homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chat about your Car

+15
Aisles
knitmylife
Pippajo
mesh
2boysmum
marciared
flibsey
froogs
lollyfin
dolly blue
Bitsy Beans
jetbag
PurpleIvy
alec eiffel
TP
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Chat about your Car - Page 2 Empty Re: Chat about your Car

Post  PurpleIvy Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:24 pm

Flibtastic!great pic!.

Pleased to report that hubs car has passed its MOT...done nearly 155000 miles! Bad news is that both cars need 2 new tyres and hubs needs rear brakes too. Also found we need winter tyres for Germany next month. I think I'm going to do a freezer audit so that food outgoings are minimal!

PurpleIvy
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:38 pm

cool flibs. Smile
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  knitmylife Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:04 am

i love that picture thank you so much for sharing that with us.

we have a black vauxhall astra.

i use it for work and dh has a works van.

no idea about fuel or mileage or cleaning it - i drive it he does everything else x
knitmylife
knitmylife

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:51 am

Does anyone have a cover for their car in the winter, if you dont have a garage. Do you keep a shovel in the car in case of snow etc?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:55 am

We have been toying with the idea of getting a cover for the car but haven't done anything about it yet.We do have a garage but it's currently full of logs so when that's empty we might start using it for the proper purpose!

We have a little emergency bag in the car with a blanket, emergency biscuits, toilet paper, fisherman's friends and all that stuff, we don't have a shovel yet though.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:58 am

we were talking about this, but we have got an aerial on the back that sticks up so dont know what happens with that? At the moment we use an old cover/blanket to cover the windscreen when its icy etc?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:01 am

no cover, our winter emergency kit is a first aid kit, some dairy free biscuits, bottle of water, torch, new batteries, shovel and a hessian sack. jim also gets a blanket and extra hat when the weather gets really bad.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:02 am

Hmmm,never thought about an aerial, don't know if we have one on our car. Aren't I very observant Very Happy I have a couple of those reflective foil things for the windscreen. I use them to keep the bunnies cool during the summer too.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:27 am

lollyfin wrote:Well I love my car loads
Its not enviromentally friendly and goes through fuel quite a lot (unfortunately to both) but I love it
its a subaru impreza sport, its very old but so comfy and i like the fact i dont have to have a two mile clear run to overtake anything going 40 mph like i did with my last car (it was a polo)
its not the turbo version (thats OHs) and sometimes i think he loves it more than me Laughing but his is even older than mine he calls them practical classics rather than old bangers
I actually have this car because we were given it free. A guy who lived across the road from us lost his license and was moving to somewhere he couldnt store the car (and it wasnt moted and was abit bashed) so asked if my OH wanted it to do up since he already had a scooby!
I am blaming my not so frugal car choice on not passing my test until i was 34,(my first car was a renault espace to fit all the kids in) so i never had the fun car when i was young and silly so have to have it now Very Happy
I only do about 3000 miles a year just shopping, running the kids about and going on holiday
it always makes me smile climbing into it tho Very Happy

A scoobie Very Happy

I have 3 Nissan 300zx's

My favourite is my UK spec twin turbo manual modified beast and he's called Japanica.

I also have a 2 jap spec (imports) one of which is an auto and unmodified and I'm not sure I enjoy driving him as much. I'm not that keen on auto's so might convert it to a manual.

DH has a modified Mazda RX7 he's street ported and like my 3 cars very lound and fast.

My first sports car was a TVR loved it to bits but it was a company car so when I left I had to leave it behind as at the time I didn't think I could afford to run it. I was given the option of buying it when I left the company.

My next car was a Toyato supra mk4, when my then boyfriend owned a Nissan skyline R33 which I used to enjoy driving as well.

Oh dear you can see the pattern here a 'Fast and Furious' vin diesel girl racer type Laughing Laughing

I only do about 1,000 miles per year so although I drive petrol drinkers ie 17-22 miles to the gallon jobbies I really don't spend a packet on petrol.

All my cars are male and every car I've ever own has had a name even my 2 Rover's had name's Laughing

I love driving but not at night and not when it's wet or icy. I especially love driving in summer with the targa's off the car and the window's down.

Most of all I get my petrol fix when racing at Santa Pod mmmm the smell of race fuel and the stomach churning waiting at the lights lined up against another car. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Oh yes I learnt to drift but I don't go drifting any more but I'm seen occassionaly on an emty roundabout going around sideways. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:04 pm

some sods unscrewed and taken away our aerial.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:27 pm

TP wrote:some sods unscrewed and taken away our aerial.

Oh no that's aweful Sad

I guess it's an aerial that doesn't go down into the car when you park up Sad

Are you on a road where there are any CCTV camera's or where a neighbour has camera's if so ask to see if they've caught the little so un so on camera.

I hope they didn't do too much damage and you are able to pick another one up and fix it in without too much fuss and expense. It's not really worth claiming on your car insurance as it will put it up as well Rolling Eyes

What make and model is it we might be able to help you.

Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:29 pm

its a citroen c3

it dosent go down in the car when you park up and have no idea where and when it went. It could have been anywhere really.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:09 pm

Well I was glad of our winter emergency kit on monday. we set out to go to jim's brother's birthday family get together and broke down halfway there, on an unlit part of the A130. managed to coast the car to 120 metres from a parking layby but it wouldn't budge from there. ended up with jim pushing 2 tonnes of volvo and me trying to steer with no power steering and a fogged up windscreen.
phone jim's brother who is wonderful and owns a very large, off road toyota.

he came and rescued us, towed us back to his place where everyone decided we'd stay overnight.
had a great evening doing shots with my sister in law and my 69 year old mother in law, james got horribly drunk, sophie stayed up horrifically late and we slept on a floor.... not fun, I am allergic to dog and cat hair and we were sleeping in the room the dog and cats normally sleep in... it was literally the last space they had left in the house.

Anyway, tuesday: sophie and I got driven home in late afternoon by jim's mum and stepdad, who stayed for a cuppa. sophie is totally in love with her Grampy and has been since she was a baby. while i was very very ill, he ended up being her main carer 'cos james and my mother were with me, Marie (jim's mum) was supporting James, so harry spent most of his time snuggling sophie. I think she's imprinted like a baby bird because of that lol!!

tuesday during the day, james and both brothers and their step father, all hung over (apart from step father who doesn't drink) started working to diagnose the problem. turns out it's probably a fuel inertia cutoff switch... but none of us can find it. we've got jim's brothers and step dad working on it in this country, and Warren (a friend in Texas) working on it from Texas!!! he's come through for us yet again, giving us pointers on where to look for the damned switch.... but by the time he had, it was dark so jim got dropped home by his younger brother.

so they've diagnosed it, but can't find it to reset it. if ANYONE knows anything about 2001 diesel auto Volvo S80 (or similar year ford mondeo as they're essentially the same car) PLEASE let me know lol! don't suggest Haynes, the manual for our car reads "return to main dealer" for nearly everything.

well we got some good photos for sophie's holiday diary homework.... although I wont be putting in the photos of her Nanny doing shots.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:37 pm

It's usually on the air inflow pipe on top of the engine in most cars and it's usually a mecury switch that's cuts off the fuel flow should the car overturn in an accident.

It's a known problem with the volvo S80.

If you check the volvo forum which at present is down for maintance it will tell you all about it.

On you volvo there's a sensor that is attached to the bodyshell under the center console this sends a massage to the ECU to say you've had a collision of some kind then the ECU sends a message to the fuel cut out to cut the fuel.

So if you've not had an accident I would suggest the sensor under your consule might be damaged/dirty or loose connection.

To reset it you'll require a ODB2 scanner to reset the code and you'll need to know the code.

Last edited by Aisles on Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:38 pm

TP wrote:its a citroen c3

it dosent go down in the car when you park up and have no idea where and when it went. It could have been anywhere really.

Sorry I don't have an aerial for a citroen c3 I've checked my stock for you.
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:41 pm

very thoughtful of you.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:45 am

it would have had to have been a back one apparantely they do back and front! pale
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  MumofMany Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:40 pm

Opps I posted about my pets in the car thread! LOL

Car wise, I have three. A Smart ForFour pictured below the day we bought it. It's had the rear middle seat conversion so it actually fits 5 people instead of 4 now!

Chat about your Car - Page 2 N826720400_2138468_9212

We also have a Kia Sedona which we use with a Multimac across the two captains chairs so instead of seating 7, it seats all 9 of us! The Multimac is probably one of the safest car seats on the market, but of course it's also very expensive so most people don't bother with it. It can comfortably seat 4 children side by side from newborn upto 12 years old.

Chat about your Car - Page 2 384833_10151020439050401_826720400_21332742_1363389765_n
Sorry pic seems really big, it's cut off part of it! https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/384833_10151020439050401_826720400_21332742_1363389765_n.jpg

Chat about your Car - Page 2 388910_10151020438430401_826720400_21332741_1535517431_n
With the Multimac installed.

Chat about your Car - Page 2 374924_10151020440345401_826720400_21332745_273926185_n
With my four youngest children aged 6, 1, 4 and 3 (they all look messy because we'd just got back in the car after a very wet and windy walk!)...
Sorry pic seems really big, it's cut off part of it! https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/374924_10151020440345401_826720400_21332745_273926185_n.jpg

And I also have a classic pink Cadillac which we're restoring!

Chat about your Car - Page 2 N826720400_1419731_574
MumofMany
MumofMany

http://perfect-english-housewife.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:20 am

cool.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:14 am

as of tomorrow, we'll be the proud owners of a 1999 BMW 530D automatic.
the volvo died a horrible death. it fried it's own electrics on new year's day. basically the flobblegrommit on the back of the alternator, instead of passing out maximum of 14 volts, it was throwing out 20 and it fried practically everything. to fix it, it would have required a new alternator, battery, all new relays for everythig that has one and probably a new wiring loom as well.
so it went for scrap. we then, a few days later, bought a renault megane scenic. we had had that 48 hours when the turbo decided to chuck oil from the sump through the intercooler and into the engine. it ran like a two stroke engine for a while, on its own, after the key had been removed. it got louder and louder, smoke everywhere, james rammed it up the verge on the dual carriageway and we got out and ran. eventually it stopped running, just as the fire brigade arrived. I was in shock having had a hysterical, terrified fit of screaming in the middle of the A127 southbound verge. the firemen gave me some sweets, wrapped me in a coat and made me sit in the back of one of the fire engines as I was in shock. basic first aid really.
car was fuxd. it had thankfully run out of oil before it actually blew itself apart, but once this has happened, unless oyu replace the whole engine, it will happen again... or one of your pistons will break off in about 100 miles or so. and no, we can't get our money back as it was a private sale from someone who works with the brother in law. never again am I willing to buy a car from someone I know, or someone a family member knows because I frankly would have enjoyed wringing this guy's neck. jim's dad came and picked us up, and has lent us the money to go buy the new car. jim gets paid in a week so we're paying him back in installments. he's been amazing the past couple of weeks.

I suffer from PTSD, and having a massive shock like this does not aid recovery. I've been kind of scared of going out at all for a week now, but I'm taking baby steps tomorrow and going out with james. once i have done it a couple of times I'll be fine again.

so we've been carless for about 2 weeks which is hellish as hubby commutes to work and ended up taking the train, which adds 2 hours onto his normally 2 hour long commute. per day. poor bloke was knackered.

Chat about your Car - Page 2 16012012418

Chat about your Car - Page 2 16012012419

flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly blue Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:49 am

Flimbsey what a horror, mind you you did get to sit with a few firemen Wink , my ds got a bmw, he is so proud of it, not what a lot of 20 yr olds want but its safer than a boy racer iykwim and its cheaper on the insurance too believe it or not.
Thinking of changing my car having a menopausal moment fancy something topless Smile
dolly blue
dolly blue

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:13 pm

Go for the topless

In our house we have 5 altogether. DH has two convertables and I had 3 targa topped (T-Bar). ie the roof is made from two glass panels you take off which leaves a T bar across the top of my car which makes the car extra safe should the car ever roll and negates the need for a stronger/heavier floor pan you get in normal convertables Very Happy
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly blue Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:22 pm

My neighbour suggested I go topless Shocked , we were talking about cars Laughing , we have an old mini which we are thinking of selling, then we could sell the main car and get something else, sexy mad or whatever.
The trouble is I don't really know allot about different cars Embarassed don't want nothing to fancy
dolly blue
dolly blue

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:49 pm

been putting a blanket over the windscreen the last few days to keep the ice off.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:52 pm

TP wrote:been putting a blanket over the windscreen the last few days to keep the ice off.

The week before christmas our local Pound saver where selling the car screen things for £1 each they were nearly £5 in halfords for the very same item.
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next