homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Programme on Channel 4 Thursday night will you watch?

+5
MrsH
mesh
Aisles
alec eiffel
TP
9 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Programme on Channel 4 Thursday night will you watch? - Page 2 Empty Re: Programme on Channel 4 Thursday night will you watch?

Post  TP Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:56 pm

There is another one next week folks.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Programme on Channel 4 Thursday night will you watch? - Page 2 Empty Re: Programme on Channel 4 Thursday night will you watch?

Post  Aisles Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:32 pm

People hunt and eat what they've shot all the time in the UK and in fact through out the world wide deer, game birds, pigeons and rabbits. Some go rabbiting with ferrits or terriers.

People fish in our rivers and eat the fish.

With road kill ie a rabbit or deer you are not allowed to profit if you've hit it and killed it ie you can't claim the dead animal for yourself. However the next car or person that come's along may by law claim the animal to eat. Deer must be hung just like game birds require 'hanging' before you eat them. ie they are left hung up for a couple of weeks before you cook and eat it.

Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:34 pm

tonight.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:35 pm

Thanks, Dan has put it on to record for me.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:02 am

loose that hat! Very Happy
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:28 am

I love her hat! I used to wear an orange hat all the time - I'd meet people and they'd say "oh I saw you in town today, I could tell from the orange head!", lol.

We watched it last night, an hour was a bit much for us and we were flagging a bit by the end!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:38 am

I hate anything on my head except my hair! Not really a hat fan in general. I watched the programme today and some of the tips are common sense, some are good. I didnt know about fruit nets as scourers not sure if i shall ever need to use that one but you never know. I noticed my town was on it when they went to the nail shop.

Re the food shopping. I dont think pizza for tea is a very filling dinner more like a snack, think they could have done better than that. They must have been starving later on lol. Also if they dont want boring sausages they should come and visit us and get some quality sausages marinated. Sausages deffo do not have to be boring.

Next week about meat I see Wink
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:11 am

Oh I love a good hat! Always used to wear one, used to have a collection of about 30 or so. Now I just have 2 or 3 faves and I'm not quite so welded to a hat as I was in my teens and early 20's. It's one of the best things about a wedding invite - I get to buy or make a new hat or fascinator. It may be the only truly girly thing about me!

Wasn't struck on those nails though, they just looked a bit tacky to me, mind you I don't do nail varnish so it is a bit of an alien concept to me.
stiltwalker
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:15 pm

I wear a hat every time I leave the house. Generally just a knitted jobby these days as it's always breezy here, less chance of them blowing off than a fancy one with a brim for the wind to take hold of!

I used to read the blog of the woman who gave the fruit nets as scourers tip, but I stopped when I saw here on that. Maybe I'm just contrary but I prefer to read blogs of people just plugging away and getting on with things not those with tv and media ambitions. Had her blog been mindblowing and chock full of things I'd never heard before maybe I'd feel differently but it's not, so I don't Smile

We have pizza for tea at the weekend, I do find them filling, they've got a bit of everything - nice dollop of carbs with the base, veg and protein from the cheese/meat.

I think people are a little hard on folks like the family featured this week. If someone came here, or to MSE saying they were spending £200 a week on food and chucking loads of it away I don't think people would be harsh at all. Everyone always says it's about doing things gradually rather than trying to cut too much too quickly but then these families are on tv and people have a go because they spend £50 for their evening meals.

When we had the lightbulb moment I know we didn't go from £600 a month to £90 (which we ended up spending for a couple of years in the mid noughties when food was cheap!) in one go. It took ages to get that low. It's all a learning process. What is "common knowledge" to people who have been frugal for ages is a new tip to all of us at some point! Rambling off the point there a bit Rolling Eyes

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  marciared Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:52 am

All that food waste was sick!

Regarding cleaning with old pants around the house what if someone knocks the door!
marciared
marciared

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:24 am

marciared wrote:All that food waste was sick!

Regarding cleaning with old pants around the house what if someone knocks the door!

I totally agree about the food waste.

I use old cut up T-Shirts also cut up jeans for oily rags I keep in the car for regularly checking my engine oil level.
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:42 am

tonight.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:16 pm

I enjoyed it more this week than any of the previous shows.

The house swap thing was interesting, I've seen a show on the travel channel all about house swapping and it made me curious as the people swapped with someone in the States and they ended up visiting Taliesin which is somewhere I'd love to go. We might get some takers too as we're on the coast, the house is in a quiet area and all that stuff - it would be especially good for a golfer as we're within walking distance of 2 courses. Might be something to bear in mind for the future.

I enjoyed the more consumer type aspects of the show this week, talking about credit ratings and the pay tv thing. It seemed more rounded and not just "bonkers women wearing pinnies".

Did anyone else watch this week?

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:47 pm

oh honestly no-one buys cuts of meat like that these days and you would be hard pushed to find it anywhere? Where do they get their prices for the meat from too?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:29 pm

Wouldn't have a clue about the price of meat tbh. I've never eaten lamb in my life but that looked quite nice, mother loves liver and shin beef or any other cut that can be cooked for ages. I think even if the prices are exaggerated for tv the principle is still good that the cheaper cuts can be just as nice.

I know I'm in the minority as the "frugaller than thou" types like to polish their halo while watching this show but I remember when we were starting off these tips would have been great for us. I loved the Alvin Hall show about 10 years ago. I learned a lot from him even though lots of it was "common sense".

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:46 pm

I missed it as was taken out for a meal by 'Adoptive daughter and her partner'

I will see if I can watch it on catch up tv Very Happy

I'm not sure how much meat costs now as I havn't eaten meat for over 20years. DH hardly eats meat either but occassionally he'll bring something home that last for ages made into lots of differents meals for him. Laughing

I've watched home holiday swops before like already mentioned on a travel/holiday programme. It's something I'd never want to do as you never know what the other family will be up to in your home. I certiantly wouldn't advise it if you have animals of any kind/pets as you have no idea how well they'll be looked after.

The one I used to watch even swopt cars good grief I'd never allow any one to drive my car. Shocked
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:02 pm

Watching it now and was amazed that woman with the coffee. It you want to keep your coffee dry don't put a wet spoon in it also don't put it into one of these tins as they are never air tight. Leave your coffee in the screw top jar it came in or put it into a nice clean screw top jar. DOH

Last edited by Aisles on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:04 pm

The weather has to be good for a holiday swap in this country if you want cheap things to do when your there.

There is the cost of the petrol too.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:07 pm

Were we to swap we'd go abroad. We have mates all over the UK and Ireland so we'd just see about staying with them if we were in their area. I wouldn't unleash the rabbits on any poor unsuspecting houseswapper though, I wouldn't want them to be bitten and traumatised by the end of the holiday! They'd have to go to a bunny hotel I think.

We don't buy instant coffee so I must have tuned out when the coffee tip came on as I don't recall seeing that.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:20 pm

Whatever you do people don't use washing up liquid in your car locks to stop them freezing up or geting stiff.

Washing up liquid is water soluable and a fat/grease remover.

So in the long run the washing up liquid will dissolve in moister that's in the air and will stripe all lubrication from your locks.

Use a light penitrating oil or wd40.

If it's stock due to ice use a hair drier on the lock and all around your car door frame this will melt the ice and you'll be able to open your car doors and any iced moisture in the lock will be dried out.

Last edited by Aisles on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:25 pm

we have never done that but thanks for the tip.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:38 pm

We house swapped for years when I was a kid. It was the days before the internet and we used to love getting the letters from folk wanting to swap with us. There was the still mentioned time we got an offer from a family in Denmark who had 'geeses at the backside of their house!'
We always put the rabbit and guinea pigs in the local small animal 'hotel' (upstairs in the shop they came from) but once had to look after a pair of dwarf lops in an Amsterdam suburb call schuffy and snooffy (phonetic spelling).
It was fantastic for us as both my parents were teachers so we had the whole school hols to go at but we didn't have a lot of spare money as it was all sunk into mortgage payments, avcs and other sensible stuff so now they have a well earned comfortable retirement. So swapping meant we spent 3 weeks away most summers, 5 1/2 weeks the year we went to San Francisco. We also had a couple of shorter swaps in the UK at Easter and half terms. We'd do it like a shot but we rent and not sure how our landlord/letting agent would react to the idea.

Couple of interesting ideas as usual but I'd have made that shin beef go twice as far by adding a good huggin of veg to the stew (plus it ups the OH's slightly reluctant intake!) Still wish I could get him t eat offal as I love it, nothing to o with frugality as I'm just as happy with veggie. Have even managed to get my mainly carnivorous OH to enjoy 3 or occasionally even 4 veggie meals a week by making sure they are good and tasty.
stiltwalker
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:15 am

1. the holiday didn't factor in the transport costs. and who in their right mind, on a budget of £50 spends £12 on a glass bird?! some people will never and can never actually change lol.
2. it was 2 nights. to me that's just a weekend away, not a full on holiday.
3. I do not like cooking kidneys. I will eat them, but do not like cooking them. liver I can't get my family to eat. I have tried.
4. where the hell did they find shin of beef?!
5. did you notice the disclaimer on the lipbalm section? "do not use recipe if allergic to nuts" no sh!t sherlock!
6. I would be worried about the sodium content of washing up liquid as well as the other stuff mentioned by aisles.
7. is meths ok on laminated windscreens?! and doesn't it degrade the rubber on the wipers?

finally we eat more veg now, less meat. we still have meat, just not as much.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:21 am

my oh said they call the meat slimy yet they deal with their periods. LOL.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:22 am

flibsey wrote:1. the holiday didn't factor in the transport costs. and who in their right mind, on a budget of £50 spends £12 on a glass bird?! some people will never and can never actually change lol.
2. it was 2 nights. to me that's just a weekend away, not a full on holiday.
3. I do not like cooking kidneys. I will eat them, but do not like cooking them. liver I can't get my family to eat. I have tried.
4. where the hell did they find shin of beef?!
5. did you notice the disclaimer on the lipbalm section? "do not use recipe if allergic to nuts" no sh!t sherlock!
6. I would be worried about the sodium content of washing up liquid as well as the other stuff mentioned by aisles.
7. is meths ok on laminated windscreens?! and doesn't it degrade the rubber on the wipers?

finally we eat more veg now, less meat. we still have meat, just not as much.

shin of beef i agree. People dont ask for these things these days i should know lol.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next