homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'potatoes not prozac' support thread

+5
lollyfin
alec eiffel
Bitsy Beans
Rosie
froogs
9 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

'potatoes not prozac' support thread - Page 2 Empty Re: 'potatoes not prozac' support thread

Post  alec eiffel Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:11 pm

No need to be scared, it's only food - it has no power over you only the meanings you ascribe to it. You know what's healthy food and what's not, working on it meal by meal will get you there. It took me about 8 months to go from 3 sugars in my tea to none, I put about 3 grains less in each cup so I didn't notice. That's how the process works, it's not an overnight thing it's just taking it easy and not piling on the stress. You'll be fine.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

'potatoes not prozac' support thread - Page 2 Empty Re: 'potatoes not prozac' support thread

Post  Bitsy Beans Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:18 pm

So I prefer my own home made bread (white). I've never made any wholemeal bread in my life Shocked issue is wholemeal bread flour in Sainsbugs is £1.30 a bag Shocked Shocked Anyone know anywhere cheaper? Got most stores near me apart from Asda.
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

http://www.thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:20 pm

Bitsy Beans wrote:So I prefer my own home made bread (white). I've never made any wholemeal bread in my life Shocked issue is wholemeal bread flour in Sainsbugs is £1.30 a bag Shocked Shocked Anyone know anywhere cheaper? Got most stores near me apart from Asda.

I don't necessarily think you have to go the whole hog, if that's something you really like then why not stick with that and make the other changes you feel you want to make with the rest of your diet? Food is about enjoyment too, there's no need to punish yourself unnecessarily!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:42 pm

The final chapter is called 'reducing' sugars as well as eliminating.

All carbohydrates turn into sugar eventually (am I correct?) it's just making sure we eat to keep our sugar levels constant - white bread turn into sugar quicker than whole meal bread, not keeping you full up for as long - that is all and as long as we recognise what it is we eat and what it will do for us, what's the problem eh.

I will be having a couple of glasses of wine at the end of the month when our friends come to stay and will still be having my treat cheesecake on our 'every two month pub lunch Sunday lunch treat' I'm not going to say I'm never going to eat that again.... I will fail.

Other changes will compensate, old habits will fade and we'll feel better. x

Last edited by froogs on Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Lidl & probably Aldi do cheap bread flour, I can't remember if you said asda is the one you don't have but my Aunt buys her bread flour there as it's cheaper. I bought shed loads from Approved foods.
On this you don't cut out everything at once, it really does take months.
I'm going to look at the cheaper ways of getting protein, beans, lentils, seeds, I can't afford to eat meat at every meal.
Maybe get the wholemeal flour but do half and half with white to start with, cheaper & you won't notice the difference. I prefer wholemeal or granary & add a bit of extra protein into it with some cheese or seeds & nuts.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:50 pm

froogs wrote:The final chapter is called 'reducing' sugars as well as eliminating.

All carbohydrates turn into sugar eventually (am I correct?) it's just making sure we eat to keep our sugar levels constant - white bread turn into sugar quicker than whole meal bread, not keeping you full up for as long - that is all and as long as we recognise what it is we eat and what it will do for us, what's the problem eh.

I will be having a couple of glasses of wine at the end of the month when our friends come to stay and will still be having my treat cheesecake on our 'every two month pub lunch Sunday lunch treat'

Other changes will compensate, old habits with fade and we'll feel better. x

Refined carbs turn into sugar faster & don't have much nutritional value. They also send your blood sugar levels all over the place.
I must find my books, I'm sure that she says in one of them that having a pudding after a protein meal is fine as the protein slows down the effect of the sugars.
If you don't look at it as a diet, in the commonly held idea of a diet, rather as a new way of eating.
It really is to do with your mood & stabilising it more than losing weight. I'm certainly looking on it as, weight loss would be a healthy side effect of feeling better.
It's probably more of an old style of eating, meat, potatoes & veg. If you eat enough protein at each meal you don't feel hungry & reach for the biscuit tin or bar of chocolate.
If you look for other ways of eating protein then fish & meat, it will probably be cheaper than eating rubbish.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:12 pm

For lunch just now had:

jacket potato, cheese and beans
yoghurt
grapes

2 things... 1) very healthy, felt good about eating it and even better that I didn't have to watch portion control or think negatively about consuming cheese.
2) had the beginnings of a headache at 11.30ish, felt down and a little wobbly. I don't know if this just because I was hungry or if it had anything to do with sugar lulls but was really surprising to see something like that kick in quickly. I only had 12g of protein this morning with a bit more in my 1 slice of bread - not enough to sustain till 12 maybe?

I guess normally, without realising or thinking it is then that I would have dipped into the biscuit barrel etc

I am going extremely slowly, no doubt at all because I know this will work. If you look past the finer details of getting away from sugar and the process you have to go through to get away from habits and dependancy... what it's really doing is getting us back to eating for health.

I do like it because I can eat cheese, nuts and seeds (almighty healthy stuff!) without thinking that it's going to 'spoil my diet'

Health all the way with this.
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:07 am

Lidl only sell white bread flour. I think I will start making half and half loaves and take it from there. I do want to eat more whole grains which is why last time I went to Sainsbugs I bought wholewheat pasta and brown basmati rice but I do like a nice sandwich sometimes. I eat less bread when I make my own as it's way more filling than shop bought (even in store bakery bought too) so have toyed with a while about making my own wholemeal bread.

Definately needs to be a long term thing Smile
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

http://www.thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:39 am

I just checked on WebMD. Protein needs for an adult male are only 56g, another site I checked, I would need 70g per day...and I probably have the body weight of some adult males. 32g per meal sounds an awful lot, I'm not sure I would want to have the number of cals associated with that amount of protein food. I haven't read all about the food programme, so not in a position to comment properly though. Just an impression based on limited research.
PurpleIvy
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 am

PurpleIvy wrote:I just checked on WebMD. Protein needs for an adult male are only 56g, another site I checked, I would need 70g per day...and I probably have the body weight of some adult males. 32g per meal sounds an awful lot, I'm not sure I would want to have the number of cals associated with that amount of protein food. I haven't read all about the food programme, so not in a position to comment properly though. Just an impression based on limited research.

It's not a weight loss diet, it's for mood & to lift depression.
A by product is that you may lose weight doing it.
You may have more calories than normal through protein but lose loads of calories by eating properly & not eating cakes, crisps & biscuits. You will be full for much longer then normal.
For anyone suffering from depression, proper depression not fed up, anything is worth a try.
When I tried it my mood did start to stabilise, I'm bi-polar and my mood can virtually change by the hour, unfortunately I'd taken it too fast & had such bad withdrawal after a few days that I stopped.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:07 am

That is so why I want this to be a success... I originally became interested in the book because of my need to lose weight but when you read it you find yourself nodding at how you feel, all the time. I can't explain it.... I feel like I am not the person who I should be, I feel bogged down by feelings of frustration, of sadness, of lacklustre.

I suffer from anxiety episodes and panic attacks. I refuse to be medicated for it because I think it is something I can control, now I know it is something I can control because my sugar intake has been to blame this whole time.

I now have had all my three meals today. I have eaten until I feel full but believe it or not I don't feel like I have eaten anywhere near as much as I do when I pick. I'm tempted to go back and work out the calories I've consumed but I'm not going to because then it means that calories are important and they're not.

I will say I felt lost, sad and on edge this morning, this afternoon I feel calm and satisfied, full up and have not anted to snack at all throughout the day. Get over the 5 eggs you may need to consume to get your protein and it's not at all bad. I got my protein through beans, cheese and yoghurt at lunch and now through 2 small 100% aberdeen angus burgers - done.

If I put weight on (I don't feel bloated today) it won't matter at all right now because my focus has moved - it's about ridding these bad habits and improving my wellbeing. Weight loss will follow when I can relax into it..

I will say I am eating a lot at meal times as I don't trust myself with not sacking in between - I haven't felt the need too though so for now, it'll do.
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:17 am

Froogs, be careful, you've started doing the whole plan at once, as I did.
It's easy to think yeah, if one meal a day is going to make me feel better then 3 a day will make me feel 3 x better, 3 x faster, it probably won't.
Please don't set yourself up to fail. If you would have sugar in your coffee, chocolate or biscuits while watching telly, then do that. She keeps saying to take it 1 step at a time.
I've not had anything else today after breakfast, which is bad but I am sooooo full still.
I'm going to have a jacket potato with cheese & beans a bit later.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:49 am

Oh man! lol Have i? Thats what I get for reading pretty much all the book

Too fast? I was adament I was going to go slow. pale

I have haven't I? I've cut out the sugar completely today. Focused on bulking on up. It's too soon.

I should only be making sure I've eaten breakfast. I don't know what to do now though. How do I pull back. Eat breakfast and then just chill out, eat what I like? It's so hard isn't it, when all you want to do is get better, feel better.

I'm confused now, will sleep on it it and start again in the morning.

Rosie eat something sweetheart, the jacket potato cheese and beans works a treat Smile Thanks for the warning. I wasn't even aware I was going off at it all too quickly. I have a bit of a obsessive personality, I take an idea ad run with it, blinkered!

froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:00 am

froogs wrote:Oh man! lol Have i? Thats what I get for reading pretty much all the book

Too fast? I was adament I was going to go slow. pale

I have haven't I? I've cut out the sugar completely today. Focused on bulking on up. It's too soon.

I should only be making sure I've eaten breakfast. I don't know what to do now though. How do I pull back. Eat breakfast and then just chill out, eat what I like? It's so hard isn't it, when all you want to do is get better, feel better.

I'm confused now, will sleep on it it and start again in the morning.

Rosie eat something sweetheart, the jacket potato cheese and beans works a treat Smile Thanks for the warning. I wasn't even aware I was going off at it all too quickly. I have a bit of a obsessive personality, I take an idea ad run with it, blinkered!

That is exactly what I did before & I honestly felt really ill day 4 or 5. I felt as though I had flu. The first few days I felt great, whether some of that was because I felt that I had taken some control over my mental health or the programme was working I don't know.
Personally I would have something crappy tonight, white bread, biscuits or something.
I get really obsessive as well & so much want to feel better. It doesn't work like that.
Do slow down, just eat the breakfast and the other meals eat as you would normally, she says that this first part can take months to learn properly. Your body needs to get used to having breakfast & you need to get up & feel hungry mornings, as you would if you didn't eat for 12-14 hours during the day.
Also try & remember that if this works for you, you'll be eating this way for life. So unless you plan on dying in the next few months you should have time to adjust your bidy slowly to it.
It took a long time to get into bad eating habits.
My potato was microwaved until cooked & is now in the oven to develop a crusty skin & flavour. (I have this meal a couple of times a week, so it's not a complete change for me).
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:43 am

Rosie wrote:
PurpleIvy wrote:I just checked on WebMD. Protein needs for an adult male are only 56g, another site I checked, I would need 70g per day...and I probably have the body weight of some adult males. 32g per meal sounds an awful lot, I'm not sure I would want to have the number of cals associated with that amount of protein food. I haven't read all about the food programme, so not in a position to comment properly though. Just an impression based on limited research.

You may have more calories than normal through protein but lose loads of calories by eating properly & not eating cakes, crisps & biscuits. You will be full for much longer then normal.
For anyone suffering from depression, proper depression not fed up, anything is worth a try.
When I tried it my mood did start to stabilise, I'm bi-polar and my mood can virtually change by the hour, unfortunately I'd taken it too fast & had such bad withdrawal after a few days that I stopped.

I wrote a message and it seems to have disappeared!
I'm aware that this isn't a weight loss plan.

I do have 'proper' depression for some of the year in the form of Seasonal Affective Disorder. THis isn't being fed up, although I do get fed up that I have the condition. I take medication for 6 months a year, that makes me feel off colour, so to reduce the need would be great. It's a debilitating condition. In the past few years I've had up to 12 weeks off work. I'm gradually getting on top of it with coping strategies, medication and so on. I think unless I move abroad (within 30degrees of the equator is recommended) I'll always have to take some medication, but if I could use a lower dose it would be great.
PurpleIvy
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:44 am

enjoy your baked potato Smile

I'm off to warm some milk for a hot choc. You've put it into perfect perspective, ta muchly x
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:21 am

PurpleIvy wrote:
Rosie wrote:

I wrote a message and it seems to have disappeared!
I'm aware that this isn't a weight loss plan.

I do have 'proper' depression for some of the year in the form of Seasonal Affective Disorder. THis isn't being fed up, although I do get fed up that I have the condition. I take medication for 6 months a year, that makes me feel off colour, so to reduce the need would be great. It's a debilitating condition. In the past few years I've had up to 12 weeks off work. I'm gradually getting on top of it with coping strategies, medication and so on. I think unless I move abroad (within 30degrees of the equator is recommended) I'll always have to take some medication, but if I could use a lower dose it would be great.

Are there any dietary requirements that have been recommended to help your condition? Do you have to have large doses of vitamin C in the winter?
The extra protein may stop you binging on carbs, if you do that when you're not well.
Whenever I'm feeling down I eat rubbish, white toast with loads of butter, crisps, biscuits, sweets chocolate, never a meal. Nothing has any nutritional value, that makes me feel worse & so I eat more rubbish.
Hopefully if you decide to give this a try it will work for you and that it will mean that you can manage on a lower dose of meds.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:34 pm

A rather weird breakfast for me today, tinned mixed beans boiled eggs & still not enough protein so I added half a tin of tuna.
Although not a breakfast food it was what I fancied & I actually enjoyed it. Maybe because I was telling myself that I'm eating myself well.
I hope everyone has a good day.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:15 pm

morning I have read her sugar addiction book to the first rule (Ithink the rules are the same in all her books)
so brekkie for me is 2 slices seedy bread and peanut butter. I cant wait to start feeling better, i was reading the book when i was in the bath last night and i was sitting there crying. so many things made sense so hopefully no more crying and lots more feeling chirpy! Very Happy
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:16 pm

Morning Rosie and lollyfin Smile

It was bacon, eggs and toast for me and I still didn't feel like eating it.

I've been reading about having a potato before bed to help with seretonin delivery while you're asleep. I can't understand how or why to do that, just do it. I'm not happy about this, I want to know why, and in detail why I should do it. Maybe I have missed a bit of the book but it seems to me the pivitol part. Anyone know why I should have a baked potato before bed?

I feel a lot better in myself than I did yesterday morning - but also read about day 4 being nasty if you go too quickly which is what you were saying last night Rosie. Weaning is the key.
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:27 pm

I dont know about the science behind it yet because i havent got that far in the book
I think its got something to do with carbs making you sleepy and relaxed (maybe)!
once i have got to the bit, if its in this book, i will type all the sciency stuff out for you. I know what you mean about needing to know why I am the same. your brekkie sounded lovely, oh and for reference 2tbsp of peanut butter is loads i had 2 on each slice of toast and was swimming in the stuff Very Happy
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:39 pm

Thanks lollyfin, i'll re-read the section later too, to see if I've missed the sciency bit.

I'm a bit annoyed by her saying we should have vitamin C, vitamin B's and zinc but refusing to tell us why.... I'm not happy about it. If I'm trusting her and her methods... based on her doctorate too - I think she could write a paragraph saying why. She mentions it's because addicts will play around with medicines instead of addressing the problem but I don't appreciate that. I want to know why I should put them into my body and If my body needs added vitamins etc does that mean that this way of eating lacks something that my body needs?

I'm not doubting her or her methods because what she is saying makes absolute sense to me but I've a few niggles about lack of explanation with somethings, things I find important.

Still with it. Stocks are running low in the house so going to struggle for meals today. I love peanut butter too, it'll be on my shopping list.

froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:49 pm

Potatoes contain an amino acid called tryptophan, this metabolises into seratonin which helps to calm you down.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:05 pm

froogs wrote:Thanks lollyfin, i'll re-read the section later too, to see if I've missed the sciency bit.

I'm a bit annoyed by her saying we should have vitamin C, vitamin B's and zinc but refusing to tell us why.... I'm not happy about it. If I'm trusting her and her methods... based on her doctorate too - I think she could write a paragraph saying why. She mentions it's because addicts will play around with medicines instead of addressing the problem but I don't appreciate that. I want to know why I should put them into my body and If my body needs added vitamins etc does that mean that this way of eating lacks something that my body needs?

I'm not doubting her or her methods because what she is saying makes absolute sense to me but I've a few niggles about lack of explanation with somethings, things I find important.

Still with it. Stocks are running low in the house so going to struggle for meals today. I love peanut butter too, it'll be on my shopping list.

Zinc is important for protein synthesis, it helps with stress, the immune system and can be useful for people with diabetes as it helps with insulin control. Similarly B vits are good for reducing stress. B6 is something to do with seratonin production, Biotin helps control blood sugar levels, B1 creates the enzymes that deal with carbs and sugar. There are studies that link good levels of B12 (which is important for nerves and stuff) help the effects of anti depressants. Can't think of what extra benefits of Vit C might be -it's good to combine Vit C with iron as it helps the body absorb iron. I think it helps to convert amino acids to assist the CNS. And it's a great anti-oxidant.

I think zinc, Vit C and most B vits are all water soluble so you need to make sure you have them in your diet as they're not stored in your body for as long as fat soluble ones like Vit D.

HTH and is not too garbled.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:15 pm

oh perfect alec eiffel. Thank you.

Going to read up on tryptophan this afternoon too now, thanks. DH brought me some multi vits but it doesn't contain zinc. I'll get that in my shopping tomorrow as it looks like they will help too.

Aside from the quite hefty portions of protein we should be consuming, has anyone looking in on this read anything that sends alarm bells ringing? We're not doing anything that could be 'bad' for our bodies are we?

I would love my mind and mood to get better but if this is going to be determent to my physical health I would have to seriously think about stopping it.

froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next