homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Books on Moneysaving, Moneymaking, managing money etc

+3
Bitsy Beans
alec eiffel
TP
7 posters

Go down

Books on Moneysaving, Moneymaking, managing money etc Empty Books on Moneysaving, Moneymaking, managing money etc

Post  TP Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:29 pm

I have just been to the library and saw books on the above Alvin Hall was one that stuck out. There were also books on thrift and managing debt. Does anyone ever read books like this and if so which ones? Do you buy them or get them from the library.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Books on Moneysaving, Moneymaking, managing money etc Empty Re: Books on Moneysaving, Moneymaking, managing money etc

Post  alec eiffel Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:36 pm

I love Alvin Hall. When we were getting our act together I bought "Your Money Or Your Life" and it was the best thing I could have bought. He makes things seem so easy and straightforward. I recommend that to everyone, in fact I gave it to one of my best friends he went through it then passed it on to one of his friends - who knows where it is now!

I've never really got on with thrift type books, they always seem to just be the same tips you can pick up for free on any forum. I do have the "Trade Secrets" books though, while they're not all about money saving there are some great money saving and house-wiffery tips in there. for books with lots of tips in that I'm likely to refer to time and again I like to buy them, for a one off read then I'll borrow them from a friend or from the library.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Books on Moneysaving, Moneymaking, managing money etc Empty Re: Books on Moneysaving, Moneymaking, managing money etc

Post  Bitsy Beans Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:43 pm

I haven the complete Tighwad Gazette although I loved reading it I can't say I really used many of her ideas Embarassed
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

http://www.thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:07 pm

I've seen and heard a few interviews over the years with Amy Dacyczyn but I've never read the book. I was offered a free copy once but I don't know, maybe I've heard too much about it but it just never really appealed to me.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:16 am

i borrowed Duncan bannatynes how to be smart with your money?

More money for him writing books. Money makes money. Shocked Razz Laughing
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:59 am

i got this one too. the rough guide to saving and selling online?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:08 am

I read them... but most of my information comes from the intarwebs.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  knitmylife Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:53 am

ive read a few of alvin halls. in true money saving style borrowed from the library.

nothing in any thrifty book that i dont know and do already. ive still got no money tho xx
knitmylife
knitmylife

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:02 am

duncan b says he thinks anyone can make money on ebay by selling things they dont want. I think we all know that Very Happy
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  MrsH Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:34 am

I have a few, the main ones I can call to mind just now are Alvin Hall's 'Your money or your life', and Martin Lewis, 'The money diet' and 'Thrifty ways for modern days'.......also just spotted on the book case, 'Spendsmart' by Jay Hunt and Benjamin Fry - they're the 2 presenters from 'Spendaholics' if anyone remembers it Smile I love them, and dig them out whenever our spending goes above what it should be.

MrsH

Back to top Go down

Post  mesh Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:26 am

I have read the tightwad gazette and go back to this whenever I stray from the path! My library doesnt seem to stock many books on thrift but they do order them in. I pick up tips on books to read from this and other forums and then order from the library (in true thrift fashion) and if any good, I look for them in CS or ebay.
mesh
mesh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down