Slowcookers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Slowcookers

Post  alec eiffel on Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:28 am

Do we have a slowcooker thread already? Anyway, do you have one, do you like it, does it gather dust for most of the year? I love mine! Would love to share some recipes and stuff, unless we've done that already...

A friend has just directed me towards this blog a year of slow cooking where someone used their slow cooker every day! Interesting stuff.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Re: Slowcookers

Post  TP on Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:35 am

I dont have a slowcooker. Go ahead and share your recipes.

Back to top Go down

Post  appletree on Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:43 am

I have a slow cooker and love it so much i brought it on holiday this week Embarassed It is fantastic being able to put something in of a morning and come back to a cooked dinner, for example on Sunday we cooked a gammon joint in there while we were out all day then when we came back we just had to boil the potatoes and veg. On Monday we made a chilli in there on the morning so when we got back it was cooked and we just had to boil the rice. Ver, VERY, useful thing to have!
appletree

Back to top Go down

Post  TP on Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:46 am

many years ago i had a pressure cooker do people still use them? I dont use it now. Dont even have it any more?

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:47 am

They are soooo useful. Great idea to take it away with you. I didn't know if we'd use it all that much when we stopped eating meat but it's so good for cooking beans I like it just as much I think. I don't use it as often as I should but every time I do use it I kick myself for not using it more!

I don't have a pressure cooker. I remember being terrified of my mum's Very Happy They're meant to be really good for cooking beans and things like that. I wonder if they're still scary and hissy.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:38 am

i see they do special sauce mixes for your slow cooker.

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:44 pm

TP wrote:i see they do special sauce mixes for your slow cooker.

Do they, oooh I've never seen them, how exciting!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:09 pm

I saw them last night. It made me think of this thread. It said for slow cookers on the front.

Back to top Go down

Post  Bitsy Beans on Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:52 am

I have one although I need to use it slightly more than I currently do. We eat mostly chicken, whole ones at that and I cannot bring myself to cook it in the SC pale Embarassed plus I don't seem to have as many summer recipes for it either so it barely got used over the summer as I just didn't fancy the warming kind of meals.

Is that enough excuses for you? Laughing

I would love to see your recipes though. Might inspire me......
Bitsy Beans

http://www.thehamsterwheeloflife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:53 pm

We do ratatouille or tagine type things in the slowcooker during the summer. I made an effort to use ours this summer as I didn't want it to just be a winter thing. It was really useful when we were decorating as it stopped the call of the takeaway after a day of sanding.

I'll try to think of some recipes. I think I do have a couple of chicken recipes but obviously I don't know whether they're nice or not!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  PurpleIvy on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:41 am

Well, this afternoon I made some soup. I had a turkey drumstick left from the other day, loads of veg in the fridge/freezer, am clearing out because we are going away later in the week. There's a vegetable soup recipe in my Dukan Diet book, so based it on that. Added a speck of chilli to make it a bit more interesting. So I have soup with turkey stock, plus some more turkey meat for my protein rich diet. Mmmmmm

I only got my SC the other week, when I got it out I was surprised how big 6.5 litres look! My soup filled 4 1 litre tubs and then there's the turkey too. It was pretty full, as some of the veg were floating on the top! SOme for the freezer.

PurpleIvy

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel on Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:57 pm

If you want to convert a conventional recipe for the s/c then you can! Halve the liquid and cook for -

Conventional time 30 minutes s/c time low 6-8 hours, high 3-4 hours
Conventional time 30 mins - 1 hr s/c time low 8-10 hours, high 5-6 hours
Conventional time 1-3 hours s/c time low 10-12, high 7-8 hours

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  2boysmum on Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:21 am

We have a slow cooker that doesn't get used very often and DH recently bought a pressure cooker, he likes to take soup to work with him and it's good for that. Yes they do still hiss and steam and I'm a bit scared of it to be honest!
2boysmum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum