homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pets dont you just love em

+17
MumofMany
marciared
Aisles
Pippajo
Bev@home
Rosie
Bitsy Beans
cat_smith
2boysmum
froogs
stiltwalker
TP
alec eiffel
life_in_termoil
Anne
flibsey
lollyfin
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Pets dont you just love em - Page 2 Empty Re: Pets dont you just love em

Post  lollyfin Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:37 pm

All your pets are adorable
I couldnt be without mine, they make me smile everyday Very Happy
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:36 pm

alec eiffel wrote:There's nothing finer than the unconditional love of a pet *looks at rabbits...nothing*
Are yours house rabbits?
There used to be someone locally who had a huge rabbit, & walked it every day like a dog, it was gorgeous.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:41 pm

I love conti giant rabbits.

Mine are indeed house rabbits, I don't really understand why someone would have a pet then make them live outside (unless it was a horse or something big). They are currently sat half way up the stairs glowering at me. It's a shame they don't like to be touched but it's due to their past. A cuddly bunny is great - lovely like a dog but not as heavy and their tongues are smaller which is good - our last rabbit loved to lick us and it got a little tiny bit annoying after the first hour!

My mum takes her cat for a walk on a lead...

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Pets dont you just love em - Page 2 Empty Trouble with my dog

Post  Bev@home Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi
I've got a year old cross Jack Russell and Spaniel and we are having some trouble with her. She is immensely lively and strong and doesn't always obey us (not that often in fact when we tell her to do something). My husband went to dog training with her, but it wasn't enough. Getting a bit stressed about it now talking about it actually - she eats cushions/washing/shoes when we are out of the house.
We do walk her - a decent walk at least once a day, can't let her off the lead at the moment though because if there is a 'distraction' like another dog, or bird or something she doesn't come back.
Think we just need to start the training all over again - maybe I should spend twenty minutes a day training her with ideas from a book.
Any help very much appreciated!

Bev@home

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:10 pm

My boy who I lost last year, there's a pic of him in a link further up was a springer x lakeland terrier, so a similar mix. I got him when he was coming up to 2 years old & he had been kept in a cupboard under the stairs as he was "too lively", probably because he was kept in the dark in solitary confinement.
Anyway he was manic, scarily so. Whenever he commited a misdemeanor, we used to say, Uh oh, he was so naughty that's what he thought he was called.
Unfortunately, for you, possibly, it was really only age that calmed him down. He was the most loving gorgeous dog but easily distracted. We were lucky that where we walked him was acres of woodland & river.
He wasn't destructive, except once he ate my new suite but I think it was an accident & it was quite funny. Just very lively.
Has she been spayed as that sometimes calms a bitch down?
Are you in the position to take her to an agility class or anything like that, as she'll have to think & she may be bored.
I don't like the idea of caging a dog, but have you considered caging her when you're out, at least she won't be able to destroy things.
Are you letting her be the leader of the pack, some dogs need to be made aware that they are lower down in the pecking order & need to obey you.
Not allowing her on furniture, letting you through a door first, anything like that to reinforce you as the boss, is supposed to help.
Can you take her somewhere to walk where she's safe from cars & nowhere near roads, preferably woodland. I've found with mine when I first get them, all rescued that they are more inclined to disappear if they're in a wide open space, where they can see you from miles away.
I have a westie now & when I got her the girl who'd been fostering her delivered her to me & she came to the woods with us. She's let her off the lead once & couldn't get her back, so she was a bit concerned when I let her off in the woods but she didn't go out of sight & never really has.
A good training school will be able to give you good tips on the best way to handle her.
sorry it's such a long post.

Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Pets dont you just love em - Page 2 Empty Thank you!

Post  Bev@home Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:19 am

Thank you for your advice - it is really helpful, thank you. We do have some woods near (ish) to us, and haven't tried them but will do.
As for caging, I don't really agree with it either - we compromise by shutting Lily in to the kitchen when we are out for a while. Trouble is we're in a semi-detached house, the kitchen is next to the other house, and the neighbour is by his own admission 'intolerant' of barking, so even when she only barks a little bit he gets very cross. In fact I think she only does ever bark a little bit.
In terms of pack leader, I think we haven't got that right either. She knows my husband and I are 'above' her, but I think she thinks she is the same as the children. We've just stopped, or are working at stopping her going on the furniture. (She does have her own bed too).
I think that from tomorrow I'll re-start basic dog training again, one other major issue with her is jumping up on people, and I think, though hate to admit to it, that none of our friends really like her as she is too full on, which is sad too.

Bev@home

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:03 am

Pets dont you just love em - Page 2 03912
Pets dont you just love em - Page 2 04010

hopefully you are looking at pics of my dogs
the one with the white face is clio
and the one with the black face is meg
they are scruffy little monsters but i love them
and am so pleased i finally managed to put pics up
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Thanks for the pics lollyfin, they are cute as buttons!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:58 pm

nice pictures lollyfin.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:48 pm

oh lollyfin those pics are lovely!!!

here's my piggie being a Peruvian Takeaway

Pets dont you just love em - Page 2 Pigbox1
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:06 am

Lovely pics everyone Smile

Can I just allow my killer cat a yahoo moment. She's finally learnt to use the cat flap. Here's hoping she learns not to wake me at 3am to be let out. And when I mean wake I mean knock over my bedside lamp because she's chewing it, or knock off my night cream, or crawl all over the clothes horse with clothes on it Wink
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

http://www.thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:44 pm

nicely done bitsy's cat!!!
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippajo Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:40 pm

Lovely pics! We lost our black Lab in the summer at 14, still hard to think about it but I can look at pics.

We do have an 18 month old Rottie cross - his Mum was Rottie/Sharpee (wrinkly dog) and his dad was Lab/dalmation. He's called Dave and is rottie coloured, lab temperament, Dalamation shape and a wrinkly nose! I'll have to try and upload a pic.

Bev - when Dave was little he used to eat the furniture and stress. I did some research and found out about separation anxiety. I got a plastic muzle that he could bark, drink etc in which was fitted by the pet shop. He only used to wear it if we went out and got confused if we tried to leave him without it - almost like a security blanket! This last week or two we have started leaving him without it, nothing eaten so far Pets dont you just love em - Page 2 3233753014

Pippajo

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:23 am

i noticed that there were advent calendars for dogs. Smile What sort of things do you buy your pets?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:12 am

TP wrote:i noticed that there were advent calendars for dogs. Smile What sort of things do you buy your pets?

vet care (another £41 today little furry bugger)... and bird-grade peanuts as a treat.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:19 am

I don't even want to think about how much we've spent on vet bills this year! We buy the buns willow balls and stuff like that as a treat but their main treat is a cardboard bottle carrier from the supermarket. They can't have shop bought foodie treats because they're prone to getting bunged up Rolling Eyes They do love a bit of toast though.

Can't wrap much of that up and give it to them for Christmas though. My mum wraps a carrot in newspaper for them but then again she is Mrs Bonkers.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Pets dont you just love em - Page 2 Empty Here's Garrett

Post  Aisles Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:02 am

Here is our Garrett the Carrot who wishes he was a parrot. He love's carrots and a loves to sit on the back off the sofa drapped around DH's neck. When he was tiny he used to try and sit on my shoulder like a parrot.

Pets dont you just love em - Page 2 IMGP0912 Baby Puppy

Pets dont you just love em - Page 2 IMGP0980-1 Trying to sing to us

Pets dont you just love em - Page 2 IMGP0966 Playing in the snow one of his favourite things

Pets dont you just love em - Page 2 SAM_0157 Stealing a kiss to distract me from sorting out a load of boxes of crafting stuff. My living room was covered in boxes as I was trying to organise a charity event.

He's 4stone of solid muscle, Irish Staffordshire Bull Terrier and he's a very excitable but submissive chap when it come's to people and other dogs.

He love's to meet people and other dogs but he's easily scared away as he's been attacked a couple of time's. So he's learnt a growl or snarl from another dog means he's to run away and hide or lie down and roll over into submission and he'll be left alone.

He scared of the Fox, next door's cats and the Stag over on the MOD land. He's been chased by the Stag and by the cats.

He's learnt lots of tricks and his two favourite treats are orange segments and plain yoghurt. Offer him either or a toy to play with and he's your friend for life.

You can't tell from the photo's but he has yellow/amber eyes.

He's as mad as a box of frogs Laughing Very Happy

Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:37 am

Awww aisles he's lovely Very Happy

My darling killer cat thought a dead mouse was the perfect cat toy this morning. Honestly the live ones are MUCH more fun. Still at least she relinquishes the dead ones Wink
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

http://www.thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:58 am

nice pictures aisles.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  marciared Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:00 pm

There was something on daytime TV yesterday about your pet winning a part on a soap opera.
marciared
marciared

Back to top Go down

Post  MumofMany Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:53 pm

I have four cats aged 12, 11, 5 and a kitten under 1. I also have a chicken (did have two but one died very recently).

We're also considering getting an older dog once our extension is finished as we'll have more room by then.
MumofMany
MumofMany

http://perfect-english-housewife.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  mollieblogs Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:40 am

I have one cat aged 14. She won't go outside at all during the winter.

I woke up this morning to find her in between OH and me with her head on the pillow purring very loudly. My husband said he thought it was me snoring Very Happy
mollieblogs
mollieblogs

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:01 am

I really want a small dog. a friend of mine just got the most adorable chihuahua cross yorkie and she's just soooooo cute. and surprisingly, not at all yappie!
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  pipling Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:34 pm

[img]Pets dont you just love em - Page 2 IMG_0003[/img]

This is Molly our Westie, she is 6 this year (this pic was taken about a year ago).
She is a very spoilt girl who loves to cuddle up to you on an evening and keep you warm.
She is a pretty lazy thing - because she has bad legs, long walks are out of the question. but she is very loving and loves to have her tummy tickled!

pipling
pipling

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:53 am

some super smart animals on TV last night. Very intelligent. Great programme. Second part tonight.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next