homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone have a shopping trolley?

+9
flibsey
life_in_termoil
Anne
mesh
helen jelly
Rosie
alec eiffel
TP
froogs
13 posters

Go down

Does anyone have a shopping trolley? Empty Does anyone have a shopping trolley?

Post  froogs Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:37 am

I've been looking on www.shoppingtrolleysdirect.co.uk

My grandma had one years ago. She got some stick over it too I can tell you.

I actually think one will be really useful for me as I don't have access to the car while DH has it at work. About 4 miles away is a factory butcher selling meat, veg and dairy at a good price. I can walk it but would probably get the bus. The only thing is I can't carry all the stuff I would want from there which is why I think a shopping trolley is such a good idea.

The question is would I be ridiculed? All 31 years of me? What do you think?
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have a shopping trolley? Empty Re: Does anyone have a shopping trolley?

Post  TP Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:44 am

great minds think alike. I was walking home behind someone the other day with one and i thought thats one i must post on the forum :lol!:

Ive never had one, i think my mum had one, and dont really have any desire to have one. When i go into town i use my backpack to put stuff in and or use a carrier.

They look modern now ☀ go for it i cant see anyone laughing at you. 🇳🇴
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have a shopping trolley? Empty Re: Does anyone have a shopping trolley?

Post  TP Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:51 am

just been looking at the Rolls Royce ones nice but pricey.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:09 am

I used to have one when I was a student. It was a soft one though, it' didn't have a frame so it just folded up and could go in my bag until I needed it. I loved it, bought it from Habitat, it was plain black canvas. No-one ever said anything about it, I think it was because it was quite subtle and not trying to look too wacky and cool like some of the ones that are about now. I don't have it anymore and just use my backpack for carrying things. I always end up wandering about on the beach when I go to the town so I'd look like a loon walking about with a trolley!

If you like them then I say go for it, who cares about what other people say?

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:21 am

How bizarre, I've been out dog walking with my Aunt today & we were talking about wally trolleys.
She bought one several years ago when her kids were teens & they virtually threatened to call Childline if she was ever seen by them or their friend in public with it. She used it once, she has a cobbled back lane to get home from the shops or half a dozen steps at the front. She opted for the cobbles, not good with a laden trolley, the trolley threw a wheel, tripped Aunt over & she sprained her ankle.
She's now ready to try again, her girls are now in agreement that a trolley would be an asset to her.
I would like one of the vintage wicker ones but they're pricey & I'm not sure that they would hold a lot.
Ikea sell a pretty good range of them I think if you have one near.
I don't think that people take any notice nowadays, or is that because I'm getting older.
In Spain the Spanish use them, even the very young women & nobody looks twice at them.
It's your way of helping the planet, no carrier bags, a lot of people can walk to do the shopping rather than driving.
Charity shops open have them for just a couple of Quid.

Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  helen jelly Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:37 am

These are becoming very fashionable - in the local shopping mall they are for sale at some silly prices and yet on the market they are alot cheaper. If I didn't have the car then I would definately get one

Helen x
helen jelly
helen jelly

Back to top Go down

Post  mesh Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:32 pm

There are a lot more out of the trolleys out there at the mo. and a wide choice of designs.

When I worked, I had to lugg a lappie, electrical equipment and shedloads of paperwork for work and I was given a pull along briefcase which was great but you had to pick it up to go up/downstairs which on the underground was a lot!

I also noticed some 'senior' ladies in Mr S yesterday with their trolleys and it looked quite difficult trying to push a Mr S trolley and manage a shopping trolley at the same time and at the checkout there was a lot of bending to put the shopping away.

I imagine if you are going to 'town' shopping then it would be quite different and a lot more useful.

Hope that helps. If you have a lot of shopping to get a couple of times a week, then go for it as it will save your arms. Very Happy
mesh
mesh

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:54 pm

I do :-) My lot hate it when I use it, but I'm a walking distance from the shops and I prefer to not take the car, so I walk up with the trolley. Mine is black, with white funky cats on it :-)
Anne x
Anne
Anne

http://jer33v3.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  life_in_termoil Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:14 pm

I have a shopping trolley, a bright orange one bought from IKEA years ago. I only use it on my holidays to cart swimming kits, packed lunches, towels etc to the beach or pool. (plus nobody knows me!) Wouldnt be seen dead walking round the town where I live with it. Not good for my reputation lol x
life_in_termoil
life_in_termoil

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:10 pm

what did you decide are you going to get one?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:39 pm

I found an older looking stripy style in argos for £16.99

I'm holding off as DH has applied for a job that company car/van comes with it so if he gets that I might just get to have the car during the day. Fingers crossed!

If he doesn't get it I will get a trolley, boooooogar what others think huh
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:58 am

I have a "craft trolley". it's a foldable plastic box on wheels and it's invaluable! I want a trolley but can't bring myself to do it!!!

I've already got a reputation where I live. I'm very short, kinda chubby, have crazy hair and I use a wicker basket a lot of the time... and my daughter has a matching one. we get compliments all the time, and coos from old ladies about how cute sophie is!

this is what I use

http://direct.hobbycraft.co.uk/products-HobbyCraft-Foldaway-Craft-Trolley_313782.htm

bought for £9.99 in the sale 2 years ago.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:06 am

I actually want one of the old lady 4 wheel trolleys, but there's no WAY I'd have one. I'm 28!
I am however thinking of making a funky bag to fit on an old foldable trolley we have... watch this space.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  marciared Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:08 am

I dont have one. I dont think they will make a comeback for younger people.
marciared
marciared

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:30 am

neither do I, but companies are trying. and I know a lot of mums who are annoyed at not having cars and also not having pushchairs anymore to carry the shopping on/in!
I'm the only one willing to look slightly silly with my wheely box, but they all keep saying it's such a good idea. they're all just too self conscious to do it! (this is my close group of 4 friends)
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:20 am

you could get a shopping trolley and then charge people to advertise on it. Err maybe not.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:53 am

I notice where I live more younger woman are using them.

Many tend to use those one's you'd take on a plane as hand lugagge with the handle that can go down again.

I don't have one myself as I have my own handsewn canvas shopping bags and a nice soft backpack.

When i was studing at evening classes many year's ago (Tayloring course) I used my mother's to pull along all my fabric's as I walked back and forth to college.

My friend who's 23 always use's a trolley when she's food shopping she says it saves on catching the bus up the hill as she'd never get up it carrying shopping bags. Very Happy
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  pipling Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:53 am

When I was in France I noticed alot of women of all ages using shopping trolleys.

The website here shows some similar:
http://funky-shopping-trolleys.co.uk/page2.htm

Although I saw some lovely ones in a homewear store over there that had chunky "off road type" wheels!
pipling
pipling

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have a shopping trolley? Empty four wheel shopping trolleys

Post  parsley Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:59 am

mesh wrote:
There are a lot more out of the trolleys out there at the mo. and a wide choice of designs.

When I worked, I had to lugg a lappie, electrical equipment and shedloads of paperwork for work and I was given a pull along briefcase which was great but you had to pick it up to go up/downstairs which on the underground was a lot!

I also noticed some 'senior' ladies in Mr S yesterday with their trolleys and it looked quite difficult trying to push a Mr S trolley and manage a shopping trolley at the same time and at the checkout there was a lot of bending to put the shopping away.

I imagine if you are going to 'town' shopping then it would be quite different and a lot more useful.

Hope that helps. If you have a lot of shopping to get a couple of times a week, then go for it as it will save your arms. Very Happy

A supermarket trolley makes it too easy to buy more than my shopping trolley will hold. I place one basket on my four wheel trolley and fill that with heavy products (tins and bottles) and hold a second basket for light bulky products. At the till, I unload the basket with the heavy products first so they can be put at the bottom of the trolley first and the crushable products in the second basket go through the till last and end up on top of the 4 wheel trolley. I bought my 4 wheel trolley in wilkinsons.

parsley

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:38 am

I dont see too many people with them so i dont think they have caught on with the younger people where i live?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum