thread - Page 4 3545360127 Sorry I couldn't send you flowersxx

PS There's almost as much info on the website as in the book & there's a Forum on there.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:53 am

Thanks Rosie, I might look into starting a diary. Least I can blow a little steam which always makes me feel a tiny bit better, plus it might keep me motivated for all the other things I want to change. Maybe.

I confess I don't want to go to the Dr's, I do wonder if I've developed borderline PND. I've had anxiety issues since DS was born (really horrible thoughts about aliens invading, having to hide and not being able to feed him.....stuff like that) and those thoughts increased in the last 12 months since DS was diagnosed. However I just don't want to go down the route of antidepressants. I don't wish to offend anyone that has or does take them but I have two friends who had PND and a decade on since their kids were born they are still on them. I'd rather find a different way of dealing with things but that's probably where I am having difficulties......not found out how to cope with the ups and downs of our journey with DS and his ASD. I do feel bad as his issues are very subtle, most people don't realise he's on the spectrum and then I feel guilty that I can't cope when others have kids who are more high maintenance than my DS Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed <sigh> nothing like a bit of self flagellation.....good for the soul isn't it Rolling Eyes
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:14 am

I can understand your reluctance to take meds, however sometimes there is no alternative.
I fought it for years and can cope on and off for quite a while, then everything becomes too much.
Honestly not everyone needs them for 10 years but if you do, does it matter?
I really would strongly advise you to go & see your GP.
You may find a little tablet a day means the difference between living & existing.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:58 am

I don't feel like I am existing but I am finding my rollercoaster emotions hard. I don't like gyms but I do an adult tap class once a week so I get an evening off each week although DS is rarely asleep when I get back.

Anyway will see how next week fares. You can see why though I wonder if sugar plays a part Shocked
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:43 pm

Rosie wrote:I can understand your reluctance to take meds, however sometimes there is no alternative.
I fought it for years and can cope on and off for quite a while, then everything becomes too much.
Honestly not everyone needs them for 10 years but if you do, does it matter?
I really would strongly advise you to go & see your GP.
You may find a little tablet a day means the difference between living & existing.

i second that i have taken citalopram and it realy can lift your mood.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:09 pm

bitsey i would recommend trying the program in the book
I have suffered with depression since i was a teenager and have been on and off anti depressants for years
I havent been on them for quite a few years now tho as i have been trying more natural ways to deal with it
i find repetative bad thoughts are one of my biggest problems as well, something that has been helping me with that (tho i feel like a pillock doing it) is when i recognise the thoughts happening and silly as it sounds it might take a while for me to recognise them, i say out loud "right thats enough now i will deal with you later". It has worked for me up till now, not every time but enough to give my brain some peace.
My son also has problems sleeping, not to the extent of yours but enough that it affects the household, something that helps him (and also me since i started doing it) is simply a couple of drops of lavender on his bedding. I was really sceptical about this as i thought "yuck lavender" and "how can a smell help you sleep" but for some reason it really does help and now i actually like the smell (all my kids now have pouches of lavender in their beds).
Well since i have been following the first step in the program for about a week I am pleased to say i think i might be making some progress, this is the first morning i have woken up hungry. I know it doesnt sound like much but i have been eating breakfast every morning within an hour of waking as it says but not feeling hungry, this morning i was starving so i think something must be resetting inside me Very Happy
i still havent lost any weight but my focus at the moment is feeling better and another bonus I havent stuffed myself with family sized cakes for days bounce just havent got the urge...so long may these little improvements continue
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:58 pm

Book has arrived hurrah!!!!!
Have spent all morning reading it. Oh dear rather a lot of boxes ticked. Still that's a good thing at least it means it has a chance of working. Think I might look into getting some protein shake though, no way I can eat the quantities of protein required in the morning. Also need to get a bit organised as to what to eat, no way I can get up, cook and get ready and juggle 2 kids before mindee arrives at 7.30am Shocked
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:25 am

Hi all, just checking in after being missing in action all week.

I'm doing ok you know. It's instinctive now that I have high protein for breaky. I have eaten sugar, more so today actually as it was my little ones party and all that food stuff was just sitting there. I can say thought that I feel tired, sluggish, bloated and a bit sick tonight with a dull headache. A bit too much sugar I wonder.

My tastebuds have changed already, sugary stuff tastes so sugary, sickly sweet. pale
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:52 pm

Hey froogs,

Good to see you here!

Ikwym about the sugar seeming sooooo sickly sweet after not having it for a while. Isn't it amazing how quickly things adapt? Ikwym about the sluggishness too, I don't eat bread very often and I had some this weekend, I swelled up like a big balloon and felt really sluggish all day.

Sounds like you're doing well though, good work!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:26 pm

So what do you all have for breakfast?? Need some ideas.

Am thinking of perhaps starting the journal. I feel comfortable with eating more protein at breakfast but no way I can do it within an hour of waking Embarassed

Anyway well done froogs. I am still having some sugar cravings but not worrying about that for the moment. Did have wholemeal bread with my scrambled eggs this morning to yay me Very Happy
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:30 pm

thanks for bringing this up Bitsy (btw I have the male version of the doll in your avatar. He was my favourite doll, although he's not in great shape as I removed his hat and put him in a Barcelona kit in 1984...) Anyway, I'm not following this plan but I do need ideas for breakfast.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:35 pm

breakfast is a slimfast or some cereal, Sundays i might have scrambled egg on toast and sometimes a piece of toast and spanish marmalade to go with it.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:47 pm

The breakfasts i find best to keep me going on this plan are poached eggs on toast or peanut butter on toast
I really like porridge but have to find a way to up the protein with it, i dont fancy protein powder as its quite expensive and dont fancy egg with porridge so any ideas?
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:02 pm

If you made your porridge with milk and added some nuts and seeds to it there would be a good amount of protein. IIRC porridge is about 11g protein per 100g.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:07 pm

Thats a great idea i do like nuts and seeds
Thanks for that
Yippee i can have porridge again
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:07 pm

brown sugar Smile nice not really what you had in mind though.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:46 am

Homemade museli for me for breakfast. I don't count and have no clue about the protein content but it's super healthy and will be decent protein because of all the nuts and seeds.

I can't buy the ready museli because from what I've seen they have added sugar or added sugar substitute. It's really annoying.
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:38 pm

froogs wrote:Homemade museli for me for breakfast. I don't count and have no clue about the protein content but it's super healthy and will be decent protein because of all the nuts and seeds.

I can't buy the ready museli because from what I've seen they have added sugar or added sugar substitute. It's really annoying.

Once you start reading labels it's a nightmare. Dan has to avoid certain things and the places they squeeze it in is amazing. Although the most disappointing was when MIL bought a delicious looking gateau and it turned out it contained "pork powder" pale

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:09 pm

Yuck that is disgusting why would they want to put that in a gateux!
Saying that its a bit like milk powder in crisps...just makes you go Why?
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next