homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Those Tips - Which Work For You?

5 posters

Go down

All Those Tips - Which Work For You? Empty All Those Tips - Which Work For You?

Post  alec eiffel Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:39 pm

And which don't?

There are loads of frugal and homemaking tips flying about. Which have you tried and loves and which are just not for you at all? We've tried lots of the tried and tested tips over the years some have stuck some have been a fail.

What works for me - the flylady tips of filling the sink with hot soapy water when cooking to make washing up easier (I don't have a dishwasher), swish and swiping the bathroom every day. Using bars of soap and shampoo bars costs us less than liquid shampoo and soaps.

What doesn't work - buying cheap stuff, it just makes us feel deprived, I'd rather have less of things and really enjoy them/get my wear out of them. Watering things down - I just end up using more! I buy a cleaning liquid I really like but use it sparingly because it wasn't cheap. Writing lists, I love doing it but they don't help me to actually get anything done Laughing

For me it's all about the psychology, I'm obviously a simpleton!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

All Those Tips - Which Work For You? Empty Re: All Those Tips - Which Work For You?

Post  life_in_termoil Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:22 pm

A tip that worked for me is doing things in 20 minute slots! I set my online egg timer and off I go, then when the timer goes off I stop for 10 mins then carry on. (Except this week as ive had no motivation!)

Another tip was when sorting out cupboards/drawers do 1 at a time and not pull everything out of every single cupboard/drawer in the kitchen/lounge/bedroom.

life_in_termoil
life_in_termoil

Back to top Go down

All Those Tips - Which Work For You? Empty Re: All Those Tips - Which Work For You?

Post  froogs Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:00 pm

A tip that didn'twork for me was laundry gloop.

I found it washed ok but blocked my washing machine Embarassed DH had to unblock the pipe to get it going again.
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:03 pm

yikes!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:13 pm

Glad you said that froogs i have been swithering about doing the HM powder or gloop think it will def be the powder now!
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:47 pm

lollyfin wrote:Glad you said that froogs i have been swithering about doing the HM powder or gloop think it will def be the powder now!

I don't think it's stuff for cooler washes lollyfin. If I washed on 50 or 60 it would probably work but colder washes didn't melt the 'gloop' It was just sat in the pipe Embarassed

The clothes were clean though so it is very annoying. I haven't heard of HM powder. How do you do that?
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:52 pm

I've been thinking of making some gloop but thought that with the amount of washing I do it probably wouldn't be worth it.
I generally use the 99p shop liquid, I use half the recommended dose & savers fabric conditioner. A bottle lasts weeks & weeks, probably months.
I don't like powder anymore as I tend to use 30 degree wash so it doesn't dissolve.
I'm glad that you said the gloop blocked your pipes, I won't bother with that now.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down