homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'potatoes not prozac' support thread

+5
lollyfin
alec eiffel
Bitsy Beans
Rosie
froogs
9 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

'potatoes not prozac' support thread - Page 3 Empty Re: 'potatoes not prozac' support thread

Post  alec eiffel Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:27 pm

I think the only thing I'd be mindful of is to make sure you're not replacing one set of potentially unhealthy foods with another. When you're eating large amounts of protein it's easy to also eat a load of fat so just be mindful that you're getting plenty of low fat sources too - beans, lentils, fish and things like that.

Other than that I think it's more protein that a person really needs (most people eat more protein than they need anyway) it's not a bad diet (and I use diet to mean "what we eat" rather than "a temporary thing we do to solve a problem we think we have"). It looks like it's just pointing you towards the facts that breakfast is good, protein makes you feel fuller for longer, sugar can make you tired, give you energy spikes, and alter your mood - I don't have a problem with being mindful about that. Moving away from refined carbs and towards eating foods in their more natural state is good to me.

Don't worry about it, like anything else, take what you like and leave the rest, I don't think you have to go the whole hog with anything in order to get benefit from it. Going slowly is the best way, doing the easy stuff first then seeing how you fell is fine. It's like decluttering - deal with the stuff that's easy first then work on the problems later, you're more likely to succeed that way rather than getting overwhelmed and burning out.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

'potatoes not prozac' support thread - Page 3 Empty Re: 'potatoes not prozac' support thread

Post  froogs Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:02 pm

It's actually really interesting you say that alec eiffel. DH made an observation this morning saying be careful I don't 'do that Atkins Diet' and it got me thinking (while I was eating bacon and eggs) How different is it from that? I can eat fruit and veg in abundance so that is one really important difference but yeah, I have to be careful not to be frying food, eating too many sausages/burgers etc.

Another really scary observation... my eldest had those choclately cereals for her breakfast (I am a good Mum, honest, but I have to admit they do eat, on occasion, the sugary stuff) and has asked for a snack at 10.30. I, on the other hand am still full.

I have explained as best I can to a 6 year old that it's because her sugary breakfast hasn't filled her up so now she's hungry again. I said I bet you feel a bit down, miserable and bored too huh? She said yeah. So they're tucking into wholegrain toast as their snack and going to have porridge in the morning. A big eye opener to something so subtle. Shocked

froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:19 pm

We sleepwalk into habits, everyone does it so don't worry. It's only when you examine what you're doing that you see what has been hidden in plain view.

It's all about being prepared and informing yourself. It's easy to get carried away with a new book or system of doing things but when life hits you need to be able to motivate yourself and know what's what imo. When we gave up meat I read up on nutrition so I could make sure we were getting all the nutrients we need. I'm a bit of a geek in that I like to know what each nutrient does rather than just knowing what the suggested daily intake was. I think doing that helped me to get a good balance and variety of foods. Although I do like to cook from fresh we always keep some grab and go foods and some meals in the freezer because it's not realistic to believe I'm always going to have the time and inclination to cook.

In terms of the sugary cereal, I don't think there's anything wrong with having it at all - chocolate is not evil! I went from being someone who'd have a marsbar and crisps for breakfast to being a bit more healthy than that. I did it bit by bit again - started off eating a sugary cereal then day bay day reduced the cereal and increased the porridge oats, now I have maninly oats, bran and nuts with a sprinkling of the sweet stuff on top. So I still get the treat bit without the mid morning crash. It might be worth trying something like that with the small people incase a bowl of porridge is too much for them in one go (if they've never had it before).

A lot of the changes are subtle and that's the beauty of them, what seems like a grand gesture really is a series of tweaks. You'll get there don't stress!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:43 pm

The science bit is explained on the website, http://www.radiantrecovery.com/potato_qna.htm is the link for it
however alec has explained it really well.
Hopefully between the two explanations it will make sense to everyone.
I'm feeling far less tired today then I have been of late, how much of that is a true feeling and how much is wishful thinking I don't know, but hopefully I can act on it & do some stuff, as I always crash around mid morning so anything that isn't done by then gets left.
I'm hoping that everyone else who is trying it is also feeling more positive today & may it continue until we're all fighting fit.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:55 pm

Thanks for the link Rosie. I was on my phone before so didn't know if I made sense! Had a quick look for Vit C info and that is also needed for the metabolisation of tryptophan so it makes sense that it would be an important part of the diet, I mean it is anyway but it makes sense with everything else that's been said so far.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:04 pm

I'm just hoping that we all see some long term benefits of this. I've been so odd for so long now. I want to feel normal again & feel that I can start living. Other than meds I'll try virtually anything at the moment.
This seems to make so much sense.
As I'm on my own I don't cook or eat properly, so just the fact that you need to eat while following this advice will be good.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:31 pm

I've now fallen in love with the bedtime spud. Thank you for the link Rosie. It's bizarre to think that once I see the benefits of seretonin I won't want to give up my nightly spud. Do you know how long I have been having a hot chocolate before bed? The thinking is just so silly Rolling Eyes

Rosie, I'm keeping to the three meals a day without snacks. Keeping them high protein and low 'brown' carbs but eating a fair bit of veg and fruit as desert (hopefully sugar in fruit will mean I don't crash at day 4 too spectacularly). I know I'm still a couple of steps ahead of what I should be doing but I just can't eat like how I used to - I feel committed sooooo (probably destined to fail although I don't feel I will) Rolling Eyes

Also DH agrees I shouldn't just stop the sugar and thinks the nightly hot choc should be weaned off so i'll steadily reduce it. Also instead of before bed (hello spud Surprised ) i'll have the hot choc after evening meal.

This is two days into it now and any other program I have tried I have cheated or quit. I just can't go backwards and do what I was doing re: eating. I know you'll be thinking I'm going to be hurting in another 2 or 3 days and I know I am going too fast but I can't pull back. I've just got to go with it. I can always start again slower if it all goes boobies up.

Not looking forward to Tuesday/Wednesday - I don't do headaches very well (hopefully the fruit will help withdrawl)
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:48 pm

So had peanut butter on bread for breakfast and was full all morning. Just had cottage cheese, boiled eggs and cucumber with a smudge of salad cream and feel nicely full.
I am not attempting to wean off sugar but it has made me more mindful about how much sugar I do eat. I don't really like fruit (much of the texture makes me gag) which why I habitually reach for things like cake and biscuits for a snack.

For me this is a about dealing with anatole host of eating issues, too much sugar, too little whole grains, not eating enough nutrients in each meal and using food as an emotional crutch for boredom.

For the first time in a long time I am actually feel positive about things. Here's hoping it continues but baby steps all the way.
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

http://www.thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:37 am

Froogs, as long as you're eating something sugary, maybe still have white bread if that's what you're used to, then you may be ok.
I did the whole lot & didn't have anything at all. Just listen to your body.
Bitsy I think that it does make you more aware of what you eat, that in itself is probably a good thing, for most people.
I can't eat lunch though, as I'm too full from breakfast, because I'm a biggie, I'm to eat 40g of protein & it really fills me up. I'm not sure whether to reduce it a little, or go as she says & try to eat a small lunch. I've got a lamb dinner courtesy of Mum. I'll stick that in to warm in a minute.
Here's to a more positive bunch of people.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:45 am

Bitsy, Rosie I can't believe I haven't cheated or fallen off the wagon after two days. I think it all does stem from the feeling of being full - I don't need to pick on anything let alone rubbish.

Hopefully we can all wake up tomorrow, Monday morning and feel positive for the week ahead. We're changing our habits and because of that our mood will increase and then our weight will decrease. It is win-win huh? Sugar? What's that?! lol

Hope so anyway x
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:06 am

It's certainly filling. I've just had a lovely lamb shank dinner, a couple of roast potatoes & crushed baby ones, cabbage, beans & brocolli.
Very nice it was, I'm now going to have pudding, sorry guys, blackberry & apple crumble & custard. I have to eat some rubbish stuff, as I have a friend coming for the weekend & I have to have the energy to sort my house out, so can't afford to have a bad mid week.
This is going to be a good week.
I've got a Dr's appt tomorrow early for an annual review & to get the result of a diabetes blood test I had last week.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:41 pm

I hope the diabetes test results are encouraging Rosie, but if not you're on the right track to turn it around.

I woke up and was a little hungry, not starving like I must eat but enough for me to think I would like some breakfast. Day 3 for me. Tomorrow is meant to be the horrible day - if I've come off it all too quickly... hopefully my banana and grape eating after lunch and yoghurt after dinner will stop this. We will have to see.

I had porridge and know I didn't fully get my quota of protein but I'm not at all worried because I ate a healthy breakfast that I know will fill me. Sometimes you just can't eat 30g of protein for breakfast!

In myself I feel 'at one' and calm so I hope this is a reflection of what is happening. I told my friend that I walk up from school with what I was doing, she said she didn't eat much sugar anyway and got me thinking about when i thought I ate healthily - 4 slices of white bread for 2 ham salad sandwiches for lunch is healthy but it looks like I was craving the white bread. I didn't go into it with her but think I might if I get the results because she does suffer from really bad mood swings and a lot of down days.

I had my potato at 9pm last night. It felt so wrong but did it anyway. The first one I nuked for too long and burned, the smell is still around the house this morning.

Shopping arrives today so plenty for me eat that is high in protein... chicken, asparagus and cream cheese sauce tonight. DH is having a chip accompaniment and I either boiled pots or brown rice. Lunch probably peanut butter on toast with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and some fruit.

Have a good day x
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Morning, back from the Dr's diabetes test fine.
Breakfast is later than an hour after waking today as I didn't leave myself enough time, so I've got eggs boiling at the moment, I'm having the same as yesterday. Mixed beans, tuna & boiled eggs.
Like you and your friend I didn't have sugar in or on anything but I did eat chocolate a couple of times a week. Often if I had some I would "need" more.
Refined carbs are, or should I say were my downfall. That's probably true for most people.
I hope that everyone has a good day.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:42 pm

No way I was eating an hour after waking......DS woke at 5.30am Sad So up early, went to bed late, woken by cat wanting to go out at 3am so despite having my 2 eggs for breakfast I have just eaten 2 penguin biscuits and a packet of crisps. Bloody tiredness does it every time grrrrrrr.

Anyway not going to dwell on it, time to get moving and on with some jobs.

Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:58 pm

Well i was very good again this morning and had toast and peanut butter and am still not hungry (brekkie at 7.30 up at 7)
I am having leftover stew for lunch today and HM chicken curry for dinner tonight
i am feeling pretty chirpy and have got a lot done already today just got to hoover everywhere and I am done.
I think i will have to be organised with my food no more just grabbing things, i am finding i eat more when i have to do that and i think about food constantly when i am not organised.
I am going to sort out a journal today as well, thats the bit i am not looking forward too, being generally lazy Very Happy its just another thing for me to go urgh i dont want too!
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:29 pm

Bitsy Beans wrote:No way I was eating an hour after waking......DS woke at 5.30am Sad So up early, went to bed late, woken by cat wanting to go out at 3am so despite having my 2 eggs for breakfast I have just eaten 2 penguin biscuits and a packet of crisps. Bloody tiredness does it every time grrrrrrr.

Anyway not going to dwell on it, time to get moving and on with some jobs.

Bitsy you have done nothing wrong! You're right at the beginning of this and all you're meant to do is eat breakfast... you've had breakfast.

Nothing to dwell about Wink Hope you feel more positive for the rest of the day.

The journal part is annoying lollyfin (or rather the remembering to do it for me) but it's interesting to see how you feel at different times of the day - both physically and emotionally.
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:32 am

Just had lunch, pitta bread as the base fr cheese on toast with grilled bacon.
I want to stuff my face with rubbish.
I'm really really tired & so am going to bed for a couple of hours, I didn't sleep at all well last night, probably because I knew I had to go out today. Really rubbish.
Hopefully if I have a couple of hours then I'll get up & start to sort out my house for my friend coming at the weekend.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:11 pm

Breakfast was a bacon, potato, tomato, onion & cheese omelette made with 4 eggs. Ate half now & half left for lunch.
I even semi sorted out a cupboard while I was cooking it.
I'm feeling wide awake & pretty good, well good anyway.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:06 pm

I had toast and peanut butter again today. I am out of eggs at the mo.
I am going to have leftover stew and baked potato again today as i felt great yesterday afternoon, no snacking at 3, usually i start stuffing my face about then. I have no idea aboout dinner tonight tho but will not panic about that yet Very Happy
I baked 6 potatoes in the oven a couple of weeks ago when i was baking bread and put them in the freezer, it was a bit of an experiment as i wasnt sure how they would be but they were great. I just microed them from frozen and you wouldnt have known they had been frozen just like fresh out the oven. So i definately think i will do that again, next time i have my oven on i will do a lot more as they are very handy for this way of eating.
I am very chirpy today and slept well last night so Very Happy
My copy of potatoes not prozac arrived yesterday, it is very similar to the sugar addicts book I got for my kindle but I am going to read them both and get as much info as i can.
I am taking it slowly tho last nights dinner was chicken curry and i had white rice, not brown,i will not crash and burn even tho my brain is wanting to do everything at 100 mph, got to get a handle on this journalling first
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  fuddle Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:05 pm

I have read this thread with great interest. Well done everyone for taking the step and motivating yourselves to get better for yourself.

I have been doing something similar and only now having read your posts I can see what happened with my own body.

I wanted to eat for health and life not because I wanted to pig out. I was in a horrible spiral of eating for emotional comfort, yoyo dieting over the years. Of course non of it worked.

I decided that I was addicted to scoffing sugary stuff and I snapped one day not so long ago. I was fed up at this hold sweet stuff had over me and decided there and then, no more!! So I cut out sugary foods and added sugar to meals or snacks or drinks. This is the interesting bit though. I didn't have any withdrawl (I had tried Atkins in the past and suffered massive headaches with the lack of sugar) which I was expecting. It was at that point I looked into what I was eating more closely. I was then stuffing myself with white bread and white pasta. A savory substitute I guess. It wasn't till I really tried to understand what was in the foods I was eating and read up on how carbohydrates worked through high and low GI complex that I have now a decent diet of stuff that is healthy and what my body needs.

I always have multivits. Always have but also take something called 'Happy Days' of an evening. This is a seretonin booster apparently so I will read with great interest the potato before bed. These cost me about £10 a month.

I have to say that I don't eat anywhere near as much of protein as you guys are doing and I don't stick to 3 meals a day. I will eat when I am hungry but I am also learning to only eat until I am full, and eat slowly. Also it is only now where I can see weightloss. It has taken a little bit of time for me to wean myself off the dreaded bread. Stopping white bread and only having a little wholemeal bread was much more difficult than stopping the sugar for me. Also I never say never! If I am having lunch out and would like a piece of cake I will, If I feel like a glass of whine I will. I'm just pleased I have the eating to destruction under control now and know what a sugar rush is.

I think I belong on the weightloss thread really but I wanted to say to you all, stick with it. The protein is obviously fulling you all up to prevent the snacking and in the early days it's so hard to stop snacking.

Here's to healthier bodies and taking control xxxx
fuddle
fuddle

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:52 pm

Even though you haven't done the programme through the book, what you have done is very similar.
I've known for a long time that I have a problem with carbs but thought that it was probably a gluten intolerance.
I think that you're ahead of us as you listened to your body & worked out your own way of doing it.
Maybe a potato before bed would be helpful to you, it's going to be quite a while before I get to that stage as I'm taking it very slowly, so that I don't give up. I'm going to do it just as she says this time. However with the high protein I just don't want to eat the usual rubbish that I would have done last week. Yesterday had to go to the post office that has an instore bakery & I would normally buy a danish pastry & some warm crusty rolls. Yesterday I even got as far as putting them into the bags & then thinking, what are you doing, do you want it. I didn't so didn't buy it. That for me is incredible/ I've bought Xmas chocolates & put them in the loft so that I didn't eat them before Xmas, I've been known to get into the loft in the middle of the night for them. Not an easy task, as I used to put a stool on a chest of drawers in the middle of the room & climb up, but when I got thinking about them I would possibly have killed someone to get to them.
Already I'm feeling, probably more clear headed is the best way to describe it.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  Gintotmelinda Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:56 pm

hi all

This thread sounds good-might have a go. What do you recommend having for breakfast?

Have a good day all.

Gintot
Gintotmelinda
Gintotmelinda

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Welcome
Beans & eggs on toast
Omelette with bacon & cheese
Ham & cheese toasty
I'm not sure of there are many recipe suggestions on the website, http://www.radiantrecovery.com/
It would be a good idea to have a read throuygh the website to see what she's got to say if you haven't already.
Good luck
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:47 pm

Welcome fuddle and Gintot Very Happy

Fuddle it is my plan to wean myself off my sugar addiction and then work on the eating mindfully. The sugar undermines me everytime when I am eating mindfully so I thought it was best that I tackle this demon first.

No bread this morning and I wanted peanut butter SO I had a small bowl of cheerios but 2 boiled eggs for my protein. I don't think I can manage to eat the quantities of protein she was suggesting but I do feel less inclined to snack when I do make the effort to eat a little bit more.

Anyway care to share any fish recipes? I only eat tuna, cod and pollock (don't like other types Embarassed ) so does anyone have any really tasty recipes to share using these types??
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:09 pm

Gosh, we all seem to have been absent for most of the week.
I'm still carrying on, I feel far more energetic. Handy as my hovel needs to be presentable for my frend arriving later today.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next