homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wool v Feather/Down Duvets and keeping warm in bed in the winter.....

+3
alec eiffel
lollyfin
mesh
7 posters

Go down

Wool v Feather/Down Duvets and keeping warm in bed in the winter..... Empty Wool v Feather/Down Duvets and keeping warm in bed in the winter.....

Post  mesh Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:40 am

Hello mateys

Hope you can help me out with some advice?

I need to buy a new duvet and would like to know if a wool duvet is better than feather/down? I need a duvet which is quite warm (13.5 tog) cos I feel the cold.

I intend to use my old duvet as a mattress topper and I also have a quilted throw to keep my toes toasty.

So, anyone use a wool duvet and is it better than feather/down? :?:
mesh
mesh

Back to top Go down

Wool v Feather/Down Duvets and keeping warm in bed in the winter..... Empty Re: Wool v Feather/Down Duvets and keeping warm in bed in the winter.....

Post  lollyfin Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:25 am

I havent had feather/down since i was a kid because I remember all the feathers falling to the bottom during the night and having to shake them up when it got cold but i think things must have got a lot better as my folks have just bought a new feather/down quilt and have been raving about it ever since
I find I get quite cold in the winter when OH is away (hes my portable hotwater bottle Very Happy ) but something that helps is putting a pillow at my back, think it stops the draught or might just make me think hes there when im sleeping Embarassed oh and two big throws help too
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Wool v Feather/Down Duvets and keeping warm in bed in the winter..... Empty Re: Wool v Feather/Down Duvets and keeping warm in bed in the winter.....

Post  alec eiffel Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:22 am

We only use hollowfibre as we don't use feather, silk or anything like that.

We don't heat our bedroom though and last winter we had the mattress topper (gorgeous, worth every penny) with a normal sheet. On top of us we had a flannel sheet then a duvet with high thread count cover - really warm and when it was very cold an alpaca blanket on top of that. We have a double bed but kingsize bedding so we can always tuck ourselves in properly so we don't get the corridor of ice between us in the middle of the night!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:51 am

LOL I'm not the one to ask, I use a summer weight cotton lightweight duvet most of the year, the rest I just use a duvet cover. Hub has a separate one as he feels the cold more.
PurpleIvy
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  life_in_termoil Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:51 am

Ive got a 15 tog feather duvet, the feathers dont all clump together as they are all in "pockets" Ive washed and dried it several times and its still in good nick and keeps me lovely and toasty warm (although I do wear bed socks in the winter as I just have to have my feet sticking out the bottom of the duvet! and im too tight to have the heating on in the bedroom as I have to have the window open).
life_in_termoil
life_in_termoil

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Over on MSE probably last winter there was a similar discussion, everyone who had a wool quilt said that they would never go back to a feather or synthetic one.
Apparently the wool ones are far lighter & nicer to sleep under.
I've been eyeing them up but are very expensive, Dunelm Mill ages ago had a super king reduced to a silly price, about £30 stupidly I thought about the fact that I'd have to buy new covers & didn't buy it. Having read the thread on MSE I wish I'd taken the plunge.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:07 am

ive learnt something new here i didnt know the wool ones were around. Ive always had the other type. :face:
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  mesh Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:50 pm

hello all,

ta for your responses..... research says that wool duvets tend to smell rather strongly of chemicals (must be the cleaner/bug killer which they use) but they regulate to your body heat. Think I will go with the goose feather/down option and get a high tog rating.

well thats me off to order one.....
mesh
mesh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down