homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Share your recipes

+6
mesh
myway
life_in_termoil
alec eiffel
TP
lollyfin
10 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Share your recipes - Page 3 Empty Re: Share your recipes

Post  lollyfin Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:57 pm

Alec that shepherdess pie filling is gorgous really really yummy!
I am having probs stopping myself from eating it now as we are having it tomorrow ...cant wait
I am cooking the BNsquash casserole now for tonight as well and making sunnys spicy lentil soup i threw some veg into the soup as well no probs getting 5 a day here this weekend
Just tried the soup it is also amazing wow im like a little pig in veg heaven here!
Thank you both sooooo much for those recipes they are going to be family favs from now on im sure
just keep the recipes coming Very Happy
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:26 am

The BN squash casserole is yum as well thank you
I took my folks down some and they want the recipe and are going to have it next week
so keep them coming Very Happy
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:17 pm

Glad you enjoyed it, I made some yesterday too. Ikwym about the shepherdess pie filling I always have a spoonful or two when it's cooked! Will try to think of some other tried and tested recipes.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  SunnyMummy Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:43 pm

Thank you Alec the Butternut Squash casserole is definitely going onto the menu plan as well Very Happy You're a star!
SunnyMummy
SunnyMummy

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:29 pm

some of our favorties are:
cornbread
fried chicken
koftas
flatbreads and
chilli.

fried chicken

1 mug flour will coat two full legs and a couple of wing nubbins.

dry
1 mug plain flour (i like it with normal flour, but it works equally well with rice flour, you just may need a little more wetness to stick it, and it will brown quicker)
1.5 tbsp paprika (mild)
1/2 tbsp dried herbs (i like oregano, thyme and a little sage)
more salt than you think you'd need (about 2tsps; looks a lot but it may still not be enough, you can re adjust seasoning after it's cooked though)
2tsp mxed spice
1/2 tsp chinese 5 spice (optional)
pepper
1/2-1 dry stock cube; this is also optional. if you use the sort of squidgy stock cubes an wish to add a little, add it to the beaten egg mix.

wet
1/2 mug milk, (replace with soya if needed, or just use more water but you wont get same effect)
1/2mug water
squirt garlic paste or 1-2 cloves finely chopped or crushed.
1 egg beaten (or 2tsps arrowroot beaten in 1/4 mug hot ish water until it thickens)

mix the wet in on bowl, dry in another.
pat your chickn bits dry. if using boneless, coat in the wet, then the dry and then deep fry until it floats; scoop out and drain. check temp of oil, sometimes it browns too quickly.

if using boned pieces, dip in flour or dry ingredients, then in wet, then in the dry again. pat off excess and deep fry. this should float when done, but if you're worried (I am a panicker so i always do this) then cook in the oven for about 15 mins at 180 degrees or so AFTER initial frying to set the coating.

once fried, dry chicken bits on kitchen towel or clean rags if you're an ecomentalist.

how to test your oil without a thermometer: put a cube of white bread into it. if it browns in 15-20 secs, it's perfect temp for the chicken. too quickly and it's too hot, too slowly and your chicken will become oily and mingy lol.

you can also coat onion rings with the same recipe as shown above lol.

tbsp: tablespoon, 2 x standard desert spoons which are the ones you eat your pudding with lol. 4 x teaspoons.
tsp: teaspoon, 5mls

multi use marinade
(a flibsey household staple!)

a large fistful of corriandar leaf (must be fresh)
sprinkle of thyme or oregano (dried)
juice of 1/2 lemon (or 3/4tsp Amchur (green mango) powder)
5 cardamom pods; pop the pods and grind the seeds for best results. you can use 1/2 tsp ground cardamom but the flavour doesn't last long in the jar. if you do buy ground cardamom, keep it in the freezer.
garlic, minced fresh or paste
salt
pepper
oil
red chilli to taste. i prefer fresh but have made it with rehydrated dry chillies and chilli powder.

chop the coriandar. add the dried herb and everything except the oil and seasoning.

taste.

add oil dribble by dribble and taste again. add salt and pepper if making into a sauce or dip. do not add salt if using as a meat marinade.

USE:

koftas: take 250-500g lamb mince, add above ingredients, 1 egg yolk and half a handful of breadcrumbs or rolled oats. combine and form into sausage shapes before hard frying to seal and then oven baking until cooked through.

Roast Lamb Flibble Style: make marinade but leave out salt. cut slits in the lamb you're marinading (i like leg, mum likes shoulder but doesnt put the cardamom in as she dislikes it). add lamb to marinade in a big bowl. make sure it's covered in the marinade and leave for 6-12 hours, turning occationally. roast in oven until done (lamb is about 15-20mins per lb plus 20 mins on top for medium)

Veggie Rollups: take whatever veg you have in the fridge. last time i used aubergine, celeriac, corguette, carrot, new potato, sweet potato and some tomatoes. cut into chunks. pour on marinade, stir well and make sure it's all coated then cook in oven until veg is soft. cut the carrot/root veg smaller than the aubergine/soft veggies or you'll end up with carrots in a schmushy but yummy sauce.

serve hot in tortillas with sour cream, guacamole and salad. vegan sister in law loved this with my dairy free guacamole and soya yogurt sour cream substitute!

pasta sauce: make the veggie rollup recipe, then blend and pour over cooked pasta.

cornbread; no we dont have this with the fried chicken. weekend brekkies or teatime food!

225g butter (I use vitalite marge; dont use oil)
225g plain flour sifted
225g polenta grains (cornmeal, I buy the nantco one cos it's 99p a kilo from tesco; family prefers the fine to the coarse but both work)
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
125g caster sugar
2 large or 3 small eggs
475ml milk (made it with soya once, didnt work. rice milk does though and hazel milk makes it like an amazing cake rather than a sconey bread thing)

preheat oven to 180.c or gas 5

put the butter into a 23cm square or round baking tin and put in the oven to melt
while butter melting put the flour polenta salt sugar and baking powder into a large bowl and make a well in the centre break in the eggs and add the milk and the melted fat.
mix well until all combined but will need to do this quickly or the fat will harden
pour the mix back into the tin and bake for 30-40 mins until well risen and golden brown

the bread will sink a little after cooking
can be eaten hot or cold

you can add crumbled well cooked bacon or chillis to this, and even cook as muffins.

flatbreads:
250g plain yogurt (works well with soya yofu)
250g SR flour
1tsp baking powder
salt

combine. mix well until it becomes less a pileof goo and more a ball of dough. cut into 4/6 roll out immediately, coat with oil and fry in a very hot pan. also makes amazing quick pizza bases as found this weekend.

flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:33 pm

lollyfin did you watch Nigel Slater programme?
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  froogs Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:41 am

Using up a few leeks on this tonight http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5912/leek-potato-and-bacon-bake

Leek, potato and bacon bake

Share your recipes - Page 3 5912_MEDIUM

Ingredients
600ml chicken or vegetable stock
1kg potatoes , thinly sliced
6 leeks , thinly sliced into rounds
25g butter
3-4 rashers streaky bacon , snipped
3 tbsp double cream (optional)

Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Put the stock in a large pan, bring to the boil, then add the potatoes and the leeks. Bring back to the boil for 5 mins, then drain well, reserving the stock in a jug.

Meanwhile, butter a large baking dish. Layer up the potatoes and leeks higgledypiggledy, seasoning as you go, then scatter the bacon over the top. Season well, pour over 200ml of the reserved stock, then spoon over the cream (if using) and cover with foil. Can be made up to 1 day ahead and chilled. Bake for 40 mins, uncovering halfway through so that the bacon crisps.
froogs
froogs

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:48 am

We do something similar to that with butterbeans and leeks instead of bacon. Yummy. Leeks are Dan's favourite veg, love them!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:51 am

that looks lovely
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Sorry TP missed your earlier post
I have been watching it and its really good. i loved the look of the chocolate discs with nuts.
I love the way he cooks, think i might have to get one of his books
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:45 am

ive bumped this one up incase anyone has anything to add.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3