homemakersuk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christmas/Yule/anything else Food

+3
TP
appletree
alec eiffel
7 posters

Go down

Christmas/Yule/anything else Food Empty Christmas/Yule/anything else Food

Post  alec eiffel Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:49 pm

What does everyone eat around the festive period? Do you have a special meal on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day or does everything revolve around the day itself? What foodie traditions do you have

We'll hopefully be at home this year and have decided to do buffet style food rather than a traditional roast. I just know we won't get up and be motivated enough to cook a "proper" dinner. But I know we will make little bits and bobs plus the odd bought bit. For pud we're going to have some kind of sundae as we bought some sundae glasses when we were on holiday and I want to use them Smile We usually have a chestnut pie or something hearty on Christmas Eve unless we;re out visiting or at the pub. Boxing day is generally pie and crisps at the footy or rugby.

How about you?

(I've put this in the Christmas section rather than food as I'm asking about what you eat, when and where rather than recipes and stuff)

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Christmas/Yule/anything else Food Empty Re: Christmas/Yule/anything else Food

Post  appletree Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:24 am

Xmas Eve in our house we get a takeaway as a treat as we never them rest of the year, also, means no washing up afterwards so can watch Xmas film with the kids, then when they're asleep we can put their presents out and watch a Xmas program ourselves. Xmas Day dinner we go to my parents, mom does the whole big dinner and trimmings thing, Boxing Day we go to the in-laws and have the whole big dinner thing again with their leftovers! So we never normally need to buy any Xmas dinner food as not here. Things we do buy? Generally mince pies, a Christmas cake & snacky stuff for when we have visitors, plus theres usually a whole range of films on over Xmas so the kids love snacking and watching a film so we buy "picky/snacky/treaty stuff" the whole family like.
appletree
appletree

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:40 pm

we will have Turkey crown on xmas day, and for tea, buffet stuff, dips, salad, we always buy some different cheeses too. We always have some cold turkey left and have other meals with it.

We buy a Christmas pudding but dont have it xmas day as we are usually too full. We might have it New years day.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  marciared Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:56 pm

I go to my mum's and we have a choice of two cooked meats. I couldnt imagine not having a proper Christmas cooked dinner. I love the Christmas food.
marciared
marciared

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:08 pm

Well, neither of us are religious, there's only two if us here so I'd rather relax than spend loads of time cooking, neither of us eat meat or like heavy fruit cakes or Chiristmas puds so the traditional food side of it isn't really a big deal. I do, however, like parties!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:13 pm

i forgot to add we plate up another meal so we have another meal done ready for later in the week.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

TP wrote:i forgot to add we plate up another meal so we have another meal done ready for later in the week.

That's a really good idea.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:56 am

alec eiffel wrote:Well, neither of us are religious, there's only two if us here so I'd rather relax than spend loads of time cooking, neither of us eat meat or like heavy fruit cakes or Chiristmas puds so the traditional food side of it isn't really a big deal. I do, however, like parties!

i wonder how many people who eat xmas dinner are religious.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:05 pm

TP wrote:
alec eiffel wrote:Well, neither of us are religious, there's only two if us here so I'd rather relax than spend loads of time cooking, neither of us eat meat or like heavy fruit cakes or Chiristmas puds so the traditional food side of it isn't really a big deal. I do, however, like parties!

i wonder how many people who eat xmas dinner are religious.

Hmmmm, I wonder.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  knitmylife Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:01 am

not us for certain.

we will have a traditional roast with all the trimmings.

no pud tho cos we are always so full. in fact last years is still in the cupboard.

we entertain a lot over christmas and get loads of lovely extra food in. i spend the whole time cooking and entertaining. i love it.

we have a big family so its really nice to feed everyone.

we also like relaxing on free days and munching left overs so get plenty of days off too.

cant wait xx
knitmylife
knitmylife

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:01 pm

bought a Christmas pudding the other day. We dont always have it on the actual day though.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:17 am

I love Arla Lactofree. last year we had to have a cream-free christmas but thanks to lactofree we can have loads of it again this year so long as sainsbury's stock up lol!!
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:02 am

got a bargain xmas pud from the Co-op £1.25 half price and enough for two of us not one of those mini ones.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:16 pm

I'm going into town today to get my dried fruit and nuts for the yule cake from the hippy man on the market. it's a once a year cake, so it's worth paying the premium for the premium products he sells.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:01 pm

We'll have a proper Christmas Dinner after church.

We'll prepare most of it the night before and turn on the oven before we leave in the morning for church.

I do Prepare a lot of things that week.

Christmas eve we always have homemade pizza's and home made bread rolls which we have fresh for christmas morning with a boiled egg. DH love's making the bread and the pizza's. I used to do it before I even met him and his family did it together. So it's a tradition we both have carried on from each side of the family.

I make the christmas cakes yes well we don't all like the same some like nuts, some like glace cherries, some of us don't like marzipan or icing etc etc. I don't inject my cakes with alcohol as it just makes them far too heavy. I also make a big mincemeat lattist pie, and 3 big christmas puddings. I don't buy the shop bought ones as this way I know what's gone into them. We have plenty of icecreams, and sorbots in the freezer and depending how we feel I'll make custard and for DH white brandy sauce.

I make sure we have a few jar's of homemade pickled onions and pickled sliced onions well we like to put them into sarnies Embarassed

I always make sure DH has a nice jar of pickled red cabbage and I make plenty of nice veggie things for myself Very Happy

I have to make sure I've tins and tins of tuna in for DH and 'adopted daugther' but neither like salmon.

We have plenty of leftovers for the next week or so, also things frozen for later.

We normally have homemade curry either on boxing day or the day after. I meat one and a veggie one.

Oh yes and I have to make biscuits and sweets as well Laughing
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:38 am

I didnt get to the dried fruit hippy, but i did manage to get to Crazy Dan's (not crazy bob as i thought) House of Meat and ordered my turkey crown for christmas (not free range, but responsibly raised) and duck for Yule (free range, wax plucked). duck is getting collected on 21st, turkey on 24th. the turkey is a massive hunk of meat!
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:18 am

what about a drink what do you all drink with your Xmas dinner.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Aisles Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:38 am

TP wrote:what about a drink what do you all drink with your Xmas dinner.

Well normally I make a nice red grape juice from my red grapes but didn't have enough this year. pale

DH will proberly be having a bottle of very dry red wine but I don't like wine soooooo I'm not really sure yet.
Aisles
Aisles

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:43 am

I do like some wine with my meal, but I prefer sweeter wines.... and last year we drank tequila margaritas lol!!
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:55 am

we will buy a nice bottle of Chardonnay. Oh got some red wine at Tenerife airport in October called Vina Norte which is for xmas you cant get it here. I dont know if i shall have any i dont really like red.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:00 pm

We usually have clementine juice or something like that with our meal. Neither of us like wine so we usually stick to a non-alcoholic drink then have a beer or a benedictine afterwards.

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:00 pm

Had the most scrummy turkey sandwich last night best sandwich of the year. Bakery thick bread, lurpak butter and tasty,melt in your mouth turkey. Very Happy
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  flibsey Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:09 pm

we are still working through our turkey crown. it's laaarge.
flibsey
flibsey

Back to top Go down

Post  alec eiffel Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:29 am

I ended up having soup for Christmas lunch and it was great!

alec eiffel

Back to top Go down

Post  TP Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:40 pm

We got some reduced mini xmas puddings the other day 28p bargain. Long shelf life.
TP
TP

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum