homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeping an eye on grocery spends - part 2

5 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Keeping an eye on grocery spends - part 2 - Page 2 Empty Re: Keeping an eye on grocery spends - part 2

Post  alec eiffel Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:31 pm

Total so far £164.61/£200

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Keeping an eye on grocery spends - part 2 - Page 2 Empty Re: Keeping an eye on grocery spends - part 2

Post  pipling Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Bought a few luxuries on the weekend Embarassed bringing our total up to £210/£250 so far, with just over a week to go until pay day.

pipling
pipling

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:44 pm

Nothing wrong with a couple of luxuries, hope you enjoyed them!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly blue Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:34 pm

So far spent £130.06 this month even treated ourselves to a ready made curry. Still trying to run the freezer down to defrost and then have a use up drawer for any odds and sods that's still lurking.
Might do a rosspa order next month after I've done the defrosting.
dolly blue
dolly blue

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi Dolly,

Sounds like you're doing well, how are you feeling about using everything up, is it not too bad or are you a bit tired of the freezer by now?

We're up to £180.60/200 Although Dan has bought a couple of things so I think we're going to be over budget this month. Which is craziness but there you go, we've been buying stuff instead of cooking from scratch and that's always going to cost more. Ah well, not the end of the world.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  pipling Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:28 pm

alec eiffel wrote:Nothing wrong with a couple of luxuries, hope you enjoyed them!

We certainly did!

We managed to stay away from supermarkets on the weekend and just went to the farm shop on our way home on friday.
Spent £30, but got some lovely fresh bread, vegetables and a leg of lamb for lunch yesterday that was so enormous we will be eating leftovers for the forseeable future!

So still under budget at £240/£250
I have booked an online shop for wednesday evening, but that will come out of next months budget.
I am getting to the point where I am scraping the bottom of the butter carton and I don't have any potatoes or white onions at all, so I can't wait to get stocked up again.
pipling
pipling

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:37 pm

Ikwym, I don't shop online very often but I love it when the Ocado man comes and I can line everything up in the pantry!

We haven't had any butter for about 3 weeks now and I have to say I haven't missed it as much as I thought I would. I fancied scrambled eggs the other day and couldn't have any and I think Dan would have made some cakes last week had we had butter in but that's all. Plus it means I'm not eating bread so that's a good thing. The pantry is still nicely stocked I'm pleased to say so hopefully I'll be off to a good start next month and won't feel the urge to do a massive shop. But I love grocery shopping so I probably will!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly blue Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:18 pm

alec eiffel wrote:Hi Dolly,

Sounds like you're doing well, how are you feeling about using everything up, is it not too bad or are you a bit tired of the freezer by now?

We're up to £180.60/200 Although Dan has bought a couple of things so I think we're going to be over budget this month. Which is craziness but there you go, we've been buying stuff instead of cooking from scratch and that's always going to cost more. Ah well, not the end of the world.

I've had lots of variety in the freezer, been a job lot shopper for so long don't need to stock pile so much now the kids are away. Its surprising how little two people eat, its like running a cafe when the kids are back at xmas.

dolly blue
dolly blue

Back to top Go down

Post  pipling Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:04 am

Today is pay day, woohoo!!!! Which means the end of my grocery budget month.

Managed to stay (just) under budget spending £243/£250 Keeping an eye on grocery spends - part 2 - Page 2 300268043

I am upping my budget for next month to £300 which includes all food, household stuff, nappies/wipes and dog food.

We have spent nearly £50 on dog food already, Shocked but this will last us several months.
I have also had a big grocery shop that stocks us up on nappies, toiletries & toilet roll for the rest of the month.
pipling
pipling

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly blue Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:27 pm

So far spent £155.78(£160.00 budget) don't think I will need anything else until March, well only have to wait till Thurs, will have to live on love if need be Laughing
Busy for the next couple of days with sewing and sorting out my camper van for the summer season so no going shopping!
will up my spend for March to £200.00 DS is home for the last week and will need to start restocking the freezer.
dolly blue
dolly blue

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:37 pm

I thought we'd gone over budget but I found a fiver in my purse yesterday. I know we need milk, veg for the rabbits and a loaf for Dan so I think we're going to be bang on target. I'm pleased with that as we have a ton of food.

Setting the budget for March at £180.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:59 pm

I know we're going to blow our budget this month, the budget has been abandoned tbh. I am so bored of feeling like I'm eating the same stuff all the time so we're planning and shopping in a different way. It means we're restocking the pantry so we'll be spending a lot this month. I'll be interesting to know how much we end up spending though.

How's everyone else doing?

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:15 am

I've slipped back into old ways and really do need to pull myself back up again :-(

Anne x
Anne
Anne

http://jer33v3.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:55 pm

It's so easy to do isn't it Anne. I needed a massive kick to get me going again! Early days but so far so good.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly blue Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:13 am

I've spent £35.14 so far, going food shopping tomorrow, got a voucher for Aldi think it £5 off £35 spend.
dolly blue
dolly blue

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly blue Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:50 pm

March spends £99.25 gosh its only the 9th, but my freezer is looking better.
dolly blue
dolly blue

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:16 pm

We've spent a lot too Dolly, a whopping £97.48 so far. I am keeping track of things in a bit of a long winded way, but that's me. We have a copy of what we've bought, a copy of the proposed menu plan, an actual menu list including ingredient list and I am now working out how much each meal is costing. I don't know if it will reveal anything but I do like having a lot of sheets of paper on the table!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:01 am

Going to ease back on watching the grocery spends a little, with more money coming in thanks to DD's DLA, my carers allowance and tax credits and LHA going up due to disability premiums, I don't need to be quite so careful. Good food is something we are really keen on in this house and DD is turning into quite the little gourmet, she'll be giving Jay Rayner a run for his money soon. She misses out on things because of her disabilities so will be nice to have a few more treat foods (more expensive not more sugary/fatty, she is particularly fond of smoked salmon!)!! Antipasti type meals are also a particular favourite and we can sit and have a lovely social family occasion (think she might have been Italian or Spanish in a previous life! Laughing )
stiltwalker
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly blue Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:53 pm

Looks like I'm over budget this month, will tally up at the end of the week, need to up Aprils spend DD coming back for a week and DS tells me he may be staying for 4 weeks Shocked
Hows everyone else doing?
dolly blue
dolly blue

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:11 am

We're going to be slightly over budget for one reason and another but the twice weekly shopping has worked really well so we're going to stick with that. The main thing I've noticed is how much I/we have struggled with buying smaller amounts. there are some things we've still been picking up enough for a week when we don't need to. But we're gradually getting used to it, we're still buying more than enough though!

I'm looking forward to next month as I think we'll be more attuned to how much of everything we need for each 3 day period. Whether we'll spend less I don't know but we shall see.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  pipling Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:17 am

I went completely over budget last month, by about £50 silent

I will be starting a new month as of the 1st with a budget of £300
pipling
pipling

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Last week was so erratic I kind of lost the plot with how much we spent - there was lots of cake and junk food, too much going on!

This month I have no idea what the budget is, I think it's £180 but we have so much still in the pantry that we didn't eat with one things and another we're pretty well stocked. We're sticking with the twice weekly shopping as it worked well for us and we discovered a greengrocer not too far away, it's a little more expensive than the supermarket but has none of the potential for impulse purchases. We're not shopping until Wednesday so we may have finally broken the cycle of a massive shop as soon as the month starts, that could be the key to success.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly blue Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:53 am

My March spends were also over by loads will tally up tomorrow, April will be a high spend month both kids are back from uni, not sure when they are leaving DS might stay until the end of April Shocked if that's the case I will have to double my allowance
dolly blue
dolly blue

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:10 pm

dolly blue wrote:My March spends were also over by loads will tally up tomorrow, April will be a high spend month both kids are back from uni, not sure when they are leaving DS might stay until the end of April Shocked if that's the case I will have to double my allowance

It'll be worth the spend to have them at home though won't it!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly blue Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:48 pm

Well it is nice to have them home, DD spends most of the time in my office studying and DS works when he is at home, they seem to know when its meals times, I done 2 roasts so far, its like a disco with the fridge door opening Laughing
Both of them don't know when they are leaving to go back to uni so I did panic buy more food on Monday.
dolly blue
dolly blue

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next