homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Television Talk

+8
mesh
marciared
Bitsy Beans
alec eiffel
lollyfin
Teresa
TP
froogs
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Television Talk - Page 2 Empty Re: Television Talk

Post  TP Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:13 am

oh is watching the choir gareth malone BBC2. He's quite good actually. Gets people singing together.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:00 pm

last night I couldn't find anything I liked on, so I streamed the latest episode of The Walking Dead. love that show. mmmmm zombies.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:13 pm

Did anyone watch the Children in Need Rocks concert on BBC last night?

We didn't see much of it but we caught Elbow and Andrea Bocelli. Dan likes Elbow so he quite enjoyed their two songs and Andrea Bocelli's version of Nessun Dorma was enjoyable. It was a song I never liked until I watched Turandot so when I knew what it was about I thought it was great. And a perfect choice for the 1990 World Cup too.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:15 pm

yes we saw it, alot of it was rubbish. Why did they only give a good singer like Bocelli one song.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:25 pm

I know, it is a shame. It must be a nightmare for the organisers trying to get the right balance with all the acts they have on.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:56 pm

I think alot of these things are geared to the younger age group. I switched on abit of children in need on Friday night when we got home from badminton and it was Olly Murs, the Saturdays, JLS, etc. I thought children in need was for all. Shocked
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:54 am

I guess JLS and Olly Murs etc have appeal because they were on X Factor (I think) so lots of people will know them. It's not my kind of music at all but we saw Olly Murs perform at the illuminations switch on and he was actually quite good, I was quite surprised. My parents were very happy because Snow Patrol were on and they love them!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:39 pm

The younger people will know them if they are on x factor. I still think most of these things are geared to the younger age group. I get the feeling Britians got talent is too, when you look at the stars/ groups they have on there. You can also tell about the adverts in the break too who they are gearing it at.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:29 am

Oooooh, I am cross today. I don't know if anyone has seen the offering BBC1 is currently churning out. It's called "That's Britain" and it's some Big Society bull where everyone can get together and have a good moan. It makes my blood boil. Especially as it's another opportunity for people to have a go a local authorities. How dare people spend money on things like public art (when the grant for the public art is almost certainly ring fenced and couldn't be used for anything else). Things cost money - they just do, if you want to live in a hole then fine whinge away, I'd rather not.

I know I'm probably in the minority with this one but I am so sick of people whining yet still thinking it's up to someone else to sort things out.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:42 am

I watched it. They want bus conductors to be bought back cant see it myself. Also they did a hidden camera thing where a man couldnt park his car in a supermarket and asked members of the public if they would guide him in and also if they would park it for him. The aim was to see if people would help a stranger. It was funny watching him trying to park. Smile
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:15 pm

I was surprised at how many people said they'd park his car for him. With all the "no win no fee" stuff about the place there's no way I'd do something like that in case there was a crash or something (not that I can drive).

I have never been on a bus with a conductor, I think they went by the wayside before I was around. I don't know what their purpose is really. What did they do? We have full access buses now so it's easier for people to negotiate and the driver takes the cash or people use a travel card so I don't know what their purpose would be.

I only watched it because Dan was out and the football was dull, I normally wouldn't watch that kind of thing, especially as Nick flipping Knowles was "presenting" it. He's up there with Adrian Chiles for me.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:55 pm

I remember conductors from when i was little, maybe nottingham was one of the last places to get rid of them? for me conductors would just be another person i have to explain my company subsidised bus tickets to, get funny looks from and be treated like a forger they've given the benefit of the doubt to, despite the fact that there's a number on the back of the ticket for them to call and verify it's genuine, and I ALWAYS offer to show them the photo ID that goes with them (even though I'm not required to)... ggggrrrrr. sorry. rant over.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:02 am

alec eiffel wrote:I was surprised at how many people said they'd park his car for him. With all the "no win no fee" stuff about the place there's no way I'd do something like that in case there was a crash or something (not that I can drive).

We said the same but thats what the test was how many people would do it knowing they werent insured. How far were they prepared to go for a stranger.

I have never been on a bus with a conductor, I think they went by the wayside before I was around. I don't know what their purpose is really. What did they do? We have full access buses now so it's easier for people to negotiate and the driver takes the cash or people use a travel card so I don't know what their purpose would be.

I think people liked having someone to ask questions to like for example questions about the route where they should get off too and they generally kept things ticking over on the bus. They wont be back though it would cost too much money. I think they would get alot abuse sadly these days too. Good point about the travel card i guess they didnt have them back then?

I only watched it because Dan was out and the football was dull, I normally wouldn't watch that kind of thing, especially as Nick flipping Knowles was "presenting" it. He's up there with Adrian Chiles for me.

TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly blue Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:20 am

I only saw the bit on the parking(I was changing OH dressing so not 100% watching)
Yes Nick Knowitall also wants putting in a box with Chiles Laughing , cant be doing with the man
Bring back bus conductors? think we need buses bring back first.
dolly blue
dolly blue

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:39 am

I also watched the Cafe on Sky 1 last night. It was new it was supposed to be abit like the Royle family except it was set in a cafe in Weston Supermare.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:26 pm

alec eiffel wrote:I was surprised at how many people said they'd park his car for him. With all the "no win no fee" stuff about the place there's no way I'd do something like that in case there was a crash or something (not that I can drive).

do they still have conductors on the trams in Blackpool?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:36 pm

Hmmm, I'm not sure... Maybe they do for the heritage trams they have out in the summer but possibly not for the new trams they've just bought.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  mesh Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:17 am

this will make you smile, they have bus conductors in India, mind you they need them. It costs appox 20p to travel 15kms, ladies sit with the ladies (unless you are married) and men sit with the men - woebetide you if you sit with the men you get shifted pretty quick.

there are four tiers to the bus system, the dirt cheap and dirty bus costs 5ir, the government bus costs 12ir, the aircon bus 25ir and the private bus, whatever they can get away with and you want to pay.

there are no electrics in any shape or form no power steering and no glass (apart from the new aircon bus), and the bell is a string threaded along the inside of the roof attached to a bell, works perfectly well and only the conductor can pull the bell.

If you cannot get on the bus inside, you can ride outside for 1 or 2ir (although this is not recommended).

The floor is generaly solid but at times, you can see the road and tyres with tread? wots that? if it has a miniscule of rubber, its legal.

Exhaust fumes are horrendous, I doubt the effect of global warming has ever been mentioned to the average indian.

happy days......
mesh
mesh

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:08 am

i am glad i dont live in india then.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:15 am

watched the Carling Cup tonight pale and recorded Frozen planet.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:33 pm

Did anyone watch ask the midwife last night?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:36 pm

No, I didn't see it, it's not my kind of thing at all. Was it good?

The only things we watched this weekend were Carmen and the football.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:41 pm

? I am not sure whether i liked it or not I know its been quite popular? suppose it depends whether you are interested in what life was like in the East end giving birth in the 50's? Certainly different to today Shocked

Which football did you watch?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:47 pm

I'm not interested in people giving birth in any time period! Laughing

We watched Newcastle v QPR and Swansea v Arsenal. The former was not great, the latter was pretty exciting.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:49 pm

alec eiffel wrote:I'm not interested in people giving birth in any time period! Laughing

oh is not either lol. Very Happy I am not sure whether i will watch again next week?

We watched Newcastle v QPR and Swansea v Arsenal. The former was not great, the latter was pretty exciting.

We had the latter on.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next