homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Do You Dress?

+14
Teresa
lollyfin
TP
cat_smith
stiltwalker
the_cat
life_in_termoil
Anne
helen jelly
juliapenguin
Rosie
Bitsy Beans
froogs
alec eiffel
18 posters

Go down

How Do You Dress? Empty How Do You Dress?

Post  alec eiffel Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:46 pm

This is a kind of spin off from the back to school thread where someone mentioned getting dressed up to do the school run.

What do you wear day to day - do you wear "round the house" stuff so you have to get changed if you go out are are you dressed and ready to go? Do you do your hair and make up every day or is getting up and functioning as a human being enough for you?

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

How Do You Dress? Empty Re: How Do You Dress?

Post  froogs Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:38 pm

it depends really.

If I'm in all day and expect no visitors then it's leggings, thick sock and a woolly pully with a wash and brush through my hair.

If visitors are coming I'd put a pair of jeans on and a decent top, foundation base and a bit mascara and do my hair properly.

If just the school run and local shops, decent looking, a little makeup and hair done.

If I'm off out somewhere then I'll get ready properly, where something a bit better than normal.

When I make the effort I feel better with myself and because everyday is a school run day and normally the norm I feel better if I make a bit more of an effort. I don't do it for others to think 'oh look at her' I do it so I can feel better about myself Smile
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:44 am

I have to put the slap on every day. Pee holes in snow for eyes with my blonde lashes is not a good look. It's only foundation, mascara and when I remember lippy but I need it as I don't have flawless, even skin tone.
As for clothes, tends to be jeans but I do want to break away a little from that but even though I am at home with kids I am trying to make an effort. No more 4 inch heels for me though, quite frankly I don't think my feet could take it walking round to school these days. Used to wear them every day for the office but a bit out of practice now Embarassed
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

http://www.thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosie Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:59 am

Like a person with no sense of style or taste.
I very rarely wear anything other than the stuff I walk the dog in. Embarassed Can't remember the last time I put on make up or wore heels.
Rosie
Rosie

Back to top Go down

Post  juliapenguin Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:12 am

I've got a sort of uniform - black jeans or leggings + short skirt with tops which nearly all have some black in them. Layer up with cardigans and the occasional scarf and that's me for summer and winter, work and home. Everything goes with everything, I buy stuff while it's reasonably fashionable and wear it out because I don't have many items. I probably buy 3 tops, I cardigan and 1 skirt/jeans every 6 months. I have 1 pair each of black shoes, sparkly black fitflops and black Ugg boots plus fluffy grey slippers, trainers and hiking boots.

I'd love to do eye make-up but every brand I've ever tried irritates my eyes - and I can't do foundation or lipstick because of a mask/make-up phobia which I'm sure goes back to my earliest ever memory of being petrified by a clown at a fair. When DS was little I managed to avoid him getting face paints very often as it completely freaks me out. I find it difficult to even talk to someone who has visible foundation on or bright lipstick - I'm sure I need therapy!! But I love looking at people's eye make-up and long to find a brand I can use. I know, I'm weird.

juliapenguin
juliapenguin

Back to top Go down

Post  helen jelly Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:39 am

I wear jeans or cut offs everyday!! T-shirt or top everyday!! Never wear make up - can't be bothered and heels just kill my feet so its slippers, flatties or boots for me

I have a friend who can wear a potato sack and still look glam - I'm soooo envious lol

Helen x
helen jelly
helen jelly

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:07 pm

I'm a casual dresser. I have 3 teens at home, and early 20yrs old, and they are VERY fussy about what I wear, especially the younger teens, incase I bump into any of their friends lol. So when I go out I get a clothes check Very Happy The other day I had a pair of grey jeggins on with a summer top, and my 17yr old said "You'd better be careful mum, some old man might try to pick you up, you're looking good" Don't know what to do with the old man bit, but I think that was a compliment lol
Anne x
Anne
Anne

http://jer33v3.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  life_in_termoil Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:25 pm

Jeans and t shirt/jumper or work uniform or PJs!!
life_in_termoil
life_in_termoil

Back to top Go down

Post  the_cat Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:06 am

I usually opt for jeans/t shirt standard combo but have lots of skirts and dresses. They never get worn and I want to start using them but feel a bit overdressed IYSWIM.

To try and make myself use them, I have set myself a challenge.... aim to wear everything in wardrobe (I'm ashamed to admit there is absolutely loads of it as I love a bargain, plus struggle hugely to get rid of clothes) over the next year. If not, out it goes in Aug next year when my time is up!

the_cat

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:59 am

I'm a smart/cas kind of a girl, fitted jeans or trousers in the winter and more often than not skirts in the summer with a nice top or shirt. I almost always wear heels and haven't owned a pair of trainers since I had to for PE at school as I just can't be doing with them and they make me walk like a bloke! I do like my walking boots though for when I fancy a good hike. I'm not at all fashionable although I do like to be quite feminine, and some of my clothes I've been wearing for the last 10 years!
stiltwalker
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  cat_smith Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:32 pm

I slob in dog walking clothes most of the time, unless I'm seeing clients. I really ought to make more of an effort as I feel so much better even putting jeans and a bit of make-up on. Problem is you can guarantee that the day I do that one of the dogs plants muddy paws on my leg.
cat_smith
cat_smith

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:52 pm

saw someone out in the car in their pyjama top the other day.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  cat_smith Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:35 pm

Reporting in to say I haven't worn grotty dog walking jogging bottoms in 2 weeks. Have progressed to jeans. Still no make-up, but its progress. Did a sort of summer/winter clothes this week and realised I hadn't even unpacked most of the summer ones this year as we had no summer. Most of winter smart ones are still too small although I am getting there. Almost 1 stone gone. Only another 2 to go.

Really annoyed - been meaning to stock up on basic make-up and found that they have discontinued both my concealer and powder foundation since I last bought (probably about 3 yrs ago Embarassed ) Ooooh. Shopping excuse Laughing
cat_smith
cat_smith

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:56 pm

i have been wearing leggings layered with dresses t shirts underneath and cardis
or jeans and a top, my youngest says i am an embarassment with the dresses thing but i dont care as i am comfy and warm and i think of them as long tops anyway Very Happy
only wear makeup for nights out and they only happen every couple of years
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  Teresa Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:53 pm

i would say im more of a casual dresser. since having my DS's 2 and 4 yrs ago i live in jeans. hae gained vast amounts of weight and i feel at home in them. i really need to start a diet but well i never seen to have time! Im in jeans and a top daily, usually a nice top, linen etc and its usually some soft of flip flop type shoe, one with no heel/back anyway, often fronts are filled in. i do wear boots if the weather makes me (and being in scotland its often), depending on the top, if its a casual cotton type t-shirt then i can get away with trainers but i never feel 'dressed' enough (funny that although my teens i lived in casual stuff and trainers), deffo becoming more girly and i get older, maybe now i live with 3 males lol. I wear make up everyday if i know i am leaving the house, and my hairs got to be done (its short and styled and looks horrid otherwise!!). Make up wise i love maybeline dream matt mouse, bit of garnier roll on for under the eyes, mascara, small smudge of eye liner, eye pencil (for my fair brows!), lip gloss or balm and blusher. feel much more 'normal' and ten times better about myself when my face is on and the hair is done!
Teresa
Teresa

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 am

depends on the day. last year i ended up walking sophie to school in my jammies lol. I had my long coat on and boots, but my friend still commented that she could see my dotty, brushed cotton knees.

I tend to be kind of slobbish for the morning school run and housework if i have nothing else to do, then clean myself up around lunchtime. normally leggings and a long t shirt, or a dress. something stretchy!

if I know i am going out, I get dressed properly. sometimes it's just so much work trying to get both me and minime done in the morning! she's ALWAYS well turned out.

right now, I am wearing what I class as kind of borderline. jersey knit strappy tiered sundress. grey. eventually I intend to embroider wings on the back using my machine lol.

I have circulatory problems since having sophie and so sometimes i wake up wih either totally white or slightly blue lips so damage control is called for. I have got very good at putting just enough makeup on to look less like a corpse, but not enough to look made up. I like the fact that if i go out I get dolled up and then get nice coments from my friends as it's such a change lol.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:38 am

me in "CBA" mode.

leggings, hoodie type top, beanie hat to cover greasy hair.
How Do You Dress? IMG_6529
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:21 pm

coat today, and gloves maybe havent been out yet but i expect its cold.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:29 pm

I don't wear make up so don't have to spend time applying slap Laughing

I will only add a sloppy jumper/cardie and socks and slippers in the house when cold.

I always do my hair every day but that only means brushing and putting in some pretty hair slides or if it's hot and stickie day pile hair ontop of head with a pretty hair accessory.

If working on cars/garden/housework I put on work clothes then when finished shower and dress smart but comfortable and casual warmer things for winter, light wear for summer.
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  pipling Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:37 pm

Round the house its generally jogging bottoms and T-shirts/baggy jumpers. I never wear makeup at home. Sometimes, like today I wear baggy linen trousers and a long top.

I have a rule that I NEVER leave the house in jogging bottoms though!
On my feet I wear soft leather shoes, that are my "house shoes" which I wear instead of slippers.
Hair is brushed daily and washed every other day at the very least.

If I am going to the shops, its jeans and a top and maybe a lttle make-up.
pipling
pipling

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:13 pm

oh yes forgot it's bare legs in the summer and stockings in the winter if I have a skirt on. I've only ever wore tights once when I was 16years old and hated them. Ever since I've worn stockings and suspenders. Very Happy
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:25 am

today I'm slightly better than normal. clean hair for a start. classy hippy style top instead of a hoodie.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  MumofMany Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:56 am

I used to dress like a slob most days. Jeans and Tshirt usually. I felt horrible though. Recently I've taken to dressing up even if I'm not going anywhere...

So for instance today I am wearing skinny jeans an a lovely teal patterned top that slips off one shoulder. And I'm wearing knee high brown heeled boots. Yesterday, I woke a knee length brown skirt with black flats and a tight purple top. And the day before that I wore a denim mini skirt with black leggings and a floaty top (can't remember which one) and massive white stiletto heels (trying to learn to walk in them so was wearing them around the house)...

I also always wear the basic make-up if not a full face - it's amazing how good a lipgloss and eyeliner/mascara can make you feel! And I always straighten my hair - I can't leave the house without doing this!
MumofMany
MumofMany

http://perfect-english-housewife.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:09 am

I have to say, if I am feeling particularly crappy I'll put on heels to d the housework hahaha.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum