homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Corner Shops

+4
knitmylife
stiltwalker
alec eiffel
TP
8 posters

Go down

Corner Shops Empty Corner Shops

Post  TP Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:58 am

Well we have had small shops and supermarkets what about corner shops? Got one, use it? Talk about corner shops here.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Corner Shops Empty Re: Corner Shops

Post  alec eiffel Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:03 am

Within a few streets we have a few sets of shops. The one we go to mostly has a wine shop, beautician, hairdresser, co-op, garden/pet shed and a shop selling party gear. The other street has a baker, post office, launderette and mini Tesco.

We go to the co-op most often. They have some great reductions there so we usually end up with loads of cheap veg, bread and stuff to stick in the freezer. Always worth a look in when we're passing.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:07 am

we have a corner shop use it sometimes for a paper and milk thats it. Dont need anything else from there.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  stiltwalker Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:13 am

We have a corner shop/village store, the guy that runs it looks like he would rather be anywhere else doing any other job than running a shop, heaven only knows why he bought the place. The shelves are practically bare on a permanent basis, you're lucky if you can get a tin of beans - you certainly wouldn't get 2 tins of beans Laughing and he's more likely to have run out of milk than to have any - Fortunately I have a good store cupboard!!! The little farm shop is much better and has a really good range of interesting stuff and he's really good about trying to keep the prices reasonable. It opens for normal shop hours though with a half day on Tuesday and Friday so is no good if you run out of something whilst making tea at 6 o'clock!
stiltwalker
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  knitmylife Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:27 am

we have no shop in our village but the next village along does have one.

its pretty good actually. i sent hubby out the other day for kindling, coal, milk, wrapping paper and tags. he got them all at the village shop rather than going into the local high street (another tiny village) and as we know the usual price we know they were actually cheaper than usual. its all good. x
knitmylife
knitmylife

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:07 pm

The couple in our corner shop have been there for years working away open 7 days a week. They are hoping to retire now, wonder if they will find anyone who wants to take it on. Up early and doing the papers etc.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  marciared Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:00 am

I dont use mine.
marciared
marciared

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:59 pm

depends on what you class as a corner shop. we have a costcutter up near school.... but the title LIES. and near my house is a BP garage with M+S shop attatched.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  mesh Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:54 pm

I have a corner shop not too far away and when I moved here, I worked there for a couple of afternoons a week and the owner raked the money in. he was very good at sourcing items in bulk which were near their sell by dates. then we had a couple in who played their domestic life out in there, you didnt need the soaps it all happened in the shop! now we have a 'mature' couple whom I think want to retire soon and I wont be sorry to see them go as he is a perv and stocks a large amount of top shelf material and makes very suggestive comments to me, so I stopped going in as I felt uncomfortable. Shocked
mesh
mesh

Back to top Go down

Post  pipling Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:04 pm

We have a corner shop, but I'm afraid to say I don't use it as often as I should.

It has had 3 owners in the 5 years we have lived here, the first 2 filled the place with as much stock as possible and never cleaned the place - hence everything was covered in a layer of dust and most was out of date. (The first owners sold me counterfeit first class stamps Rolling Eyes , which put me off the place for a long time.)

There is a lovely old guy running the place now, and he got rid of most of the surplus stock and the video rental section and cut down on the magazines by about 80%.

Unfortunatly, I don't think he takes much money at all. You occasionaly see another customer buying a paper, but that's about it. There is a new'ish Tesco opened 5 minute walk away that took most of the local business.

I go in the cornershop to collect my daughters Peppa Pig magazine every fortnight that he puts aside for us, but I wouldn't be surprised if it closed for good very soon. Sad
pipling
pipling

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:01 am

It said in the paper today that booze was so cheap in supermarkets over Xmas that corner shop owners were buying it from there to sell in their shops. It was cheaper there than from their wholesalers? Shocked
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:25 am

I can totally believe that. I've seen shop owners do it with bread when it's been on special offer too.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  marciared Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:20 am

I saw our local corner shop man in Tesco once looking at the prices. You cant blame him really everyone does it in business.
marciared
marciared

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down