homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else grow their own food/have an allotment

+3
dolly blue
Aisles
bildanto
7 posters

Go down

Anyone else grow their own food/have an allotment Empty Anyone else grow their own food/have an allotment

Post  bildanto Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:43 am

Sorry if there is another thread about this, couldn't see one.

Wondered if anyone else grew their own food. We are into our third year of renting an allotment (£20 a year) and it is definitely proving money saving for us. Even without an allotment we started off at home growing food in pots in the back garden/grow beans up the fence and recently planted some fruit bushes. I have hanging basket tomatoes (little toms) and strawberry baskets and lettuce in grow bags. It is surprising how much you can fit in a small space and it has definitely saved us money.
bildanto
bildanto

Back to top Go down

Anyone else grow their own food/have an allotment Empty Re: Anyone else grow their own food/have an allotment

Post  Aisles Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:12 am

11years ago I had 2 alloments where I used to live.

One I grew veggie in the other was all fruit.

Now I have 3 gardens so I have a veggie plot that's rather large and I also have a small orchard with plenty of other fruiting bushes and canes.

I even have veggies growing in amongst my flower boarders in some place's.

oh yes and the furtherst point from the house I have a herb garden doh that was not well planned as I have to exit via the front doorwalk up to the top of the side garden past the orchard and the veggie plot to reach my herbs Laughing

Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Anyone else grow their own food/have an allotment Empty Re: Anyone else grow their own food/have an allotment

Post  dolly blue Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:16 pm

Yes I grow veggies/fruit, its a bit early yet to plant well I've put some garlic in.
Did go through my seeds the other week to see what I needed this year
dolly blue
dolly blue

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:50 am

I grow my own although sadly I don't have an allotment Sad I would love one but what with waiting listed and time constraints it's not feasible.
However I have a small raised bed in one corner of the garden and I grow stuff in pots and troughs. I can't say it's made up any huge savings given the size etc but it's so rewarding eating what I've grown.

This year I am growing the following

Parsnips
Spring onions
Red spring onions
Bell peppers
Spinach
Carrots
Courgettes
Peas
Leeks
Broccoli
Basil Very Happy
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

http://www.thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  marciared Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:31 am

Thats impressive.
marciared
marciared

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:52 am

yay my cauliflower's and broccilli are starting to set heads(flowers) Very Happy
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:20 pm

I just think if you want to have a go at growing something and you have a wee bit of space then try courgettes. I grow two as I find one on it's own doesn't do as well, despite being self pollinating. Once going they produce so many courgettes they are mega easy to look after. Just have to make sure once you are ready to plant out heel them in really well, loose soil around the roots and they don't take hold as well and die.

My list looms impressive but I shall still buy some veg as I don't have the space to create lots of produce Smile
Bitsy Beans
Bitsy Beans

http://www.thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:42 pm

Has anyone ever had any dealings with the Landshare project or similar? I really like the idea of growing veg, we have a small but ok sized garden and it would be great to have some veg growing there but I know I wouldn't give things the attention they needed so thought that might be an option. There are lots of flats and apartments here so maybe someone would make better use of my space.

Any experiences good or bad?

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sue99 Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:09 am

This will be my second year on my half-allotment. Half is quite enough for me to manage at the moment. I've still got leeks and sprouting broccoli up there. My seed potatoes are chitting well, I'm looking forward to growing 10 different varieties this year - just 6 of each. I'm also going to have a go at 'Three Sisters' planting with sweetcorn, beans and squash growing together. And this year I hope the parsnip seeds will have a chance to germinate without being suffocated by weeds.

Our allotments are infested with 'gallant soldier' and I wonder if 'no dig' beds will solve the problem. I fought this weed all last year - it's so determined to flower it'll even do it on half an inch of stalk! Rolling Eyes
Sue99
Sue99

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down