homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

for the crafty amongst us

+20
flibsey
tooties
taurusgb
jetbag
SilverBird
fuddle
janeym8
mesh
stiltwalker
PurpleIvy
wendy
knitmylife
juliapenguin
lollyfin
alec eiffel
life_in_termoil
TP
helen jelly
Anne
froogs
24 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

for the crafty amongst us - Page 4 Empty Re: for the crafty amongst us

Post  lollyfin Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Knew it was something like that Very Happy
if I ever needed it you have saved me the Embarassed of going into a shop and asking for nitromoss rather than nitromors, hate getting the names of things wrong some people just stand and look at you like your a bit mad
OH makes me get car bits sometimes when hes away and thats a nightmare I can never say the things right Laughing
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:43 pm

Ikwym, I used to hate it when I was at college and had to say a word I'd only ever read before!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:27 pm

Hi froog
The scarf yarn is a net type yarn, so what you do is knit into the top of the yarn, then the net stuff drops down. Bit hard to explain really, but you're not actually knitting the lace, that's already part of the yarn. When I get another ball, I'll post a pic of it before it's knitted up so you can see it, and then post some stages of progress, so you can get an idea of how it works. I don't know if you can crochet with it. I'll ask my wool lady when I pop in the shop tomorrow :-)
Anne x
Anne
Anne

http://jer33v3.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:02 pm

for the crafty amongst us - Page 4 Shrunkwool

The smaller ball of yarn is the type I used for the frilly scarf. If you stretch it out it's netty, and you cast on along the top, and knit garter stitch. This time I'm going to cast on 5ts and use 7mm needles and knit till the ball is used. You do get an instruction card with the ball of yarn. Unless you want a short scarf, don't use the recommended needle size, or amount of stitiches. My wool lady says you can crochet it by doing a chain along the top, so you would cast on, then stick the hook back into the top of the yarn an inch along from your last stitch and chain it off. The other ball of yarn is for crochet, although you can knit if you want. Instructions are on the wool band, although my wool lady uses a size 6 hook. I will start the knitting one up later, and post piccies of work as it's happening, and then do the same for the crochet one. The yarn isn't cheap. averages at about £7.50, but at that price, it does make a nice Chrissie present :-)
Anne x
Anne
Anne

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:22 pm

looks lovely.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:35 pm

I love th look of that red yarn.

I crochet, sew and embroider (hand and machine). I like making interesting things out of odd objects.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:38 am

for the crafty amongst us - Page 4 004sm

for the crafty amongst us - Page 4 005sm

for the crafty amongst us - Page 4 004sm

for the crafty amongst us - Page 4 Mesm

Ok various stages of the scarf. Was done really quickly, and it's lovely and long. Just a simple crochet chain along the top. Did it on no 6.50 hook. The instructions on the ball band are for knitting, but you don't need any to crochet it. The edge might look like it's puckering, don't worry about that.Now knitting the net one up, will post more pics later :-)
Anne x
Anne
Anne

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:01 am

oh that looks fabby gorgeous! bounce bounce bounce
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:00 pm

for the crafty amongst us - Page 4 001sm

for the crafty amongst us - Page 4 002sm

for the crafty amongst us - Page 4 003sm

Here's the net type one. This is knitted along the top of the net. Together the two scarves came to £17, so that averages on £8.50 a scarf, which is pricey, but nice as a treat, or as they're under a tenner and homemade they would make a nice birthday or Christmas gift :-)
Anne x
Anne
Anne

Back to top Go down

Post  mesh Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:12 pm

alec eiffel wrote:I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to get the big bit of fabric onto the wall... the getting started was the fun bit once I'd drawn the basic design on. It's brilliant to do it on days like today as the wadding keeps me super warm :cheers:

Hi alec eiffel, I have a large wall hanging in my bedroom and I hung it on a black metal curtain rail bought from IKEA and used some of the clips, also from IKEA (a bit like bulldog clips attached to rings) along the top of the hanging and the ring bit threaded onto the rail. Sometime ago, I had another hanging in my hallway and this one was hung on a thin black metal curtain pole and I had sewn thick tape loops on the back of the hanging which were not visible, and then the loops were threaded over the curtain pole. I think it all depends on the weight of your hanging.

I had no end of compliments on the hangings as they are a bit different to piccies on the wall.

Hope this makes some sense!!

mesh
mesh

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:11 pm

Thanks Mesh, it does make sense!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:10 am

I found this Youtube tutorial for knitting with that Can Can type wool, made it look so easy I've had a try myself Smile
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

http://www.thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:40 pm

How are you getting on with your try Bitsy Beans? Smile

I have made my first children's hat to sell! I love it, want it for my two but I made it 3-6 months on purpose so I couldn't nab it.

for the crafty amongst us - Page 4 Img00513
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  life_in_termoil Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:16 pm

froogs wrote:How are you getting on with your try Bitsy Beans? Smile

I have made my first children's hat to sell! I love it, want it for my two but I made it 3-6 months on purpose so I couldn't nab it.

Can I order an adult sized one???? Its lovely
life_in_termoil
life_in_termoil

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:35 pm

My "try" got taken on holiday where I promptly ignored it (damn you angry birds game for being so addictive lol). So as usual it's a WIP aka work in progress but I have to say it's REALLY easy to do, especially after watching that tutorial. Bear in mind I can't knit for toffee so if I can do it anyone can Very Happy

Love your hat froogs Smile
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:37 pm

life_in_termoil wrote:
froogs wrote:How are you getting on with your try Bitsy Beans? Smile

Can I order an adult sized one???? Its lovely

yeah course you can. I'll make an adult sized one and show you, if you want it you can have first refusal Wink If you don't want it nothing lost and i'll stick it up for sale. (Can you tell my confidence isn't all that great just yet) £7 ok?
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  life_in_termoil Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:29 am

£7 bargain!!!

I cant wait now! Walking to work in the winter wearing that hat will make me smile. Thank you x
life_in_termoil
life_in_termoil

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:17 am

life_in_termoil wrote:£7 bargain!!!

I cant wait now! Walking to work in the winter wearing that hat will make me smile. Thank you x

Aw no, thank you! I never thought for one minute someone would like what I do, let alone think it's good enough. I'm filled with enthusiasm now. Very Happy

I have started your hat Very Happy but I don't think I am going to have enough of the pink so have ordered some more (needed some anyway) just so you know what the hold up is, hope you don't mind. Embarassed
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:34 am

I love your hat Froogs its brill
i really like the frilly scarfs they would be great for pressies
everyone has been so busy i am really impressed and quite jealous i havent got anything made recently
i have been asked to make a mickey mouse castle cake with mickey and minnie and im not sure how im going to do it lots of thinking to be done yet.Its for a little girl that i made a peppa pig cake for last year, shes my DD's BF's niece, shes going to be 3 and is totally adorable.
If I can figure out how to do it and if anyone wanted to see I could post pics of some of the cakes i have made (and remembered to take photos of) and constructive critisim (sp) always welcome
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:09 am

lollyfin I would love to see your cake creations! bounce I could never criticise a cake maker ad decorator whether it was constructively or not.. I have tried to make my girls a birthday cake twice and my gosh they were terrible attempts! Embarassed Rolling Eyes never again lol
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:21 am

I am taking a cake decorating course in September Smile me and my mum have made cakes before for family but we both fancied learning some new techniques. Am really looking forward to it.

Link to my blog showing DDs birthday cake from July. I must stress this was a joint effort, not all my handiwork for those of you who didnt see it on MSE
http://thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com/search/label/cake

Have been thinking about Xmas (as you do in September LOL) and I fancy making some felt gingerbread men to hang on the tree Smile
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:44 am

Woah, Bitsy! Sleeping Beauty is impresive bounce I cannot imagine how long that must have taken.

And I've found myself a new blog to add to reader Razz Wink thanks

I was thinking ginger bread men on the tree too. I just don't know how long they would last with the kids me about Embarassed lol
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  life_in_termoil Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:49 am

[quote="froogs"]
life_in_termoil wrote:

I have started your hat Very Happy but I don't think I am going to have enough of the pink so have ordered some more (needed some anyway) just so you know what the hold up is, hope you don't mind. Embarassed

Its not cold enough yet to wear a hat to work so no rush x
life_in_termoil
life_in_termoil

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:00 am

froogs wrote:Woah, Bitsy! Sleeping Beauty is impresive bounce I cannot imagine how long that must have taken.

And I've found myself a new blog to add to reader Razz Wink thanks

I was thinking ginger bread men on the tree too. I just don't know how long they would last with the kids me about Embarassed lol

Actually it was one of our easier cakes. My mum did do some initial prep making the bed out of fondant icing tomdry in advance and then after cake was made it was a question of putting it all together. Probably did it over 2 days at the end. We let the kids as DDs party pull apart the bed parts after she blew out the candles. You should have seen their faces, like Xmas had come early, like locusts for the pure sugar LOL
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:50 pm

That hat is cute Froogs. Love it :-)
We had a baptism yesterday at a local lake place, so we all made an afternoon of it. Took along some wool and needles to start some fingerless gloves off, got myself settled, and comfy got my wool and pattern out, then realised I didn't bring the right sized needles (sigh) I packed back up, then thought blow it. I have to knit. You know what it's like when the urge is there, you just have to get those needls clicking lol. So decided to use needles I had. It's not going to make a lot of difference. Instead of 3mm, I used the 3 1\4 ones I had, and instead of using 3 3\4 needles, I'm using 4mm. Might be slightly larger, than the pattern, but for gloves I don't think that's going to matter. In extreem circustances like that, a knitting woman has to do what she needs to do :-)
Anne x
Anne
Anne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next