homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cheap food websites

5 posters

Go down

Cheap food websites Empty Cheap food websites

Post  TP Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:38 pm

Approved food etc. Has anyone ordered and what is the stuff like etc?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Cheap food websites Empty Re: Cheap food websites

Post  dolly blue Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:27 am

Not had a delivery this year but have in the past, also food bargains is another, think another two sites selling similar things are around.
Its good for bread mix's when in stock, trying to run my cupboards down so sitting on my hands looking whats new on Smile
Remember ordering from another think it was big brands/bargains with a offer of 300% free, oh lordy the delivery man wasn't happy, but that was a couple of years ago.
dolly blue
dolly blue

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:31 am

"my name is stiltwalker and I am addicted to approved foods" sits back down again Embarassed

Got a parcel this morning, you need to pick things carefully and resist things you wouldn't use anyway however cheap they are! I find it good for snack things, crisps and choc to go in packups. Also catering sizes of things I use like paxo stuffing (for sarnies) and stock powder. Sometimes they have things with really long dates which will go nicely in hampers like posh chocs or tea in fancy tins (both of which I have had in the last 3 months). The only problem is getting something, finding it is really nice and then not being able to get it again.
stiltwalker
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:11 am

stiltwalker wrote:"my name is stiltwalker and I am addicted to approved foods" sits back down again Embarassed

Got a parcel this morning, you need to pick things carefully and resist things you wouldn't use anyway however cheap they are! I find it good for snack things, crisps and choc to go in packups. Also catering sizes of things I use like paxo stuffing (for sarnies) and stock powder. Sometimes they have things with really long dates which will go nicely in hampers like posh chocs or tea in fancy tins (both of which I have had in the last 3 months). The only problem is getting something, finding it is really nice and then not being able to get it again.

ha stiltwalker the first bit was funny. I presume it all tastes ok?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:13 am

All tastes fine, never had a problem with any of it.
stiltwalker
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:36 am

do you save much though because you pay for delivery dont you?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  marciared Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:45 am

Perhaps if you shared it with someone it would save money. Wish there were shops you could just walk into like that.
marciared
marciared

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:46 am

They quite often have free delivery offers, this time I got a little mini chocolate fondue set for £5.95 and than included a £5.25 delivery credit (so free delivery!) and so long as you look at the RRPs then you can still be saving loads. The thing I am always careful about is to compare the price against what I would usually buy so say a tin of tomatoes was 50p down from an RRP of 79p - ok, good saving if that is the bad you buy but I get value at 33p a tin so no good for me. I also wait until there are quite a few things that I would get anyway at good reductions before I put an order in. On the website it has a bit up by the running total that tells you how much you save after delivery and if that doesn't come up to enough then I junk the order.
stiltwalker
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Cheap food websites Empty Rosspa

Post  parsley Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:44 am

TP wrote:do you save much though because you pay for delivery dont you?
Approved Food used to sell fresh fruit and vegetables cheaper than my local shops and there is no fares or parking charges to pay as the 25kg is delivered to your doorstep.

now Rosspa sells fresh fruit and vegetables, onions are 4kg for 50p not just for a week but the whole of January.

fresh sausages have been £1.00 a pound in weight since last June.

Compared to supermarket prices the delivery cost is easily saved. The 32p green peppers are enormous compared to their supermarket comrades.

Delivery is made in an insulated box with frozen freezer packs and the cabbage is so fresh there is no need to discard the outer leaves.

So not only cheaper prices but better quality actually saves money and the black pudding for only £1.00 is a special treat if you don't like smoked salmon.

Fresh eggs and fresh bread (baked by a local baker) are so rejuvenating compared to the dull tasteless supermarket offerings. And fresh herbs such as parsley really make a difference to my appetite.

Rosspa.co.uk orders must be made before 2pm for next day delivery. Fresh produce is only despatched monday-thursday to avoid weekend transit.

have a look at the website and compare prices. The fresh fruit and vegetables can be at the wholesale market one day and at your doorstep the next. Approved Food has bargains but no fresh fruit and vegetables at present. Food Bargains has fresh fruit and vegetables including (yorkshire carrots) but not next day delivery.

parsley

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:09 am

thanks for replies.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly blue Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:15 pm

Whats rosspa meat like Parsley? to me a pepper is a pepper but a bit fussy with my meat
dolly blue
dolly blue

Back to top Go down

Post  marciared Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:19 pm

When the items arrive how near the best before date are they?
marciared
marciared

Back to top Go down

Cheap food websites Empty Approved Food free delivery for up to 100kg until 11.59 15th February

Post  parsley Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:26 pm

Until 11.59pm February 15th Spend over £45 on products and ensure your basket weighs less than 100kg and your delivery will be absolutely FREE for mainland England customers

parsley

Back to top Go down

Cheap food websites Empty Rosspa meat

Post  parsley Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:56 pm

hi Dolly Blue,
I regularly buy Rosspa bacon, right now the 5lb back rasher packs are 2 for £10 rather than £6.99 a pack. The bacon offcuts are really fresh and lean and cheap.

The sausages are popular I find them well minced.

I was concerned with the range of Turkey crowns available in December and I was told they are delivered to order to ensure they were fresh. If a product only has one day left on the sell by date, Rosspa telephone you to check if you want it.

The frozen packs in the polystyrene delivery box keep the meat very cold in transit.

Yesterday I took delivery of a 4lb box of open mushrooms for £1.99. Big solid mushrooms, some were doubles but the quality was better than the shops.

Do look through the shelves as new products go onto the shelves. really sweet red grapes 99p for 500g yesterday. 100g fresh ginger for 10p

If you order early your bread and fresh products are kept for you from the day's delivery when it arrives.

If I order on the dispatch day, I telephone 01268 527714 to check the stock levels of the bread and cooked meat before I order in advance of the 2pm deadline. Staff are very helpful.

Rosspa have just changed courier to XDP.

Do suggest something (in the comments section)to substitute to use the weight if a product is OOS. If smoked gammon is OOS, they don't send unsmoked gammon unles you specify it as a substitute

new in today 3 x 400g pasta for £1.00.

parsley

Back to top Go down

Cheap food websites Empty Rosspa dates

Post  parsley Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:18 pm

marciared, the Rosspa dates vary like any supermarket. Rosspa does not sell OOD products like Approved Food and Food Bargains.

When I ordered Turkey trimmings on 13th February, Rosspa telephoned and emailed to check if I wanted packets dated 14th February because that was all they had available. In the past if Rosspa have not been able to contact me, the don't send products that will be on their date on the delivery day. Cheese has had over a month on the date. When I tried the cheap grated cheese it was well in date but it was dry, so not for me. The Ilchester sliced cheese was fresh.

The bread is freshly delivered every morning by a local baker. The description crunchy means sprinkled with cracked wheat not crusty.

If you want more information on specific product dates telephone 01268-527714 after 9am when they're not busy to ask.
The Rosspa facebook page sometimes lists what is new in that day but I have observed products are put on the shelves first. Remember Fruit and Vegetable prices or jot them down as a lower price tends to be fresh stock.

The sacks of carrots may look cheap but remember to add on 22p a kilo for delivery cost.

There was free delivery last Wednesday evening on the Rosspa facebook page so it's worth keeping an eye on in case that's repeated.

parsley

Back to top Go down

Post  parsley Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:22 pm

stiltwalker wrote:They quite often have free delivery offers, this time I got a little mini chocolate fondue set for £5.95 and than included a £5.25 delivery credit (so free delivery!) and so long as you look at the RRPs then you can still be saving loads. The thing I am always careful about is to compare the price against what I would usually buy so say a tin of tomatoes was 50p down from an RRP of 79p - ok, good saving if that is the bad you buy but I get value at 33p a tin so no good for me. I also wait until there are quite a few things that I would get anyway at good reductions before I put an order in. On the website it has a bit up by the running total that tells you how much you save after delivery and if that doesn't come up to enough then I junk the order.

If you like the in date chocolate bar with the Approved Food fondue set, Rosspa has 6 for 99p. With the free delivery today don't order the Approved Food fondue set

parsley

Back to top Go down

Cheap food websites Empty If you live in Taunton postcodes

Post  parsley Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:57 pm

bestbuy-foods.com offer delivery to the following postcodes TA2 TA3 TA4 TA5 TA6 TA7 TA8 TA9 TA23(subject to a minimum order of £15, usually next day delivery - postage refunded on delivery).

No fresh fruit or vegetables or fresh meat or eggs like Rosspa.

but worth a look if you're in their Taunton free delivery area

parsley

Back to top Go down

Post  parsley Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:37 pm

marciared wrote:When the items arrive how near the best before date are they?

My last Rosspa delivery on 15th February included bacon labelled packed on 9th February and Best before 12th March.

The fresh thyme from Rosspa delivered December 29th that has remained without water in the bag is still green February 17th apart from one sprig.

The garlic cloves start to sprout so not irradiated.

The ginger is the freshest I have ever prepared. No stringy parts and easy to chop. At 10p for 100g ginger Rosspa is brilliant.

The parsley was a disappointment because it had been packed with the frozen blocks in with the chilled meat.

I have avoided ordering bananas as they don't like the cold.

The eggs are not date stamped but they don't float when boiled

Approved Food is not currently selling Fresh Fruit and Vegetables

Food Bargains is selling fresh fruit and vegetables but no dates. Massive cucumbers and yorkshire carrots.

Rosspa does not dispatch fresh products for weekend transit.
The cox apples have varied from crisp to soft to crisp again. Like supermarket apples they do not keep more than 2 weeks

parsley

Back to top Go down

Cheap food websites Empty price changes

Post  parsley Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:36 pm

parsley wrote:
marciared wrote:When the items arrive how near the best before date are they?

My last Rosspa delivery on 15th February included bacon labelled packed on 9th February and Best before 12th March.

The fresh thyme from Rosspa delivered December 29th that has remained without water in the bag is still green February 17th apart from one sprig.

The garlic cloves start to sprout so not irradiated.

The ginger is the freshest I have ever prepared. No stringy parts and easy to chop. At 10p for 100g ginger Rosspa is brilliant.

The parsley was a disappointment because it had been packed with the frozen blocks in with the chilled meat.

I have avoided ordering bananas as they don't like the cold.

The eggs are not date stamped but they don't float when boiled

Approved Food is not currently selling Fresh Fruit and Vegetables

Food Bargains is selling fresh fruit and vegetables but no dates. Massive cucumbers and yorkshire carrots.

Rosspa does not dispatch fresh products for weekend transit.
The cox apples have varied from crisp to soft to crisp again. Like supermarket apples they do not keep more than 2 weeks

The fresh ginger has increased by 50% since yesterday to 15p for 100g
A cucumber was 50p yesterday but now 79p each or 25p a cucumber half so check the products to find the best deal. (hope Ross doesn't read this)

The boxes of mushrooms have increased to £2.50 (mine were super fresh)
Like any greengrocer, Rosspa prices vary with the daily market prices.
The 10kg carrots for £1.99 will have a delivery cost of £2.20 for the weight and 10kg for £4.19 is not such a good deal unles you are ordering other products to save £ and have 10kg weight allowance to spare.

Explained differently, 2lb sausages at Rosspa costs £2.00 plus 22p delivery and is saving you a lot more than supermarket prices.

If you buy 20lb of sausages for £20.00 at Rosspa the delivery charge is £5.50 so 20lb sausages delivered to your door (no bus fares or parking tickets or ttravelling time)costs £25.50 but you still have over 15kg of space left in your basket that you've paid for. So the 10kg of carrots will be delivered to your door with the 20lb sausages for no extra delivery charges just the £1.99 cost of 10kg carrots. And there is still 5kg space you're paid for.

The delivery is packed with frozen blocks to keep the products cool so it arrives colder than the products you bring home yourself, unless you take the frozen blocks to the supermarket.

In the hot weather I used to buy frozen supermarket vegetables to pack next to fresh cold meat during the journey home to keep the meat cold.

The frozen vegetables could be cooked for the next meal and the meat placed in the fridge or frozen. Regardless of packet date hot weather causes fresh meat to go bad.

Rosspa has researched and frozen blocks and polystyrene insulated boxes are included in the delivery costs.

parsley

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down