homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vent.......

2 posters

Go down

Vent....... Empty Vent.......

Post  juliapenguin Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:56 am

:evil:

I do some private tuition to make a bit of extra cash. I tell students before their first lesson how much it will cost, and in twenty years I've never had a problem with anybody not paying me..... until today.

A Saudi student who I knew was a bit annoying asked me to work with him on some documents for his Master's degree. Because I knew he was difficult I told him in advance, in writing, how much I charge. Would you believe he then called me at 01:48 in the morning?????? I didn't answer his call but it woke me up because my phone was vibrating. Then I didn't hear from him again so I thought he didn't like the price and wasn't coming - but he phoned two days later at 07:20 to tell me he was coming at 09:00. I told him NO as I'm not being messed about like that.

Anyway, he eventually came today. He was there three hours, but insisted on disappearing off twice - once for a quick trip to Tesco to buy snacks, and once to smoke. At the end of the lesson, he only paid me for two hours. I was incandescent with rage, but he seemed to think that my hourly rate is open to negotiation and that if I sit there waiting while he's outside smoking that's not his problem :evil:

I didn't know what to do so took the money for two hours and let him go (what choice did I have really?) but I'll be sending him a very stern email later today to tell him to pay up the extra or I won't do any more of the work he needs. I think he will just go elsewhere rather than pay up Sad
juliapenguin
juliapenguin

Back to top Go down

Vent....... Empty Re: Vent.......

Post  alec eiffel Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:05 am

I'm not surprised you're annoyed, that's rude. I think you've acted in the right way by putting everything in writing fwiw. Hope he pays up and acts in a more respectful way next time.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  juliapenguin Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:56 am

I don't think there'll be a next time! He's pi$$ed off all several other English teachers I know (not by not paying, but by being a pain in the 'neck') and I think he's going to have trouble finding anyone else to take him on. I wouldn't have touched him with a bargepole if I hadn't known his lovely wife (how she can stand him is a mystery to everyone who knows the family). Unfortunately she's in Saudi for a while (having a rest from him probably) so I don't want to start hassling her about his unprofessional behaviour.

I appreciate the sympathy! I think I have to put this one down to experience - he's never going to cough up. The irony is that he is LOADED. Isn't that always the way? I believe the American word for this type of person is a mooch.
juliapenguin
juliapenguin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum