homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

keeping warm without putting the heating on

+14
PurpleIvy
helen jelly
dolly blue
appletree
knitmylife
mesh
life_in_termoil
SilverBird
juliapenguin
stiltwalker
TP
alec eiffel
lollyfin
froogs
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

keeping warm without putting the heating on - Page 2 Empty Re: keeping warm without putting the heating on

Post  appletree Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:03 pm

We haven't put our heating on yet though will do once the kids start moaning its cold. We have fleece blankets on the sofas so they enjoy covering themselves up in those. All the curtains are lined and they get drawn early on to keep the heat in. When it gets colder we'll bring out the hot water bottles. If we use the oven we'll leave the door open when its turned off to cool down and it also heats the kitchen. I just LOVE candles too when its dark and cold, find them really comforting to look at a flickering light, seems to make the place "feel" warmer, is psychological I guess, also is having something in the slow cooker, think if you can "smell" something hearty cooking you "feel" warmer too, or maybe its just me and I'm strange Laughing
appletree
appletree

Back to top Go down

keeping warm without putting the heating on - Page 2 Empty Re: keeping warm without putting the heating on

Post  TP Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:41 am

i like candles but had an accident once and burnt the carpet so a bit wary.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly blue Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:11 am

Did fire up the log burner last night, OH was moaning he was cold, he's still waring shorts, not putting the central heating on until he puts trousers on.
dolly blue
dolly blue

Back to top Go down

Post  appletree Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:34 am

I would love a log burner or open fire but its just not possible here. Only candles we use really are tea lights, its nice to see a flickering flame. My DD aged 10 is the same she walks round in little skimpy things or her underwear and moans its cold Rolling Eyes I tell her to put some clothes on! Brought her some nice fleece pjs from primark which she is loving at the moment.
appletree
appletree

Back to top Go down

Post  helen jelly Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:51 am

I gave in and put the heating on tonight - it was 15c inside and even DH was cold - we were already in jumpers etc. I don't mind being cold but I'm not freezing!!! Heating was on for about an hour and that was more than enough - I've left the thermostat at 16 so it will kick in when it gets too cold. No heating on upstairs as we go straight to bed and we still have the summer quilt on although that might be changed!! DH is like a radiator at night [nearly called him hot but as he's in bed now after drinking a bottle of wine and some beers "hot" he isn't!!] Very Happy

Tomorrow is due to be quite cold but as we're planning to go to the lottie for the day I'm not in the house to feel the cold but I think it will go on tomorrow evening to take the chill off.

I'm menopausal so I'm either chucking off clothes as I'm too hot or I'm reaching for my jumpers as I'm too cold - what a performance! Rolling Eyes

Helen x
helen jelly
helen jelly

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:26 pm

We put the underfloor on in the back of the house, too cold to sit, didn't even get up to 20C with a little bit of sun and later on it was cold. The only room in the front of the house that is used at the moment is our bedroom, which was chilly, but fine once in bed. I think we may be having that on for an hour in the morning and night before too long.
PurpleIvy
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:59 pm

i woke up today a little cold for the first time. Next week this time i should be basking in high temps. It was 91 yesterday where i am going Very Happy
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:17 am

Keeping warm? now the underfloor is on I'm here cleaning in a vest top as I'm too warm. Trouble is, it takes a long time to warm up and cool down, so stuck with it if we want to be warm this evening!
PurpleIvy
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:23 am

I dont think there is any way in this weather apart from the heating and the fire its so cold if you turn it off. I hate the way its on for for so long. Does anyone know is it cheaper to have gas on or electricity or does it depend on your own individual set up?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:43 am

TP wrote:I dont think there is any way in this weather apart from the heating and the fire its so cold if you turn it off. I hate the way its on for for so long. Does anyone know is it cheaper to have gas on or electricity or does it depend on your own individual set up?

I've had ecomony 7 electric heating before and it's very expensive even though it's on two different tarrif's ie 2 phrase. Also it's very uncontrollable ie it's either on or off bascially. It take's all night to heat up and then release's the heat slowly the next day.

We have a gas central heating on a combination boiler with the correct size radiator's that each has a adjustable control on if you like one room to be a bit warmer than another.

It's easy to set and has a lovely frost seting for when we go away so we don't come back to unexpected frozened pipes and a damp smelling house. We do have extra loft insulation as well as loft flooring so heat can't escape from the roof (hot air rises).

We've alway found Gas Central Heating when set up properly for you room size' with the correct size/type boiler and radiator's to be far far cheaper and easier to control/adjust.

We also have the open fire but since the we put in the gch at this property we've never needed to use the real fire to supplement the central heating.
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  pipling Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:28 pm

I've just discovered the joy of a slanket Wink . Not the most of attractive of attire I'll admit, but it is so cosy and warm with the hood up, especially in my draughty corner where I like to sit on an evening.
pipling
pipling

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:34 pm

pipling wrote:I've just discovered the joy of a slanket Wink . Not the most of attractive of attire I'll admit, but it is so cosy and warm with the hood up, especially in my draughty corner where I like to sit on an evening.

The first time we saw an advert for a Slanket Dan just looked at me and said "no!" Laughing I remembered the strength of his feeling when ponchos were in fashion and so now see slankets as indoor ponchos. I can see why people like them though.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:53 am

saw them advertised for wearing on planes. Oh and i had a good laugh imagine wearing it on a plane you would be too hot and it would be in the way. You would be tripping up down the aisle.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  pipling Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:12 pm

I couldn't imagine wearing it on a plane Shocked, mine is massive and far too long to walk around in.
pipling
pipling

Back to top Go down

Post  bildanto Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:13 am

Another person here who can recommend the slanket, I am always cold and since getting one feel much better in the day when the heating isn't on but I agree it is far longer than I had thought. We have no gas but had oil installed a few years ago and a coal fire, oil isn't cheap but at least there are no nasty surprises with a big heating bill each quarter and we don't seem to use much at all. I put hot water bottles in the beds on really cold nights as I hate the heating on in the bedroom whilst I sleep.
bildanto
bildanto

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:58 pm

first day for ages today i havent had the fire on.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  bildanto Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:00 am

I have an open fire, and haven't lit it, first time in ages, usually by now it is lit and have even got the back door open and I am always feeling the cold so there is definitely a change in the air. Might even be able to get a line of washing dry.
bildanto
bildanto

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:58 am

I am still having the damn fire on in April I wish i was not.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:08 pm

The temperature has really dropped overnight hasn't it. It's pretty windy today but not too cold and in the afternoons it's been warm and sunny. We have had an extra blanket on the bed though. Dan had to get up early this morning as he's off to a meeting elsewhere so he had a quick blast of heating when he got up.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:36 pm

DH found a thin layer of ice on his car yesterday morning.

The wind is up but thankfully it's nice a warm indoors. I just remember to put on a pair of fluffy thick socks or sport socks so I don't get cold feet and in the evening I'm poping a pair of thick leggings on under my longer skirt.

We have the Central Heating on but not on as high a couple of months ago.
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:53 pm

ICE Shocked
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  pipling Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:00 pm

It was really windy here yesterday, all DDs garden toys have been blown down the garden!

Its quite cold here and has been bucketing down with rain this morning. Still wearing my Skanket on an evening, but trying not to have the heating on much.
pipling
pipling

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:06 pm

April showers here.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:12 pm

Same here April Shower's one minute it's extremely dark and raining cats and dogs and then we get a few minute's of brilliant sunshine.

It's gone black again so expecting the next downpour.
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly blue Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:02 am

Will need to get some more logs in! still lighting the logburner at night
dolly blue
dolly blue

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next