homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Share your recipes

+6
mesh
myway
life_in_termoil
alec eiffel
TP
lollyfin
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Share your recipes Empty Share your recipes

Post  lollyfin Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:43 am

I thought it would be nice if we all shared our favorite recipes with each other and had general foodie chat.The recipes can be favorites for different reasons,they dont have to be cheap and cheerful but that is always good.
Im also asking cos im very nosy when it comes to food and love cookbooks, talking about food, eating food...do you see a pattern here haha
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Share your recipes Empty Re: Share your recipes

Post  TP Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:49 am

oh and i have just discovered making our own lasagne. Very Happy I dont know why we didnt bother before. Its so filling and nice especially with quality mince. It dosent really take long to do either. We had it last night with garlic bread and im thinking how nice it would be with some home made chips. Im loving home made lasagne at the moment.

I am sure i will be back with some things.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:28 pm

Great idea. This is my, not very summery but very delicious recipe for Rooty Chestnut Pie it's a Waitrose recipe and serves 2

pastry

1 tbsp walnut pieces, very finely chopped
175g plain flour
pinch of salt
1-2 tbsp water
75g chilled butter, diced
1 egg, beaten to glaze

Sift the flour and add the salt to a bowl, rub in the butter until it's the consistency of breadcrumbs. Stir in the nuts, add enough water to make a soft dough, wrap in clingfilm and put in the fridge until needed.

filling

1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion cut into wedges
1 garlic clove finely chopped
100g carrots sliced
2 parsnips cut into 3cm pieces
175g cooked, peeled chestnuts (I just use the Merchant Gourmet ones)
1 heaped tbsp plain flour
150ml strong beer (I use Batemans XXXB as it's Vegan)
200ml veg stock
1 tbsp fresh sage, chopped (or 1 tsp dried)

Heat the oil in a heavy based pan, add the onion, garlic, carrots, parsnips and chestnuts, cook gently for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat and stir in the flour, gradually add the beer and stock, bring to a simmer then add the sage. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.

Heat the oven to 190C/Gas 5. Put the mixture into one large or two small pie dishes cover with the pastry. Seal, brush with the egg and make a steam hole in the lid. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:37 pm

That sounds yum alec and with the summer weve just had i think it is summer food!
julia hm lasagna, garlic bread n chips... delish
I am going to try and make sweet and sour pork today from the takeaway book. never made it before so fingers crossed its at least edible. if its nice I will post recipe if its not its toast and beans tonight haha
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:41 pm

Mmmm, Friday night beans on toast.

The chestnut pie really is great, I think it's the closest to the nice comfort of something like steak and kidney pie you can get when you don't eat meat. It's also a no fail dish (especially as I use ready made puff pastry sometimes) so it's good for making for other people. Freezes well too.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:49 pm

So are you a vegetarian or vegan alec soz if im being too nosy
i am only asking as i was a vegan for about a year for health reasons and felt great but actually managed to put on weight weird eh! (was eating all hm food but it was just so yum and had to experiment with cakes!)
and it was hard as noone else in the house even really likes veggies or beans so i was cooking loads and couldnt eat anything but fruit if we went out for the day somewhere, so i caved in and went back to eating like everyone else but am still thinking seriously about going back to veganism, my doctor was amazed with my cholesterol it dropped by 0.7 in 6 weeks, they said even medication cant do that!
waffling again soz
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:56 pm

Not nosey at all. Yes we're both vegetarians. We gave up meat or financial reasons when we were getting out of debt and we decided we loved it so there was no turning back. It's been quite easy with family too as my brother has been vegetarian for 30 years since he was a nipper so my parents are used to it. I'm not vegan but we do eat vegan food most of the time as I'm not a huge fan of dairy, I don't like cheese or cream and can only cope with a small amount of milk. We're on rice milk this week which is not bad! We eat mainly beans and lentils etc as I'm not a fan of meat replacements - if I wanted something that was like meat I'd just have meat, some of the other stuff is a bit grim imo.

That's a very impressive drop in your cholesterol too, wow!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:16 pm

Im not keen on the meat replacements either, I tried the "bacon" yuck and the "cheese" didnt like it either
I dont like milk at all but do love butter and missed it a lot the only other thing I missed was eggs. I think I was trying to be too tough on myself and thats where it all fell down (as well as the cakes!) as most of my meals are vegetarian or vegan anyway except for evening one with the family...will have to think on this again !
Thanks alec
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:23 pm

I think it's a case of "do what you can with what you have where you are". If the rule is that you eat vegan food but if you really fancy something as an occasional treat then have it. We have the rule that we'll only have organic/free range dairy and eggs, not perfect but better than a kick in the face. Yes militant vegans would be cross but who cares this is about you not waving some flag for a cause. You have to do what's right for you.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:15 pm

our Saturday night tea is one we always enjoy we have it every week it dosent take long to make.

Pork steaks marinated in pepper steak done under the grill with salad, and we share a garlic bread between us. We usually have a glass of wine with it dont drink during the week so nice to have a glass with a weekend meal.

Then we just have one of those small italian dessert pot things from the shops cant remember what they are called but they are nice.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:21 pm

tenerifeprincess wrote:our Saturday night tea is one we always enjoy we have it every week it dosent take long to make.

Pork steaks marinated in pepper steak done under the grill with salad, and we share a garlic bread between us. We usually have a glass of wine with it dont drink during the week so nice to have a glass with a weekend meal.

Then we just have one of those small italian dessert pot things from the shops cant remember what they are called but they are nice.

So do you just have pepper in oil and cover the steaks with them? We use marinades a lot so it's nice to add another to the cookbook.

Are those puds Gu? They look really nice but I've never had one as I emailed them when they first came out to ask if they used free range eggs. They never got back to me so I won't give them my money - no excuse for rudeness!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:31 pm

TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:39 pm

Ooooh, my mum would love them, I'll tell her about them, thanks.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Share your recipes Empty Maltese casserole YUM YUM

Post  life_in_termoil Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:58 pm

Ingredients
2 large onions (thinly sliced)
1 chicken cube
5 pork chops
6 large potatoes (peeled and sliced thickly)
Salt & Pepper
Curry powder
2 teaspoons Fennel
Water

Method
Choose an oven dish that is big enough to take the meat and the potatoes. Start by placing all the sliced onions at the bottom of the dish, spread them all across the dish so that they’ll form a nice first layer.

Crush the chicken cube or cut it into small pieces and sprinkle all over the onions.

Add the meat by putting all the pork chops on top of the onions. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and curry powder. Sprinkle on 1 teaspoon of fennel.

Add all the potatoes and place on top of the meat. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and curry. Sprinkle the remaining fennel on the potatoes.

Add water from the sides of the dish so as not to wash away the spices. Add enough water so that the onions and meat are covered with water.

Roast in moderate oven for some 2 and a half hours. For the first hour, cover the dish in tin foil. After that, remove the foil so that the potatoes will eventually become crusty and golden brown.

I also throw in some peppers if they need using up or are going wrinkly. Yum Yum Yum try it its dead easy.
life_in_termoil
life_in_termoil

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:24 pm

that sounds lovely...kind of wish I hadnt promised everyone sweet and sour pork now
mmm might sneekly change it as that sounds less hassle too Very Happy
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:08 am

Well i finally made the maltese casserole and it was lovely recommend it to everyone thanks life in turmoil
i had made loads because i was planning on having some for lunch tomorrow but it was all eaten with no complaints so i am delighted and will defiantely be making it again soon
i was quite frugal too, since the oven was on for a while cooking it i made two loaves as well and some muffins
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  myway Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:18 am

Lovely lady's help me please. I want to make oh a fish pie, Never made one before Embarassed. He say's his Mum used to make it with boiled egg's in. I havn't got a clue where to start any help would be great thank's Smile. Will make it this week for him as a treat.

myway

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:25 am

Hi myway
the way i make my fish pie is to use white and smoked fish (you can also add boiled eggs, i use 1/2 an egg x person) i poach the fish in milk then use the milk to make a white sauce
i then flake the fish mix through the sauce and egg if im using it, put it in a casserole top with mash and some grated cheese and put it in the oven until hot and bubbly v yum
some people put prawns in theirs but i dont like them so thats why i dont Very Happy
thats my easy way, i am sure some peeps have recipes with more finesse but i like this for a quick and easy supper
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  myway Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:23 am

hi lollifin.Thank's for that, Will let you know how it goes Very Happy.

i made a really quick dinner tonight ended up doing a roast yesterday. Had loads of marrow runner bean's and potatoe's left over. I sliced the pot's and layered them in a dish with the marrow and bean's, put cheese sauce on it and grated cheese on top put in the oven till hot and had it with cold beef. It was lovely and filling worked out nice and easy as well not much washing up to do after Very Happy

myway

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:06 pm

does anyone make a nice macaroni cheese if so please share how? I love mc.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:05 am

I am making a beef casserole in the slow cooker for dinner tonight
I just browned the beef added 3 chopped carrots, 2 chopped parsnips, 2 sticks of celery,potatoes, an onion, a bayleaf and some gravy and have cooked it all day, it is yummy if i do say so myself. I am going to be adding some dumplings to the last wee while of cooking, complete one pot supper perfect.its wintery kind of food I know but i feel carp and in need of comfort food today.
I am planning on making a curry with any leftovers but have never tried to curry beef casserole leftovers before so will let you know how it turns out (if we have any leftovers that is!)
I have gorgeous recipes for no bake oreo cheesecake and also for rocky road if anyone is interested i will post them, neither of them are cheap but they make loads and are sooooo good
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  life_in_termoil Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:36 am

Rocky road sounds good!! Can you share the recipe pretty please x
life_in_termoil
life_in_termoil

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:52 am

this makes loads, I usually make it in a lined roasting tray, you can substitute what ever you fancy as long as you keep the ratios about right
1.4kg of choc any kind you like i usually do a mix of milk and dark broken into cubes
8 normal size bars i use mars and snickers or milkyway if making it for eldest chopped up
100g marshmallows
180g maltesers
200g dried fruit a mix of raisins and apricots is nice oh and so is figs mmmm
100g cornflakes
100g choc sprinkles for the top

put all you ingrdients except the choc and sprinkles in a large bowl
then melt the choc either in a double boiler or micro then pour it over the other ingredients mix together really well pour into the tin you are using pour over the sprinkles then leave it to set
i let it cool in the kitchen a bit then put it in the fridge because i am really impatient Very Happy
like i said its not cheap but makes a huge amount and is ridiculously good mmm i want some myself now
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  life_in_termoil Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:03 am

lollyfin wrote:this makes loads, I usually make it in a lined roasting tray, you can substitute what ever you fancy as long as you keep the ratios about right
1.4kg of choc any kind you like i usually do a mix of milk and dark broken into cubes
8 normal size bars i use mars and snickers or milkyway if making it for eldest chopped up
100g marshmallows
180g maltesers
200g dried fruit a mix of raisins and apricots is nice oh and so is figs mmmm
100g cornflakes
100g choc sprinkles for the top

put all you ingrdients except the choc and sprinkles in a large bowl
then melt the choc either in a double boiler or micro then pour it over the other ingredients mix together really well pour into the tin you are using pour over the sprinkles then leave it to set
i let it cool in the kitchen a bit then put it in the fridge because i am really impatient Very Happy
like i said its not cheap but makes a huge amount and is ridiculously good mmm i want some myself now

Mmmmmmmm that will be great in the kids lunch boxes!! (not great for me though as im trying to watch my weight!)
life_in_termoil
life_in_termoil

Back to top Go down

Post  lollyfin Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:22 am

It is a great portable snack for kids and big peeps. if you cut the squares quite small i think you could still have one (or if your me 10)as a treat
let me know if you make it and enjoy it and i can sit here drooling Very Happy
lollyfin
lollyfin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next