What little treats do you allow yourself?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What little treats do you allow yourself?

Post  froogs on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:14 am

Many of us are frugal I guess, coming from where we've come from but what, if any, treats do you allow yourself to indulge in?

Mine would have to be a hot chocolate of an evening and bubble bath.
froogs

Back to top Go down

Re: What little treats do you allow yourself?

Post  life_in_termoil on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:31 am

I treat myself to a wine box once every few months. My little treat is a long soak in a lovely warm bubbly bath with a glass of wine and my tunes playing. Ahhh bliss
life_in_termoil

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin on Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:40 am

bubble bath for me too even better if i have a good book bliss!
heaven help anyone who knocks on the door :lol!:
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:33 pm

Not that I want to sidetrack or start an essay or anything but that's a really tough question! Yes I am frugal in the sense that we save on what doesn't matter so we can spend on what does, but we're not frugal in the "Old Style" sense of bubble wrapping the windows and lining everything with fleece. When we were getting out of debt we cut everything to the bone - basic food only, didn't buy clothes, took the car off the road, walked everywhere, didn't do Christmas and all that stuff. There was no money for anything other than bills and debt repayments.

So now we don't have any debt we don't do that stuff. We just buy what we want to buy, that means we have to wait for anything we want but that's fine. So to me everything is a treat! I get to stay at home all day doing whatever I want, if we want to decorate then we stick £52.50 in the budget for a tin of paint for the following month, if we know we're going to want a new car/kitchen/bathroom in 5 years it goes into the budget. We make allowances for pretty much everything, so although you wouldn't know we were frugal if you came round to our house we are, just not in the same way as lots of people over on Old Style.

Having said all that, the thing that always makes me feel that we have money to spare is when I get a magazine. We didn't buy them for about 5 years so now when I wander to WH Smith to buy Martha Stewart Living it's a good feeling!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:17 pm

I know what you mean alec eiffel, we are frugal in a similar way in that we chose our priorities for where the money goes. We could have more disposable but we are real foodies so we spend a larger proportion of our budget on food and drink than is strictly necessary because that is what we enjoy so maybe that means a few less magazines or no nights out (but got littlies anyway so don't really want to) but that's the way we like it. I know I could get the food budget down by about half because I have done it on bad weeks but I'd rather not so I guess that's where a lot of our treat money goes. About every 6 weeks or so we treat ourselves to a takeaway but we are usually disappointed by it as I can generally make better although I do enjoy the rest. I do love a good bath with a glass of wine, a good book and bubbles and I make my own bath bombs etc as I love lush stuff but can't afford it more than once in a blue moon. Only started doing that for me but got so many requests from family that they are now my little treat pressies to people (particularly MIL when she's done us a favour or treated us to something).
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  cat_smith on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:17 pm

Bubble bath, good book and a glass of wine. DH not in the house to ask where he's put things, and furry beast fed so not poking his nose over the side of the bath.
cat_smith

Back to top Go down

Post  marciared on Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:18 am

For me it would be some magazines, some expensive coffee and some Thorntons Chocs.
marciared

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey on Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:30 pm

sewing items. I know, it's kind of sad but my favorite treat is a brand new bag of embroidery stabiliser and an hour or two to do something pretty on my embroidery machine!!!
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:47 am

flibsey wrote:sewing items. I know, it's kind of sad but my favorite treat is a brand new bag of embroidery stabiliser and an hour or two to do something pretty on my embroidery machine!!!

A girl after my own heart....but it 's not embroidery stuff, just sewing in general!
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey on Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:22 am

also, £10 every other month or so on books on cd from the library. they're then put onto my ipod Wink
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker on Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:38 am

Well spent all aftenoon cooking for our community dinner so feel it may well be gin and tonic o'clock after my shower! I have a chalk board in the kitchen for reminders that says at the top. "One more job then it's gin and tonic time!" with a lady in 50's housewife look jumping for joy!
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivylinn on Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:39 am

Decleor moisturiser and coffee beans.
Ivylinn

Back to top Go down

Post  MumofMany on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:17 am

My treat is the odd beauty treatment, my wine and the occasional dinner out/theatre/recording/concert...
MumofMany

http://perfect-english-housewife.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top