homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you store your veggie's?

4 posters

Go down

How do you store your veggie's? Empty How do you store your veggie's?

Post  Aisles Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:41 am

I was wondering what words of wisdom we all have regarding storing our veggies to keep them fresh for longer.

I keep my spuds in a bucket covered in a couple of old tea towels to keep them in the dark and cool. Otherwise they go green and you can't eat green bits of potatoe as they'll will give you bad tummy.

I have taken note of the brussels for my DH at present we just pick them from the garden but information on the other thread is great for when I have to go buy from the shop. Very Happy

When I have to buy veggies from the garden when I've none left in the veggie plot I get frustrated they all come in plastic bags pale Plastic bags heats the veggies up and they sweat then they are all wet and start to rot Rolling Eyes I take all mine out and wipe off any water with a cloth.

Any more tips/advice?
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

How do you store your veggie's? Empty Re: How do you store your veggie's?

Post  flibsey Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:05 am

I removefrom plastic and wipe off, storing most in my fridge's bottom salad bin thingies... but those are lined with a membrane thingummy (actually used for separating water from engine oil in train maintenance sheds) so it draws any surface moisture away.
potatoes I keep in hessian in the bottom of my larder, and onions go in another one in winter, but have to go in the fridge in summer.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:38 pm

I moved my veg rack from the top of the cellar steps to the bottom, as I thought it would keep stuff better. Usually keep a lot in fridge, but over Christmas there was too much. It needs a clear out really, but i"m not having a Protein/Veg day till tomorrow and we're eating out. Might make some soup for lunchtime though!
PurpleIvy
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  bildanto Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:09 pm

We are 3 years into having an allotment and still on a learning curve with growing and storing any food we grow. This year we have done better than the last two. Onions were tied up and hung in the shed and still using them though this last frost did affect a few. Garlics the same. We are still using our potatoes, I bought some hessian sacks from Ebay and we cover them with a sheet and put them in the garage. To date no frost has got to them and they are still as good as when they went in. Peas/runner beans/carrots were all chopped up and frozen.
bildanto
bildanto

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum