homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shoes On or Off?

+8
MumofMany
flibsey
mesh
Aisles
marciared
pipling
TP
alec eiffel
12 posters

Go down

Shoes On or Off? Empty Shoes On or Off?

Post  alec eiffel Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:23 pm

I know this makes it sound like I've had a load of boring conversations with my friends recently but... do you ask people to take their shoes off when they come to your home or are you not bothered?

My house had been a tip for years and it took months for me to get it sorted so I was made up when someone came to visit and asked if they had to take their shoes off when they arrived! bounce We don't have a shoes off policy but we do say to people if they want to bring slippers or whatever they like to wear on their feet about the house then they can do.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Shoes On or Off? Empty Re: Shoes On or Off?

Post  TP Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:09 pm

we take our shoes off to preserve the carpet etc otherwise it gets dirty. Dont really ask other people, let them make their own mind up its a tricky one isnt it?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:10 pm

i remember oh sister did back in the days when we used to go round there. As soon as you were at the door it was shoes off, she reminded you.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:13 pm

I just let people do as they like tbh. All I'm bothered about is people being comfy when they visit. Most people I know ask people to take their shoes off when they visit, it doesn't bother me but I don't really see why it's a big deal to do it.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:14 pm

what if their feet smell Embarassed
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  pipling Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:28 pm

We always take our own shoes off when we get in, But we never ask anyone else to.
pipling
pipling

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:29 pm

same feels abit awkward.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  marciared Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:41 pm

TP wrote:what if their feet smell Embarassed

Smile Smile I knew someone who used to go out in their slippers. I wonder what they wore in the house? They might have had another pair?
marciared
marciared

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:20 am

I've always gone around either barefoot or in stocks around the house.

I don't ask any one else to remove their shoes but I do make sure I have door mats at the porch door and the front door so people can at least wipe their feet before coming in.

I usually take slippers with me to friends house's and change into them tbh I don't like wearing shoe's other than outside.

I'm often seen without shoe's even in church They're usually beside my guitar stand, or next to my mircophone stand Laughing . In fact in the summer I'm seen barefoot most of the time Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Last edited by Aisles on Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling errors)
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  mesh Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:46 pm

I'm like aisles, in the summer I am generally barefoot and when outside I wear sandals so when the colder weather visits, getting into boots is a bit of a squeeze!

Do I ask people to take their shoes off when they come in? no but we never wear shoes upstairs as we have a pale carpet. I tend to take my shoes off when I go into others houses.

mesh
mesh

Back to top Go down

Post  marciared Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:52 pm

Ask Tesco. They told a woman to take her muddy boots off so I Razz heard.
marciared
marciared

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:13 am

when we finally have a place with decent flooring, I will ask people to remove shoes. until then I really can't be bothered.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  MumofMany Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:17 pm

I don't have a shoes off policy in my house. We all take our shoes off at the door, but I don't ask anyone else too. I want my guests to be comfortable in my home, and to be very bluntly honest I have to replace the carpet downstairs every couple of years no matter how good it is or how much I've spent on it. Seven children aged 10 and under absolutely wrecks the carpet. A bit of mud from a guests shoes would not make an ounce of difference to the drinks, food, sick, occasional accident when I've got one potty training, the cats, the chicken if she can sneak her way in and the general wear and tear of 9 very active people walking over it every day!

I've finally convinced my Husband to agree to let me have some wooden or tiled floors in certain area's of the house. He's not happy about it though, he likes carpet and only carpet but I just think it's ridiculous to waste so much money because we have to keep replacing it every couple of years. We've lived here 6 years now and we're about to have to have to re-carpet the downstairs and the staircases for the third time. I'm fed up with it! LOL
MumofMany
MumofMany

http://perfect-english-housewife.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  MrsH Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Ours is a shoes off house. We have a shabby chic style sign by the front door reminding guests to remove them. My experience is that the carpets and flooring are preserved for much longer if everyone does this. My 5 year old carpet looks brand new, despite having a pre schooler wrecking the joint every day in various ways. I'm afraid I am really quite anal about it, I don't mind asking people if they forget, (especially after a couple of traipsing incidents!). I always remove my shoes in other people's homes too.

MrsH

Back to top Go down

Post  loving life Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:10 am

We were brought up to take our shoes off at the door. My kids and all their friends always take their shoes off in the porch (and leave them in a pile so no-one can open the front door lol) and DH and I do the same but we dont ask other adults to. We have laminate in the hall so its not that important but still, means less to clean if its contained in the porch!

loving life

Back to top Go down

Post  tooties Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:04 am

i'm happy for everyone to leave their shoes on, my carpets knackered anyways

tooties

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:07 pm

I don't ask people to take their shoes off. We all do except DH don't know why he doesn't?? Bit annoying really out of all of us, he's the one likely to tread in something and walk it through the house lol. Doesn't look where he's walking. I always take my shoes off when I visit people. Often they say don't worry, but I prefer to.
Anne x
Anne
Anne

http://jer33v3.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum