homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Superscrimpers Christmas programme

+3
dolly blue
stiltwalker
TP
7 posters

Go down

Superscrimpers Christmas programme Empty Superscrimpers Christmas programme

Post  TP Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:17 am

Channel 4 Wednesday night. Discuss here if you watch.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Superscrimpers Christmas programme Empty Re: Superscrimpers Christmas programme

Post  stiltwalker Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:38 am

oohhh Thanks TP, I like these sort of programmes - they make me feel like less of a wierdo as there is invariabley someone doing something even more 'careful' than me.

Mind you I am from the Yorkshire Dales so my idea of 'careful' may be a little skewed!
stiltwalker
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly blue Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:13 pm

This sounds interesting must remember to watch, bet it's on the same time as something else I want to watch
dolly blue
dolly blue

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:29 pm

Looking forward to it. I know lots of people were pretty harsh on the series when it was first on but I loved the way it was done with a smile - yes we've heard most of the tips before but like stiltwalker says it's nice to see people that do the same things as you on tv from time to time.

Dan says he hopes to learn more things to do with toilet roll tubes Wink

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:35 pm

dolly blue wrote:This sounds interesting must remember to watch, bet it's on the same time as something else I want to watch

its on at the same time as the royal variety performance. Thank-god for sky planners.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:50 pm

TP wrote:
dolly blue wrote:This sounds interesting must remember to watch, bet it's on the same time as something else I want to watch

its on at the same time as the royal variety performance. Thank-god for sky planners.

The Royal Variety Performance still goes on? Well I never!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:52 pm

yep and Peter Kay is hosting it even better.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:27 pm

Thanks for the heads up TP I can watch that while crocheting. Very Happy
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:09 pm

its also repeated on Friday morning on Channel 4.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:27 am

Mmmm that Irish cream looks good - this programme's not saving me money I'm going to have to buy whisky now as it's one of the few things I haven't got in the fally down cupboard! On the other hand I have to say only 4 meals from all that left over turkey???? I'd have made at least 6 or 7, and we are big eaters in this house.
stiltwalker
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:07 am

I can think of lots more meals to make with that turkey and I don't even eat meat.

I was suprised how much that woman spent on food and drink for christmas what a waste as I got the impression she would have been bining most of it.

Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:34 pm

I really enjoyed the show. Thought it was a nice balance and didn't play up to the "these people are bonkers" cliche too much. It was nice to have the catch up with a couple of the families featured on previous shows too. Lovely to see the couple with twins in their own home and making a go of things with their new family.

I was impressed with the £50 lunch, there was still plenty for everyone and they still had the choice of two meats and lots of veg. The meal looked really generous and I think if her guests were to do what guests usually do and bring a bottle, a box of chocolates or a pud then there would be precious little difference between that and what they had before. They said they preferred some of the changes which makes it worthwhile.

The Irish cream looked tempting as did the berry vodka. I thought the section with the leftover turkey was good, taking into consideration lots of people don't make anything at all with the leftovers, the 4 meals looked great and seemed to have loads of meat in each - so for people not used to using leftovers it really would be making something out of "nothing".

Yes, for frugal types it's nothing new - but I don't learn anything from lots of tv shows I watch, I still enjoy them!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:31 am

i didnt think alot of it the turkey was far too big to start with. Sad Nice Kipling mince pies can be bought 6 for a pound which isnt dear. I didnt like the cards she made. Cards arent dear especially if you buy them after Xmas. I cant say i particularly liked the candle holders she made out of tins either.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:15 am

I've seen those tea light holder's made with tin cans before but they were hand painted and on tins that didn't have the ridges and with the tea lights inside them they are so pretty. I think the one's on the programme were very simple and just a taster of an idea.

I missed the cards but then I do tend to make my own along with the tags. I think handmade says you've taken a bit more time and are just the bit more special than massed produced from the high street.

You can make them very cheaply or spend lots on making them by hand.

Recyling previous years received one's even into completely different new ones.
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:19 am

handmade yes but hers were not good. She had just cut the letters merry xmas out of a paper or whatever and stuck them on some white card. Id be embarrassed to send that and never would. I agree handmade cards can be nice though.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:21 am

I've seen lanterns made of of tins before and they're looked quite nice, I think it's all down to the setting - nothing going to look particularly glam sat on a kitchen worksurface! When they're outside with a bit of ribbon wrapped round them and a candle in, hung up or in with some foliage they can look pretty imo.

I think the thing with making mince pies, cards and stuff like that is not just the up front cost, it's about the enjoyment of making them too isn't it. Sure I could buy cards for a quid or so in the sale but it's nice to spend a bit of time making something. It's a hobby that means as well as having something original to send to someone I'm not out spending, I'm in the house making the most of things I already have.

I'm not saying it about this board but I am surprised and a bit annoyed at the "frugaller than thou" attitude of a lot of people this year. People are different and what's important to one of us might seem like madness to another. It's ok for it to be so! If I want to save all year and spend a grand at Christmas that's up to me, it doesn't mean I'm not frugal. It means I prioritise this time of year for whatever reason. Some people seem exceptionally judgemental this year, I think maybe it's jealousy... (fwiw, I don't spend that much on Christmas but I'm just making the point that some people seem to think it's ok to make assumptions about people whowant to spend money on something that they don't think is as important).

eta - cross posted with Aisles. So apologies for making pretty much the same points.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:29 am

TP wrote:handmade yes but hers were not good. She had just cut the letters merry xmas out of a paper or whatever and stuck them on some white card. Id be embarrassed to send that and never would. I agree handmade cards can be nice though.

Ohhhh I did miss that bit and they do sound a bit naff Shocked
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  marciared Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:08 pm

I found it patronising and it did not tell me anything I did not know. The Christmas cards look liked ransom notes. If you buy a smaller turkey you dont need to think of lots of leftovers.
marciared
marciared

Back to top Go down

Post  sunrisecards Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:28 am

I love programmes like this and like some others here I don't really learn that much but I love seeing what other people do with their money
hated the cards !!!! would never send those
quite liked the idea of the lanterns
cannot believe that woman spent £1400 on food and drink how can you possibly spend that much , I wonder how much she spent on presents

sunrisecards

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/sunrisecards/106821402675991

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:51 am

I was right, that homemade Irish cream is blinking marvellous - hic!! Made some to take up to my parent's for Christmas and have a nasty feeling OH is going to have to get some more whisky so I can make a second batch!
stiltwalker
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  sunrisecards Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:37 am

thats nice to know stiltwalker , I was thinking of trying that out next year, too late for this year as I've already bought hubby a bottle of Baileys

sunrisecards

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/sunrisecards/106821402675991

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down