for the crafty amongst us

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: for the crafty amongst us

Post  lollyfin on Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:31 am

Aww thanks froogs,
i wish i could crochet like you can but i cant not yet anyway
see if we lived closer we could teach each other which would be great!
dont think the family would be pleased to move so i could learn to crochet tho Laughing
alec I was making the gloves for myself when middle DD decided they were actually something she would wear and she wanted them. I was surprised as shes 16 and mum never comes up with stuff cool enough for her Laughing
both of the patterns were from the vampire knits book, just have to see what im going to make next once the other hats finished
Skype thats a really scary thought, im not good with technology it took me this long to work out the photo thingy Embarassed

Last edited by lollyfin on Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:32 am

lollyfin wrote:Aww thanks froogs,
i wish i could crochet like you can but i cant not yet anyway
see if we lived closer we could teach each other which would be great!
dont think the family would be pleased to move so i could learn to crochet tho Laughing

You'll have to have a Skype lesson!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey on Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:30 am

I taught myself to crochet using youtube too! tjw1964's videos.

until my hand heals though, I'm stuck doing bugger all... well. I was. I got th bandage off yesterday and now have just a dressing, and felt like I wanted to get cracking and use my now relatively usable hand for good and not evil lol!

Minime needed a lighter weight coat than her heavy faux sheepskin as school have decided that even though the weather is unseasonably warm, a zip up hoodie cardigan thing (in school colours I might add) is not suitable outer attire. we went shopping to find one. neither of us liked what we found for either financial or style reasons, and in her infinite wisdom my five year old asked me if I could make her one instead. wonderful suggestion except for the whole hand and wrist surgery thing.

I have been getting antsy and itching to get on and do something. anything. so I decded that as the bandage had come off the day before, leaving just a large dressing over the wound, I could now kinda move my hand enough. YES I COULD DAMNIT!!!

so I decided to check by holding my heavy, stainless steel tailor's shears. yes. I could just about manage them if I left myself time and did things nice and slow. could i trace a pattern?
yes. I could. and I could cut that out too....

no mean feat considering the day beofe my hand had looked like this

ok .so. the coat. once the pattern was cut and ability to use shears ascertained, it was time to pick fabric. she went through my stash and dug out the last bit of this 26 year old kind of christmassy fabric bought by my mum in 1985 to make me a christmas dress and never used until last year (here's what i did with it: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=366042.0) and some 1950s plastic buttons given to me by her Nanny (jim's mum).

ok, pattern cut. lining cut. outer cut. all labelled. pattern instructions read. audio book on ipod, ipod charged.

it took me about 6 hours to finish this coat so if i was fully able-handed it's not be long as all I reckon. but my hand hurts today. I know. my own fault!
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin on Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:24 am

OMG flibsey that is amazing
would say it was amazing anyway but totally blown away considering how your hands are
and your DD is very cute
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey on Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:19 am

thankyou!!!
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:04 am

Flibsey that coat is lovely, well done but OUCH to yournpoor hand!!!

Made DS a birthday cake which has been devoured today.

http://thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com

Pics on blog in case you hadn't seen it via MSE.

am yet to taste it though.......
Bitsy Beans

http://www.thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:11 am

that looks amazing bitsy!
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  jetbag on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:10 pm

Flibsy WOW that coat is lovely, I would love to be good enough to make something like that.
jetbag

Back to top Go down

Post  TP on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:18 pm

well done flibsy.

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:52 pm

my favorite thing happened today. one of the mums asked where I bought soph's coat. love it lol.
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:31 am

I bought 2 single quilts covers yesterday for £1.05 each and i was thinking of turning them into curtains for my sons room. Could i just attach header tape to one end of them and hem the other? I was going to cut them to size and the extra material I cut off put inside the two layers for extra insulation if you get what i mean. I have never made anything sewing before but i do have a sewing machine OH bought me a wee while ago. I am just worried i have over simplified it in my head and am missing something very obvious that you are supposed to do when making curtains Embarassed . So i thought i would ask here before i cut anything as i know one of you will know how to do it Very Happy
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs on Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:00 am

I would say so Lollyfin. But I am not at all good at making curtains. I can't even hem the things straight!

Flibsey!!!!!!!!!!! I adore your little DD's coat. You are so right. There is nothing in the shops at the moments where I think I would love to have DD wear that, not that I could afford to splurge on a super duper coat anyway. Your DD knows fine well you would make her a gorgeous coat Wink

I'm actually inspired. I borrowed my mother in laws sewing machine to make my two a laundry bag and really enjoyed it but my skills are very poor. I would love to make a patchwork quilt but no where near ready to do that.
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:25 am

Lollyfin, yes you can. how do I know? my kid's bedroom curtains are exactly that. been up over a year. curtains ARE as simple as your mind makes them.
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:36 am

We have a wood storage cube thing and I want to use it as our phone seat so I want to make a cushion for it. Does anyone have any tips on how to best make a box cushion? I've looked at a few tutorials but was wondering if there are any pitfalls the tutorial won't tell me! Laughing

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne on Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:33 am

Flibsey, I stand in awe. What a lovely garment, and you well deserve positive comments from people :-) and all done with one good hand. Amazing :-)
Anne x
Anne

http://jer33v3.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:59 pm

Anyone making anything at the minute?

Although not strictly speaking craft, I painted a mirror frame this week to co-ordinate with the rest of the stuff in our spare bedroom. The mirror was given to us by my mum but I didn't like the frame as it was a kind of silver foil thing. And now it's not! Still working on the wallhanging, but other than that I haven't made anything new I don't think... oh a couple of cards and some Christmas decorations but nothing special.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:36 pm

I am making a Scooby Doo cake for a friends DDs birthday party. Got to finish it off tonight. Will then be baking a pumpkin cake and icing it the weekend for the kids on Monday.

I MUST start on some designs for my Xmas cards. I am also making some felt Gingerbread men tree ornaments. Will post pics when I've finished.
Bitsy Beans

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:47 am

Gingerbread men are finished. Pics are on here http://thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com/
Bitsy Beans

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:58 am

I'm currently filet crocheting a blanket. well, it was meant to be a filet shawl with a heart motif but I only have fingering weight yarn (very thin) and that matched a 3.5mm hook for a nice tension, but the pattern calls for worsted/DK weight (much thicker, what you'd expect grandma to be knitting you a nice christmas jumper out of) and a 6mm hook so it's ended up slightly less than half the size than the pattenr said it would... SO I've decided to make 4 of them, sew them together, edge them, back with a plain colour fleece and make a nice faux-quilted blanket lol.
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:29 am

I wish I could crochet flibsey, tried learning from a book but couldn't manage it Embarassed
Bitsy Beans

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:40 am

have you still got a hook? there's an amazing lady on youtube who does slow mo videos of the basics. she's who taught me! it only took me 2 attempts at her basic crochet flower and I was hooked lol.
her name is TJW1963
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:53 am

ohhh I just found this thread. Very Happy

Yes I love to craft and teach it as well.

I crochet self taught but learnt the basic's from 2 lovely elderly sisters who lived next door when I was a child. I still can't follow a book or read a pattern.

Was taught to knit pre school by my mother a knitting pattern designer. I can read a pattern but I tend to design my own.

I taught myself to crewel embroider very young by going looking at books in the library same with the patchwork looking at books at a young age and being taken to a craft show by the two elderly sisters from next door.

I cross stitch, do pulled thread work, cut out work and blackwork have even done a wee bit of stumpwork. I fabric paint and used to make all my own clothes only do repairs and alternations now.

I've just learnt 5 basic stitch for Tunisian/Afghan crochet and can't wait now for my set of Tunisian crochet hooks to arrive so I can start designing some large pieces. Very Happy

I also do glass and cermanic painting and I've also have done emmailing but can't afford the furnance so can only do it now when I go away on a craft and sporting holiday.
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:55 am

I love tunisian work.
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:29 pm

Bumping this thread up. Has anyone been making anything recently?

I've just started my first patchwork, it's for a small bit of wall decor in the living area. I keep losing pins and stuff so mentioned to Dan I need a pin cushion. He nipped upstairs and brought down the cushion thingamy from his watch box. It's a perfect pin cushion and I didn't even have to make it!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  MumofMany on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:00 pm

I'm not a very crafty type of person generally, but have been bitten by the "I need to make something" bug... Unfortunately (or fortunately for me!) I've also been bitten by the vintage/antique bug and yesterday I bought my first sewing machine - a 1902 Singer. A hand crank one. The last time I used a sewing machine was over 15 years ago and it was an electric one. I am relishing the challenge of restoring it to it's former glory and making something on it. It's coming next week and I can not wait!!! bounce
MumofMany

http://perfect-english-housewife.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum