homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Programme on Channel 4 Thursday night will you watch?

+5
MrsH
mesh
Aisles
alec eiffel
TP
9 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Programme on Channel 4 Thursday night will you watch? - Page 3 Empty Re: Programme on Channel 4 Thursday night will you watch?

Post  pipling Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:28 am

flibsey wrote:and who in their right mind, on a budget of £50 spends £12 on a glass bird?! some people will never and can never actually change lol.

This annoyed me as well. It reminds me of a distant cousin who constantly gloats via facebook about her champagne lifestyle, foreign holidays, designer clothes etc. yet is constantly asking and getting money from her parents for her 6 month old twins (eventhough her husband has a very good job.) yet can still find the cash to buy 2 new and very large tattoos in the last month alone. She is a grown woman and thinks getting hundreds of £'s each month from her parents is normal???

Some people don't understand priorities do they?
I know that if I was in the kind of position where I had to borrow money from family - A Tattoo or going to some exotic island would be far down my list of priorities!

Last edited by pipling on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
pipling
pipling

Back to top Go down

Programme on Channel 4 Thursday night will you watch? - Page 3 Empty Re: Programme on Channel 4 Thursday night will you watch?

Post  flibsey Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:29 am

TP wrote:my oh said they call the meat slimy yet they deal with their periods. LOL.

hahahaha, mine said "they should try a mooncup" lol. great minds think alike.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:25 pm

Shin of beef I believe you have to ask the butcher for that.

Yes you are right about the windscreen wipers.

It's best to pull back the windscreen wipers, use a mix of vinegar and washing up liquid in a warm water solution and a good clean cloth.

Then plenty of warm water rinsing, followed by drying the windscreen off with a good clean dry cloth. You should do the same to the windscreen wipers but be sure to do the rinsing and drying.
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:46 pm

pipling wrote:
Some people don't understand priorities do they?
I know that if I was in the kind of position where I had to borrow money from family - A Tattoo or going to some exotic island would be far down my list of priorities!

and this is why last year our week in norfolk was our first holiday since 2005.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:45 pm

More fools her parents for continually handing out monies to her. They are not seting a good example.

The saying, 'A fool and their money are quickly parted' come's to mind.

There's helping out your children and there's being a fool.

The girl will never learn and what happens when the 'Bank of Mum and Dad' runs out
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:00 pm

i wont watch tonight.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  marciared Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:16 pm

I did not see it either. Anything remotely good on there?
marciared
marciared

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:42 pm

I really enjoyed it last night.

The £50 challenge was for a couple to decorate their spare room. One of the superscrimpers visited and helped them to make some curtains and to upcycle a lamp, they asked around their family and were given an old wardrobe which they painted. They used old clothes to make a patchwork pillow and reused lots of things they'd had in other rooms and had stashed in the garage thinking they didn't want them anymore.

The other main feature was about cars, a class teaching people how to check their oil, washer fluid and stuff like that. I know nothing about cars so it was interesting even though it's not relevant to me at all. Then there were the usual other little tips and ideas. I think the tweaks they've made make it feel more balanced this series. I think it's improving.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:30 pm

On tonight.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:26 pm

The car bit made me laugh as I have a friend who I went to see who drives from Bedford to London and back every day. She mentioned her oil light had come on (not all cars have this light) and should she leave it to the service in a months time?

You should have seen my face when she asked.

Had she have left it even a day and driven up to london she would have drain the engine dry and blown a head gasket. ie very very expensive.

She'd never ever checked her oil level didn't know how to or what oil was required.

So I got her handbook out of her glove box found the bit that said which oil.

Showed her how to check the level with the dip stick.

Took her in my car to buy the correct engine oil came back and show her where to put the oil as we opened the oil cap there was a faint smell of burnt oil Shocked

We put in nearly the whole amount of oil it told us the engine should hold Shocked

She was very very lucky she now checks it every week just to be sure.
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:20 pm

I quite enjoyed it again last night.

I liked the section about tarting up old furniture. The reupholstery bit looked fun, it might not have looked like it'd been professionally done but it would certainly do the trick, looked loads better than before and looked like fun so that's all that matters imo. The patchwork seat covers were really fun too.

I know the furniture I've painted doesn't look a million dollars but I love it, it looks great in my house, saved me loads of cash and will do the job for the next few years. I feel really proud of myself every time I see the stuff I've done, who cares if it's not perfect?

One of my friends used to make a good living holding cosmetics parties, but it was pretty much a full time job and it took up most of her evenings. She's a real people person though so she loved getting out there and meeting new people, she said the parties weren't like working at all. But she gave it up when she had a baby - suited her single, responsibility free days but was really time consuming when she had a family.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:57 pm

pile of shit that programme. Rolling Eyes Very Happy
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:01 am

TP wrote:pile of shit that programme. Rolling Eyes Very Happy

But what do you really think? Laughing

Yeah it's cheesy, yeah there are no new tips but it makes me laugh how some people on MSE think those tips never existed before the Old Style board!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:14 am

I notice looking through the guide for next week there is another series on. It looks like money saving tips. I havent watched the last couple of this episode.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:00 pm

I have just watched the last episode.

There were two young women who spent a fortune on clothes and cosmetics, one of the scrimpers took them charity shopping. It made me laugh as they sounded so familiar. I had a very regular customer at the first charity shop I managed who was a total snob, she bought things multiple times a week but always asked for a bag from a different shop so she wasn't carrying our Age Concern bags around. I played along for quite a while, many theatrical winks and so on put all her stuff in a Selfridges bag and all that. One day a vol who wasn't "in the know" served her and when she asked for a different bag she gave her a Lidl bag. Her face was a picture! I had to hide in the sorting room because I was laughing so much!

eta - this lady was well into her 70's so not a young thing who wasn't used to the era of thrift!

Last edited by alec eiffel on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding stuff)

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:29 pm

nice one ........

i once bought a pair of trousers from a charity shop they were a good buy looked new etc. Anyway when i got to the till the lady said no-one will ever know. I didnt know how to take that as does it matter if anyone did????????????? thought about that comment for ages afterwards.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:39 pm

One of my vols used to say that to people, I asked her why and she said she only said to people who looked like they didn't usually come into charity shops! Mind you, you could set your watch by some of our regulars so maybe she had a point!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:36 am

Interesting. I still think you should just be served without comments tho as its hard to know what people mean.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:43 am

I understand that but I think part of the issue is that many volunteers work on the shop floor as a social thing as much as anything else (in my experience anyway) and want to say something but because they're just saying what they'd say to a friend if they saw something great quality that's second hand (I know I say stuff like that) or because they word things awkwardly or they just wanted to say something as small talk.

I think you've hit the nail on the head about the difficulty of charity shops, they straddle the formal/informal line. Yes they're businesses and are run along professional lines but volunteers don't go on customer care training courses and occasionally say something clumsy. Tbh, I'd rather have that than the rude staff in some high street shops where you're basically ignored as you're served. But that's just me.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3