homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cheap bananas

5 posters

Go down

Cheap bananas Empty Cheap bananas

Post  TP Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:16 am

I bought some bananas from Aldi today 78p for a large bunch. Cheap. There were hard to come by once werent they? A luxury even. Do you find bananas good value?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Cheap bananas Empty Re: Cheap bananas

Post  alec eiffel Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:15 pm

I think bananas are good value, they're so versatile there's no need for them to go to waste. Good as a healthy snack or to make into a smoothie or s sweet treat, great for hot or cold puddings and even for use in some curries and things. Good all rounder I think.

They were hard to come by in the austerity period, Dan's stepdad remembers the first banana he had after the war, it was like Christmas!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  marciared Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:37 am

Aldi are good on their fruit and veg.
marciared
marciared

Back to top Go down

Post  bildanto Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:50 am

Thought I would share this banana story. A couple of years ago now to earn some extra money I started doing the washing up in a local pub at nights. One particular night I was tidying away (another of my duties to keep the kitchen clean) and saw some bananas in a bag on the side. On closer inspection I saw they were in an advanced state of decay, liquid forming in the bottom of the bag, mainly black. I picked them up to throw away and was then told by another member of staff to leave them the owner of the pub did not like anyone to throw food away so I left them. The next night I went to work and was greeted by the owner with an offer of a piece of banoffee pie (sorry for the wrong spelling) she had cooked that day and which was on the menu that night "from some bananas I had to use up" and I politely declined. To this day I only buy the greenest of bananas and use them up pretty quickly.

This then reminds me of another story where one of the first jobs I had whilst still at school was again in a local pub washing up. There were ice cream cartons on the side as each plate came back from the dining room food not eaten I was told to scrape off the plates uneaten food back into the individual cartons for re-use. I lasted a few days.

I am very wary of eating out nowadays unless I can see the kitchens.
bildanto
bildanto

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:21 am

I remember my history teacher at school telling us how all throughout the war as a child she was told how wonderful bananas were and how much she was looking forward to having one for the first time after the war only to find out she really didn't like them!
stiltwalker
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:36 am

It says in the paper today that you should eat bananas when they are green.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  bildanto Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:45 am

Does it say they are better for you when green then, not seen the papers today? I usually shop in Aldi but these last few weeks have been in Lidl and got to say the veg seems to really taste better from there and the price is very reasonable. I find a lot of the veg quite bland from Aldi although it is cheap. We have started to grow our own veg, we rent an allotment, this will be the third year and are still using our own potatoes, runner beans, onions from last year. It is all a learning curve from the growing to the storing of our veg but we enjoy it.
bildanto
bildanto

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:30 am

TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  bildanto Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:51 am

Thanks for the link. An interesting read. Well I do some things right and most wrong according to that. I steam all my veg whereas it says boil carrots, I cook with virgin olive oil which according to that is a no no and I casserole and stew a lot of meat as I prefer very well cooked, fall to pieces its so well cooked meat. I don't like boiling hot tea so let it "stew" for a minute or two or three so that is good and eat green bananas.
bildanto
bildanto

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:56 am

I was suprised about the carrots bit too.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum