homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Bread Thread

+7
marciared
PurpleIvy
stiltwalker
lollyfin
alec eiffel
TP
froogs
11 posters

Go down

A Bread Thread Empty A Bread Thread

Post  froogs Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:51 pm

Do you make your own bread?

I can and do but not religiously everyday. I find 'the daily loaf' a bit of a bind so tend to buy it in but love finding new recipes and love to make a sweet bread.

Saying that I have a cottage loaf on the window sill rising as we speak.

Have you used a breadmaker? I got one from freecycle last year. I use it sometimes, especially when it's cold, to raise and mix the dough but never bake in it. I prefer the oven baked but don't ask me why.

I plan to make my bread in weekly batches and freeze but need more tins to do that.

Do you have any recipes? I have borrowed a book from library and will put some online later, found a stollen recipe for Christmas too - Potatoes not prozac girls, maybe best kept away from here pale Shocked (me too really pale Rolling Eyes )
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

A Bread Thread Empty Re: A Bread Thread

Post  TP Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:58 pm

no sorry froogs never used a breadmaker. We buy a lovely loaf on a Saturday from the bakers it smells lovely. Smile Anything left the birds get.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:12 am

Dan is the maker of bread here. He only has two books, one is an Allinson one of continental breads and the other is the River Cottage bread book. I very occasionally make naan or focaccia but it's not something I'm over fond of doing. We did have a breadmaker but we didn't get on with it at all so it went to live somewhere else.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:08 am

i love making my own bread but will admit to being abit lazy about it recently
i do have a bread maker but only use it if i am only making one loaf. i like to make 4 at a time and some muffins so i fill the oven
Froogs i just put my loaf on a baking tray instead of using tins, you get an oval shape that way but it still rises and is fine for toast and sandwiches. I actually put 2 or 3 on so they kind of join up a little, you just cut or rip them apart when they cool
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:42 am

Do you freeze them lollyfin? Do they taste ok defrosted?
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:19 am

i find they freeze and defrost fine
I usually leave two out and freeze two
I use the bags you can buy to keep your veg fresh to keep the loaves in and and they stay nice in them. Im sure i read somewhere that keeping them in the bags inside cereal boxes is good as well
When i am on making bread i do it this way as i only have to bake twice a week instead of every other day
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:38 am

I would like to bake 5-7 loaves for the week, all in the oven just one time. I'm yet to find a recipe for a simple loaf that turns out good though.

All my fruity tries taste fab but my loafs either taste doughy or are rock hard. I'll defo try them on the baking tray lollyfin. Thank you for that! Smile

froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:56 am

Swot of the week here, I make all our bread - trouble is Now I've done that for a while OH and DD won't touch the bought stuff so I'm stuck with it even if I'm not in the mood! Rolling Eyes Mostly I just do a very basic white loaf though nothing fancy just 500g bread flour, 7g salt, 20g fresh yeast (but the strong stuff OH gets me from the bakery in store) and 300g water mix together and knead. So only really takes me about 10/15 minutes while DD is finishing off her tea.
stiltwalker
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:33 am

My mum had phases when we were young making bread. It was a habit for her, she did it at a time of week when she was home doing other stuff, so that she could pop back to it when it needed attention. The airing cupboard was in the dining room next to the kitchen, so very convenient for proving.

A lot of years ago I got a bread maker and not really bought much bread since. I always make the same loaf, which has malted flour from a mill and a variety of seeds in it, usually sunflower, pumpkin and maybe linseed or something else.

I also make naan occasionally with onion seeds in it. Also pizza crusts. Occasionally a sweet loaf.

The family loves my bread, although it's a bit drier than shop bread.

I use cereal bags when they're big enough. We're on special offer large boxes of cornflakes at the moment.

Shall have to review all this though, dd gone to Italy for 9 months and ds going off to Uni. Might slice and freeze half a loaf, so it doesn't go dry/mouldy.
PurpleIvy
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  marciared Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:16 am

I bet it all tastes lovely. There is only me really so i just buy the bread I need.
marciared
marciared

Back to top Go down

Post  mesh Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:18 am

I do my bread in a breadmaker as I have a problem with my left elbow and find kneeding nigh on impossible. We dont eat too much bread these days and tend to have granary with added bits or wholemeal with bits in.

I store my loafs in old bags and cereal bags too!
mesh
mesh

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:44 am

apparantely you can make bread without a bread maker but i guess you all know that.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Teresa Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:14 am

i love to make my own bread, now i only really buy bread if it is reduced to sabout 30p and i freeze it, easy for taking out the freezer for toast etc. I too use the breadmaker to mix/prove but then transfer to oven for baking. tastes so much better!! my bread always seems really heavy and a bit doughy tho. anyone any ideas what im doing wrong? i also love to make rolls too.
Teresa
Teresa

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:07 am

I like making my own bread. I do it by hand. I use my massive stock pan and a bamboo steamer for proving Wink put boiling water in the pan, put the steamer on it, stick the dough in a bowl on the steamer lol.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:15 am

Saw the most expensive bread last night I have ever seen £4.00 Shocked Shocked
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:42 am

We make bread have since I was about 13years old.

We don't make bread every week but we do love homebaked loaves and you put what you want in them so arn't full of the rubbish they put into mass producted bread.

Did any one see the bbc2 food programme that covered bread?

We now have bread maker but we don't use the reciepies that go with it they are far to salty. Also we don't bake in it. We did try a few times but it always came out with a loaf that had a rather hard and thick crust all the away around.

I quite enjoy kneeding the dough but as we don't always have a lot of time leting the bread maker do that bit is a lovely time saver.

I do make a nice half and half wholemeal/strong white loaf or rolls and I love my own reciepe tomato and rosemary or my cheese and onion rolls Very Happy

Sometime's I make a sweet dough with sultana's in Very Happy
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:40 am

fook me, was it gold plated??!
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:07 am

There's a programme on about bread at the moment on TV. I dont mean at the moment i mean these last few nights.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:15 am

TP wrote:There's a programme on about bread at the moment on TV. I dont mean at the moment i mean these last few nights.

I watched it last night but only caught the last 5minutes of tonights
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:56 pm

it is on bbc iplayer and worth a watch.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content