homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was your mum/dad a good cook?

+4
dolly blue
Anne
alec eiffel
TP
8 posters

Go down

Was your mum/dad a good cook? Empty Was your mum/dad a good cook?

Post  TP Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:15 am

as above. Do they cook? What are they like?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Was your mum/dad a good cook? Empty Re: Was your mum/dad a good cook?

Post  alec eiffel Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:32 am

They can both cook. When we were little we ate a fair amount of processed meat when cash was short but we always had loads of fruit and veg and would have plenty of the old classics - steak pie, potato hash etc. My mum is really good at baking too. Father doesn't cook very often but when he does it's really nice, he mainly sticks to curry, lasagne or something like that. Now they don't have to save cash they do more more convenience foods, their attitude is that they've done their scrimping so if they see something they want now then they buy it. And I don't blame them!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:35 am

dad cant cook never has. Mum did it all. I wish he had/did.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:48 am

Yes to my mum. No to my dad. Once when mum went to visit my gran for the weekend (she lived in Shaftsbury) dad decided he knew how to do a roast dinner, so put the meat in the oven, which actually he did ok. Got a bit stumped with the roast potatoes though. He liked to go for a Sunday lunchtim pint at the pub opposite our house, so called out to me the roast potatoes were on, he was just going for his pint, will come back to check them shortly. So, after and hour, popped back and called me into the kitchen. I found him there scratching his head unable to understand why the potatoes weren't browning. "I think they should go in the oven dad." He was boiling them on the hob ????? Bless him. Don't think he ever bothered again after that lol.
Anne x
Anne
Anne

http://jer33v3.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly blue Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:09 am

Yes my mum did cook and cooked proper food iykwim, convenience food was soup and beans. Meals were mainly meat with veg, stew, something with chips i.e egg sausage, would have Mr Kipling's for a treat but most cakes was homemade.
Don't remember my dad cooking a proper meal, he would fry up egg, toast, beans, soup if mum was out or away. I do remember once he cooked sweetbread Shocked the vet had been, they had been soaking in a bucket Shocked , he cooked them Shocked then platted them up Shocked for a friend and myself Shocked . The cat ate well that day Laughing Laughing
dolly blue
dolly blue

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:48 pm

My mum and dad both cook and cook really well
I dont ever remember ready meals being served when i was younger and where we lived there were no takeaways so it was all homecooked food
They are quite adventurous with food as well giving anything a go once and that is something they have passed on to me which i am really glad about
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:20 pm

How much do you think your parents cooking has influenced you?

Baking is the main way I've been influenced by my mum. I cook the same cakes and biscuits we cooked with her when we were little but I don't make all the stuff she does and I don't really have her love of baking. I think the principles of cooking I got from her though, as I've said before she used to help out in cookery classes when I was at infant and primary school. But in terms of what I've cooked as an adult there's not really much crossover.

My main influence was a hotel I worked at when I was in my early 20's. I was a pretty fussy eater before then but when I worked at the hotel I was around food all the time and we ate what was there and that was that. So I was opened up to lots of things I'd never had before - oysters, lobster, caviar, game, all manner of fruit and veg. So that was a huge eye opener for me, not only in the variety of foods but what you could do with it. It had a huge impact and I'm thankful for it!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  marciared Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:44 am

Nothing special really.
marciared
marciared

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:42 am

My Mum wasn't.. just talking to DH about this tonight. Corned beef hash was her 'speciality' pale corned beef in a watery, slightly tomatoey sauce with hard onions and undercooked potato (with skins on that used to peel off and float on the watery sauce) and frozen peas. Pure vile!
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivylinn Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:30 am

lollyfin wrote:My mum and dad both cook and cook really well
I dont ever remember ready meals being served when i was younger and where we lived there were no takeaways so it was all homecooked food
They are quite adventurous with food as well giving anything a go once and that is something they have passed on to me which i am really glad about
My parents were like that when I was growing up and I am very grateful for it. I remember eating all kinds of things.

DH family were very different foreign food banned...garlic banned...spices banned...fish that is not cod in batter banned...Shocked
He grew up not liking the food he was given but unaware of any alternatives.
Ivylinn
Ivylinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down