homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody made macaroons

3 posters

Go down

Anybody made macaroons Empty Re: Anybody made macaroons

Post  PurpleIvy Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:52 pm

Macaroons are another trend. I'd like to have a go, but haven't done so far. Anyone else tried them?
PurpleIvy
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:30 pm

no. I only make traditional british (or jewish, or whatever) ones with almond and gooey centres and rice paper omnomnom. the family love them and they're great when sophie needs a protein burst like when she's growing.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Anybody made macaroons Empty Anybody made macaroons

Post  TP Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:14 am

PurpleIvy wrote:Macaroons are another trend. I'd like to have a go, but haven't done so far. Anyone else tried them?

Macaroons there's a word you dont hear often.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:10 pm

flibsey wrote:no. I only make traditional british (or jewish, or whatever) ones with almond and gooey centres and rice paper omnomnom. the family love them and they're great when sophie needs a protein burst like when she's growing.

Any chance of a Flibtastic recipe then?
PurpleIvy
PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:39 pm

yep...

5 oz ground almonds
2 large egg whites (if they're very large you might need a bit more almondage)
5 oz white caster sugar
almond slices/marcona (blanched) almonds

preheat oven to 200 deg c
sprinkly a large, flat baking sheet with cornflour. do a couple of mm depth of cornflour.
lay rice paper over this.

beat eggs with a fork until foamy.
if you have one, stick your almonds into a food processor and blast. if not, just put them in a big bowl. add 1/4 of the egg mixture and process or beat well. i recommend doing this with a food processor, or electric whik. it's a bugger doing it by hand.
add 1/2 of the sugar and beat again. add 1/4 of the egg again, beat/blast. add rest of sugar and beat/ blast. add egg slowly until the dough is soft, but malleable. think warm plasticine. if its too wet, add more almonds. if it's too dry, more egg white.

make small balls and place 1.5" apart. dampen your fingers a little and press them to flatten slightly. pop an almond or an almond slice on the top.

put in oven and bake until *just* golden. it is imperative your oven is hot hot hot and that you check them regularly.
remove fro oven and allow to cool on the tray. once cool, lift off carefully. dust off the bottoms and pinch off excess rice paper.

if you can't find rice paper in supermarkets, try your local cake decorating shop.

Sophie loves these and they're amazing for recovering invalids who are trying to put on weight. they're high in sugar, but also incredibly high in protein. I have found though it depends on the weather as to whether they work or not! sometimes they end up a big flat mess, sometimes they go too hard. it's all just trial and error. but even when they mess up, they're still edible lol.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:18 am

We get these lovely macaroons from the Co-op called Mrs Crimbles.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down