homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone else's electricity dd reduced by almost half since 2 years ago

4 posters

Go down

Has anyone else's electricity dd reduced by almost half since 2 years ago Empty Has anyone else's electricity dd reduced by almost half since 2 years ago

Post  bildanto Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:40 am

Hi, I admit I am very frugal with my electricity these days, love my 400 watt ramoska for cooking, have a 400 watt hoover, low energy bulbs throughout, swopped all my appliances for A plus when they need replacing etc, switch off appliances and not leave on standby. Before I started switching supplier I paid £45 a month for a 3 bedroomed semi detached. Having switched twice now (although staying with same supplier for both switches as was offered a good deal) I now pay £26 and am about £45 in credit. I love bucking the trend and not giving more and more to the electricity companies. Anyone else bucking the trend? We are a 3 adult, 1 child family and have 4 tvs.
bildanto
bildanto

Back to top Go down

Has anyone else's electricity dd reduced by almost half since 2 years ago Empty Re: Has anyone else's electricity dd reduced by almost half since 2 years ago

Post  dolly blue Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:33 pm

I have managed to reduce my consumption by light bulbs, ramoska and only getting the hoover out if I must, that goes for the iron too.
What hoover do you have that's only 400 watt and does it do the job.
dolly blue
dolly blue

Back to top Go down

Has anyone else's electricity dd reduced by almost half since 2 years ago Empty Re: Has anyone else's electricity dd reduced by almost half since 2 years ago

Post  bildanto Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi, I have an Oreck hoover. I got mine direct from Oreck as it comes complete with an over the shoulder hoover for stairs as well but QVC have regular demonstrations and sell them as do Amazon. I love mine. Before my Oreck I had numerous hoovers, a few dysons but I shall keep with an Oreck now. They usually have 3/5 year guarantees, have an enormous dust bag that I hardly have to change even with a dog, are very lightweight and their customer service is spot on. My small hoover did develop a fault and they collected the next day after my email and within 2 days I had received a new one back. Their look can put people off a bit old fashioned but I would recommend them.
bildanto
bildanto

Back to top Go down

Post  mollieblogs Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:19 am

I have paid £38 per month for a couple of years now for a 3 bed semi. We are 3 adults. My son has an habit of watching the tv in bed and then falling asleep leaving it on all night Rolling Eyes
mollieblogs
mollieblogs

Back to top Go down

Post  bildanto Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:46 am

My eldest occasionally does that, he's 21, but I am the patrol police now and "remind" him to please switch it off and he does sleep out two nights a week, it is surprising how much a tv takes even on standby. It's swings and roundabouts as he hardly pays any board.
bildanto
bildanto

Back to top Go down

Post  loving life Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:12 pm

Not sure about electricity but we have reduced the cost of gas by getting our open fireplace working and burning free wood. So in Oct/Nov we delayed putting the heating on because we had the fire going and probably now onwards we will do the same. Our bill in Jan was £50 less than the same time last year, hope the next one will be lower too.

loving life

Back to top Go down

Post  bildanto Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:47 am

Yes we are lucky in having an open fire too but we don't have gas where we live so have to buy oil. No surprise but we are very careful with our oil usage as well but the open fires are brilliant especially if you can get free wood, we also burn paper logs, got a machine from Amazon and use old newspapers so they are free fuel and work ok though I haven't the strength to squeeze the water out of the paper with my hands as had problems with RSI in the past so that's husband's job. Where he worked before we also got free sawdust logs now they were a good thing as well to burn. Love having my open fire though am considering getting a woodburning stove sometime this year.
bildanto
bildanto

Back to top Go down

Post  loving life Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:58 am

I would love a stove. Its true they are more efficient etc and nice to look at. I cant believe we've lived in this house 13 years and the fireplace is original from the 1920's but we've never used it until October last year. A friend of ours works on different sites, I think he does air conditioning and he's started dropping off huge pallets in our front garden. Also my step Dads friend was on a building site where there was lots of joinery offcuts so he was bringing a bag home every day for us. Its great when you spread the word. We do it this way because we started off buying bags of wood from a local discount store, 3 bags for £10 but on an open fireplace that only lasts a few days so we had to find an alternative. We also go for walks with the dog and bring back wood and sticks.

loving life

Back to top Go down

Post  bildanto Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:38 am

I was brought up in a household where there was always an open fire and as that is what I have always known it is what I would look for in a house if I brought another. I think if you are used to no open fireplace it isn't always something you think about but they are so useful even when the electricity goes out. My mum and dad have had a couple of multi fuel stoves and the heat when you walk in their house is very noticeable even though their home is a lot bigger than mine and older so has more draughts etc. We wouldn't be able to have a very big stove for the fireplace we have but that is definitely one of the jobs we would like to do soon. Brilliant that you can get free firewood, there is even a place we went past the other day that said free firewood so we are going to go soon and take a look as someone told us they have to pay to have it removed. We are lucky in that my husband's boss has some land so let him cut up some fallen trees so we didn't have to pay for our wood either.
bildanto
bildanto

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down