homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cutting back anyone?

5 posters

Go down

cutting back anyone? Empty cutting back anyone?

Post  Teresa Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:53 am

just wondered if anyone is cutting back on presents this year?

We are, we are now starting to 'get on our feet' financially and im not prepared to let it slip. our own sons reall need very little. Eldest probably needs clothes but we have got them 2 outfits each and they will get some things in the sales. eldest has an innotab bought on offer in argos and youngest has a wooden garage. they have a large santa xmas gift bag (im sure you know the ones i mean) full and some small presents that wont fit in. they are only 2 and 4 and have both just had birthdays so just got lots of new toys. We did exchange gifts with friends kids too but have said to them we will just do birthdays and all have been happy with this, think they were relieved, almost like they didnt want to say it first. we have also just cut a few people off the list. we need some things doing in the house so this is basically DH and mines present lol, we will get a little thing tho for the kids to give us. i have now finished the kids xmas and have made a start on the other relatives.

Teresa
Teresa

Back to top Go down

cutting back anyone? Empty Re: cutting back anyone?

Post  stiltwalker Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:44 am

Not noticably but then I'm alway the most enormous bargain hunter anyway. I started in the sales in January and spend quite a bit of time on the grabbit and discount boards on MSE for a lot of the rest. I am almost finished for Christmas but have actually started on next years birthdays as some good offers have come up that suited certain people! I try to get pressies that are individual and a little different rather than spending a lot. For example I have got my parents some lovely linoprints from www.arty-herberts.co.uk and mounted them in Ikea frames for a really fantastic original pressie for less than £15. My mum is a textile artist and my dad works in wood so they love to have other artists work around the house (but they don't do forums so safe to post here! Laughing )
stiltwalker
stiltwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:09 pm

dont know whether i am lucky or not but i hardly have any gifts to buy.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:13 pm

No, we're not cutting back this year. We set money aside each month to pay for the December festivities so it's there waiting to be used. I think Christmas will be more low-key this year, most people we know are cutting back so I think there will be fewer gifts and no overbuying it'll just be more relaxed and hopefully more fun.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly blue Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:50 pm

I've still got one niece under the 18 child buying rule, that will be money in a card think she turned 16 in march this year so only a couple of years to go Laughing
Some nieces having given birth this year but I am not starting to buy for the next generation, don't think their parents would buy for my kids kids if they breed first.
OH and I don't do gifts to each other, if we want things and can afford them we have them in the year iykwim, I would probably end up with something naff OH not good at shopping Laughing
Just two kids both at uni they will have money, will get a few daft things to put in a sack from FC.
I feel I must buy DD BF a gift he wont be visiting over xmas as far as I know at the moment but DD can take it to him when she sees him in the new year, so he is an extra this year,
So not really cutting back as I've one more to buy for Shocked
dolly blue
dolly blue

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down