homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you have a little job on the side?

+2
helen jelly
froogs
6 posters

Go down

Do you have a little job on the side? Empty Do you have a little job on the side?

Post  froogs Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:37 pm

Does any of you 'do' Avon or Virgin Vie or body shop at home?

I have heard that Jamie Oliver is starting up a home party plan. I'm not sure whether I have the confidence to 1) sell and 2) talk in front of strangers. Embarassed Shocked pale :affraid:

I'm wondering what other jobs 'on the side' to being a homemaker we could do?
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Do you have a little job on the side? Empty Re: Do you have a little job on the side?

Post  helen jelly Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:05 pm

I used to do Avon but it was such a faff that I gave up and I never earnt much!!

Helen
helen jelly
helen jelly

Back to top Go down

Do you have a little job on the side? Empty Re: Do you have a little job on the side?

Post  TP Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:46 am

i dont do anything like you mentioned.

have you looked at code3research?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:51 am

frugaliciousness wrote:Does any of you 'do' Avon or Virgin Vie or body shop at home?

I have heard that Jamie Oliver is starting up a home party plan. I'm not sure whether I have the confidence to 1) sell and 2) talk in front of strangers. Embarassed Shocked pale :affraid:

I'm wondering what other jobs 'on the side' to being a homemaker we could do?

Jamie at Home has been going 2 1/2 years now and I've been doing it a little bit for nearly 2 years. It's not actually that hard to talk in front of people and the stuff sells itself really, don't have to "sell" it or I wouldn't if you get what I mean? I was looking for something that tied in with having been a chef and stuff I liked as I couldn't see me doing make up or stuff as I don't use any! Only problem is I don't see any commission as I end up spending it on new kitchen stuff! I'm a bit addicted Laughing
stiltwalker
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  juliapenguin Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:32 am

The Jamie Oliver stuff sounds really interesting - I'd love to do something like that but I don't know anybody round where I live and it's also quite a poor and multi-ethnic area so I'm not sure how easy it would be to get going.

I've done a bit of private English tuition and proofreading at home, but while I've been working at a school I haven't had time and now I've got time I haven't had anyone ask me for ages. I wouldn't tutor strangers in my house (for safety reasons) but if they come via someone I know I'm fine with that. There's also the worry over the tax man - if I was making lots of money I'd do proper accounts and have a proper small business, but it's so erratic and I've never made much money.
juliapenguin
juliapenguin

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:48 am

sometimes schools advertise for exam invigilators i have never done it though.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:58 pm

I've done exam invigilating for a long while, but it's not as easy as it once was. Although there are more exams taken since I first started ( there were no AS levels and only a few A Levels were done as modules) I don't earn as much from it. In the 'olden days' I could go into college and do a 3 hour exam, short lunch break and then another 3 hour exam in the afternoon. Solid work. These days most of the exams are 2 hours or less, some papers only an hour, so you may end up with a morning hour and an afternoon hour, meaning if you live more than a couple of hundred yards away it's a right faff. Also you're hanging around waiting to go back in for the afternoon. If you're retired (as many of our team are) then I guess it's not a problem, but I have 'stuff' to do. Getting yer clothes and makeup on to leave the house at 8.15 for an hour's work is only worth it if you have nothing else to do!

Division of labour is a bit of a one as well, we used to be a team of about 10-12, everyone got a fair share of what was going. Nowadays the team is probably 40 or so and I"m not sure the longer and shorter exams are evenly distributed.

I'm not sure I'll go back this year, see how the other work (sewing and alterations and beauty/holistic treatments both working at home) takes off then decide when the paperwork for the next lot of exams comes through I think.

ETA my 'home jobs' aren't 'on the side', I'm registered as self employed and submit a tax return every year! :sleep:
PurpleIvy
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum