homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

eye tests do you go?

+5
marciared
dolly blue
Aisles
alec eiffel
TP
9 posters

Go down

eye tests do you go? Empty eye tests do you go?

Post  TP Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:20 am

I went for an eye test this morning and i paid the £10 where you get a photo taken at the back of your eyes and they can analyse it and see the general health of your eye. I thought it was well worth it as eyes are so important.

Does everyone go for general checks for their eyes?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

eye tests do you go? Empty Re: eye tests do you go?

Post  alec eiffel Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:17 am

I do, although having an eye test to me is like lots of people are with the dentist! I went last year and they totally got my prescription wrong so I was back and forth for about a month getting it sorted. The glasses are ok now but I still think they could be clearer. My eyesight is terrible but I know my eyes are healthy so that's the main thing.

Dan's stepdad has glaucoma and had the operation to fix it a while ago. It cost a fortune and sounded horrible (he takes great delight in telling me all the gory details pale ) but his eyes are stable so it was worth it.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:25 am

oh is due one. He dosent really want to go like you. He has been in the past and its overdue. He shys away They do put you through it abit i know. I was in there nearly an hr lol.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:26 am

I'm thinking of joining a gym so I'm going to have to go back to get some contacts, there is no way I could get round a public place without my glasses on!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:50 am

I have mine tested every other year and it's a complete eye sight and eye health test. Have done every since I was 14years old when I told mother I thought I needed glasses as I couldn't see the 'Blackboard' at school very clearly.
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:18 am

my sight is good fortunately, and i have never needed glasses until recently and thats only for the computer and reading not all the time. I dont have to wear them but it makes things crisper and clearer and i can get eye ache if i dont. I spend loads of time online as well.

My son has had glasses since 10 so i was used to taking him to the opticians growing up. His dads side of the family dont have good sight.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly blue Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:43 am

I go every two yrs, only once as my prescription not changed, still got away to go before I'm fully blind, , DD started waring glasses at 21ish, Ds about 3, Oh also.
dolly blue
dolly blue

Back to top Go down

Post  marciared Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:36 am

I dont go for mine but I think I would if i felt I needed too.
marciared
marciared

Back to top Go down

Post  ~KATIE~ Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:30 pm

I haven't been to get my eyes checked for about 4 years and I know I need glasses. I have to wait until a bus is right on me to see if it's the one I want! And when I'm at the football and someone scores at the other end half the time I can't tell who it was - and I'm a non league fan not huge stadiums or anything.

My partner also thinks he needs glasses though he can't see small things close up. I've said together we make the perfect pair!

I found a place doing free eye tests and have booked us both in for this weekend, Saturday. I will be amazed if he says we don't need glasses and not a day goes by without us both squinting to try to see something. Not looking forward to how much the glasses will be though Shocked as I want a nice pair this time, I did have glasses in school for a while and they were thick rainbow rims.
~KATIE~
~KATIE~

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:39 pm

There are some nice pairs around now if you have to wear them all the time but as you say there is the cost. Let us know how you go on?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  ~KATIE~ Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:43 am

Well we went for our eye tests and we both need glasses as we thought.

I have problems with long distance more so when my eyes get tired and my glasses are for 'general use' picked two pairs, one normal and one sunglasses.

My partner he can't see things close up so needs his for reading and such like. He picked two pairs same as above. With him being over 40 he had the pressure test on his eyes, she used a thingy to blow air in his eyes and he really didn't like that one! pale
Total of that day came to £330!! Shocked

We have to go back at the weekend if they're ready for fitting and to collect them. I'll then be testing them out at the football on Saturday! They're a gold kind of frame that the lady there said went very well with my hair (red) and the sunglasses have a kind of feather pattern on the arms, I like them and they weren't even the dearest ones there!

That was Saturday, Monday the car was ready at the garage and cost another £340! Shocked

Good job he only bought me a cheap Thornton's Easter egg home tonight he found in the supermarket on the way home for Valentines. We had agreed not to get anything but he got beer and I have my chocolate. Smile
~KATIE~
~KATIE~

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:00 am

The pressure tests on your eyes i agree is awful. I couldnt wait for it to be over.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:15 pm

If it makes you feel any better Katie, I paid nearly £300 for my last pair, so 4 pairs for £330 seems pretty good to me!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

eye tests do you go? Empty when and where to go?

Post  parsley Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:05 am

I'll be honest, I have no problems reading, in 1989 I was told one eye was 4 times better than normal and the other eye 5 times better than normal.

In 2007, I was given a photocopy to read at college where the text seemed tiny. I actually asked to borrow it so I could enlarge it on the photocopier.

I went for an eye test and I'm told I need glasses for reading. When I returned to collect the glasses they were adjusted to fit. I was alarmed as everything moved. I was told the glasses were only for reading.

At home I started to read the college sheet and my eyes started to hurt after a few lines so I stopped reading. My eyes hurt during the night as though something was pushing in from the sides of my head. In the morning I telephoned the optician and was told it was nothing to do with the new glasses. I telephoned my doctor and was advised to attend Moorfields accident and emergency department.

The tests showed an extremely high eye pressure. The consultant told me I has 20 20 vision and could read 2 lines more than him. He told me never to wear the glasses again. Not to set foot inside an optician for at least 10 years and only then if I had to hold things at arms length to read. I apologised for wasting his time and he elaborated that 20 people a day visited Moorfields with the same symptoms as me.

We are all different and not everyone needs an eyetest or prescription glasses.

I do look after my eyes, I wear cheap polaroid sunglasses outside. Whenever I type a fullstop I blink because I'd read people blink less using a computer and get dry eyes which they rub. I try to print and read rather than read from the screen too.

I wish I'd never gone to s__s. If you want a good optician, ask your doctor or dentist where they go.

parsley

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:48 pm

I keep forgetting to put my specs on while on the comp lol.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:45 am

My neighbour is my optician so if I don't go I get nagged Very Happy
She even kindly sent me the pics of my retinas Laughing
I don't wear glasses, I am long sighted but can manage OK without at the moment.
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

http://www.thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Evenstar Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:37 am

I am very very short sighted and get free eye tests every year. I wear contact lenses too although I find my eyes are starting to get quite dry as I get older so will be relying on my glasses more and more unfortunately

Evenstar

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:50 am

I never get round to putting my glasses on. I have hardly worn them since i got them must do better.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum